Overlap too dark in covering gray roots over time using heat

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
NCNewbie
Overlap too dark in covering gray roots over time using heat

Hello all, this is my 1st post, but I started using henna & indigo in March 2013 every 4 wks to cover my gray roots due to reactions to PPD in hair color. I'm so grateful for the site and for Mehandi!

I use a 1 step with 100g of Henna (Rajasthani Twilight) with 25g of Amla added & 100g of Indigo (Ancient Sunrise) with 2g of CMC added. I add 1tsp salt to my Indigo as I mix it just before adding to my henna mixture after I have washed my hair using a clarifying shampoo. I let the henna release overnight timing it and testing it on my palm around 12 hrs, sometimes longer. It varies with the time of year as to how long it takes, but once I see release I put it in the fridge and take my shower. I mostly dry my hair, then take out the henna, mix the indigo, and the mix the 2 together to apply. I use filtered bottle water. I cover my hair in 2 plastic shower caps to be sure it doesn't dry out. 2 steps scare me and the time involved would be hard. Hard enough to do this every 4 weeks!

I have purchased a dryer & sit under it around 3 hours to be the same as 6 hours without the dryer. I'm seeing the last few months with the dryer I either am overlapping too much or the dryer is too intense? So, I only did the equivalent of 4 hours under the dryer, but this time tried to watch the overlap as well. Not great coverage and what did cover was mostly a bit more golden. I just used the carrot bag in the past, but the last time used a processing bottle that I trimmed the top so the opening was large.

Does the henna need to warm up a bit coming out of the fridge of if I use warm water with the indigo is that enough? Or do I just need to keep fine-tuning my application process? I section my hair (which is one length just below my ears, but thick) first. I'm not great at this since I never colored my hair myself until last March. When I did it overall at first it really was perfect...nice medium brown which is my natural color. My colorist had it just a bit lighter than that over the years.I really do not want any more reddish tones than possible. My ends are not a problem at all. I would welcome your advice. I'm about to try again in just a few minutes, so I may have yet another result.

All said, I love my hair now. No itching, no burning, and no dandruff (which I never had before my reaction)! It totally went away with the first attempt with Mehandi! And, my hair is in much better condition.

Using all the clips is a pain for me. Is it easier for the rest of you just to part your hair? I worry that it will tangle and I will cover too much in areas I don't want. My gloved hands get all covered in this stuff! I can't see the back, but just wing it and it seems to work okay. My temples which have gray have gone all frizzy now and are hard to cover. Suggestions? I'm trying to use a spray bottle today.

Any thoughts are appreciated and would love thoughts on applications for roots to make it easier for me!!!

Thanks!

seasiren2K13
Re: Overlap too dark in covering gray roots over time using heat
Are you saying your roots are getting too dark since you started using the dryer? If that is the case, it makes sense as heat will darken the color on your hair. Unless you are going for a dark color I wouldn't suggest using a dryer.

Also, are you storing mixed henna in the refrigerator? If so, that would affect the efficacy. Once mixed and dye released, henna should be stored in the freezer if you aren't going to use it right away. Indigo should be mixed with room temperature water as hot water might affect the efficacy of it.

Do what works well for you as far as application. I find that it's easier to just part the hair and avoid clips. Carrot bags generally work well for doing root touch-ups. If your grey is hard to cover, you might want to do an indigo gloss on them after you rinse out the henndigo. An indigo gloss is about a 1/2 cup cheap conditioner (white rain and suave work well) mixed with a tablespoon of indigo powder and only let sit on the spots that are too orange for 15 minutes. This might also help if those spots are a bit frizzy.
Hope this helps!
NCNewbie

Thanks so much for your help! 4 weeks ago I only did 2 hours under the dryer and used a process bottle instead of carrot bag and my roots were light and not well covered. The previous 2 times before that I went longer (at least 3-4 hrs under dryer) and those sections are very dark, almost black.

Once I had dye release I put the henna in the fridge just while I showered and then pinned my hair up. I took it out while I mixed the indigo. Wasn't sure if getting it cold created part of the problem.Was worried that too much would release before I could add to the indigo.

I was trying to use heat to shorten the timeframe for my hair. I use the medium setting and not high. I realize I've made several different changes at the same time so it is hard to be sure what is causing what.

seasiren2K13
You have no need to worry about too much dye releasing unless it's been like 18 hours or more. Generally, both henna and indigo will work better at room temperature. Changing a bunch of things at once does make it hard to determine what the issue is, but keeping it simple is a good rule of thumb :) To avoid too much orange/red ditch the dryer and leave the mix on your hair for no more than 4 hours.
NCNewbie

Thank you, I won't worry about leaving the henna out while I shower and dry my hair then. Room temperature would make sense to work best.

Just did my hair last Thursday and so far the roots aren't too red/orange. More golden brown, but we'll see as time goes on.  I did wait almost 3 days to shampoo and only rinsed the henndigo out with conditioner on Thursday. I used the dryer and left the henndigo on the equivalent of 5 1/2 hours since I was worried that less wouldn't cover my gray roots dark enough.

The overlap is from previous times dyeing my gray roots and trying to be sure they were covered well. I wasn't sure if more time under the dryer had anything to do with darker color other than just time. Just so hard to find enough time every 4 weeks since I often work weekends as well as during the week. I realize I am stuck growing that out. Just hope I can improve the application technique to avoid overlap more in the future.

Thanks again so much!