henna glosses

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
mamaherrera
henna glosses
I would like to try a henna gloss, but I have two issues. 
1) Conditioner on my scalp is just a no-no, so I am wondering if there are any other mediums that I could use???
2) I have dark brown hair so my white roots, I want them to turn a dark -some kind of color that would blend, with a gloss in two hours or less.  I use frozen dye-released henna.  Would this work, if I unfreeze my henna, mix it with a medium (not conditioner), anyone think I could get a color like what I have in mind??? 
I currently do full henna on those white roots weekly, and just wanted a  lighter mix, if possible. Thanks
ACWN
Re: henna glosses

1. You can use pectin gel or something similar, or cassia.

2. You're asking for a dark color, but you want it lighter than what you have? Glosses will give you a lighter color, but its not going to be very dark.

CCartwrightJones
admin
Lighter ... as in ... less saturated color?  It sounds to me as though just going over your roots with thawed leftover henna is what you need.  Perhaps mix it with a little fresh indigo.  If you want a faster uptake, heat helps.
mamaherrera
so you all are thinking that henna glosses won't give me what I'm wanting??? I don't want copper roots or strawberry blonde, but I thought henna glosses would be lighter on my hair, but looking at youtube videos, it looks just as heavy of a mix, as my little frozen hennas that I have prepared.  I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing.  I don't mind the color I'm getting on my roots, from my frozen henna weekly.  It's just that everyone made it sound like henna glosses were easier to get it and out. 
ACWN

Nope, sorry. Glosses are mainly for diluting the dye to get a lighter color, not to lighten up the paste.

I remember once post from a lady who said she would "whip" her henna by throwing it into a bowl and taking an electric beater to it until it was fluffy. She said it was a lot easier to put in and, I think, rinsed out a little easier too. You could try that.

The only other thing I can think of doing would be to maybe whip egg whites into stiff peaks (egg whites in a bowl, beat on high until they stand up like little mountains when you pull the beaters out - be careful not to over beat as it'll collapse) and then fold that into your henna. It would dilute the henna some and you can compensate by leaving the henna on a little longer.

I'm not even sure if it would work or how it would effect the dye, or the weight of the paste... but that's the only other thing I can think of for you to maybe try. *spreads her hands and shrugs* I know how bizarre it sounds, but it works to make certain food recipes lighter... why not henna?

belovedhlin
It is possible it would work to make the paste weigh less, but I am not sure how well it would take on your hair since egg white is nearly pure protein.  It might leave the color really brassy, but then anything is possible.  If you were going to try something like this, I strongly suggest strand tests, but it's a good thought.
ACWN
Yeah, I'm not really sure what it would do, but... *shrugs, palms up* I couldn't think of anything else that would add "fluff" to henna the same way besides whipping it with an electric beater.