Henna Issue

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
nycoleh
Henna Issue

Hello,

I have been coloring my hair with Henna for about the last four months. I bought a pound of it from Mountain Rose Herbs and absolutely love it except for one draw back I am having and it's becoming an issue for me. I can deal with the funky smell, huge mess and amount of time it takes to apply. But what I can't deal with is it coming out in my comb or brush for weeks after I have applied it. I have scrubbed and scrubbed and it's still coming out in this funky, gunky, green sandy muddy looking debris in my comb or brush. My hair doesn't look dirty but the funk that comes off on my brushes and stains my fingers with this muddy film does not sit well with me. Makes me feel like I have a dirty head or something. I really want to continue using it but am I doing something wrong?

seasiren2K13
Re: Henna Issue
I have never tried the Mountain Rose Herbs henna, but it sounds like you might need to sift it before use. I use the Ancient Sunrise henna and have not had a problem with debris sticking in my hair, but I know that the Body Art Quality henna  tends to be sifted more finely. Does it come in a powder or is it kind of chunky?
Carrie
Sifting it is a good idea.  You may need to fine-tune your rinse-out procedure as well ... I like to soak it out initially by lying down in the bathtub full of water. Then apply lots of conditioner to loosen any remaining paste, and shower that out, repeat a couple more times with conditioner and rinsing, then shampoo once or twice!  It takes a lot of water to get all the paste out, and that's with high quality, finely ground and sifted henna. I remember using rougher stuff back in the 1980s when that was all I could get, and it was definitely a mess to get in and out of your hair.
nycoleh
I will have to try that. I don't typically use a lot of conditioner and that may be the problem. I tend to use shampoo mostly because my hair tends to become oily if I use a lot of conditioner. The henna that I use is in powder form and is ground pretty well. Its the consistency of loose cosmetic powder. I will try the tub and conditioner first and then if that doesn't work after a bit I may just have to switch brands.
HennaGal
admin
I like to saturate my hair with conditioner and let it sit for about 2 minutes then shampoo really well. I repeat until my hair feels grit free!
seasiren2K13
Yes, I agree! You have to use conditioner when rinsing the henna out. I will use conditioner, then shampoo, use conditioner, shampoo... lol However much it take to get the mud out. Then you can shampoo it the last time and that should help with the oiliness.
ACWN
If your shower head has a massage or higher pressure setting, you can also use that to sortve "beat" the henna up and break it up, also helps rinse it out. I've used that in the past prior to washing with shampoo and conditioner and it works really well.