FGM and British Law

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hennacat
admin
FGM and British Law

Here is a well balanced piece from the Guardian about FGM http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jul/25/female-circumcision-children-british-law

hennakatrin
admin
Re: FGM and British Law

I was just about to put it up - really interesting piece of reading, indeed.

Waris Dirie is one of the FGM Somali woman and has (co)written her autobiography, quite an interesting piece of reading.

xyz
Re: FGM and British Law

I can't remember if I read this through this forum first, but here's an article about ways in which some henna artists are supporting mothers who do not want their daughters be cut.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nycity-news-service/sudans-female-genital-mut_b_246333.html

BTW--it's happening in significant numbers here in the USA too.  I teach elementary school in the greater Washington DC area and I suspect MANY of my girls have gone through this procedure, some overseas, and some done here.  So far it's been almost impossible to get reliable information...but you know little girls, they'll tell you things they don't realize they are not supposed to talk about with outsiders. My sweeties looooove me and hardly see me as a stranger, so sometimes we get chatty--and more times than I ever wanted to hear it, they've told me about the time they had a "very special growing up party" or a "girl to woman celebration" or a "good wife ceremony" and how it was so scary, and how they cried a lot, and got sick, and ate lots of ice cream and almonds with honey  "but now I'm good and I'm like my mom and my sisters down there" and that when they grow up, "I'll be clean and good for my husband".  They truly feel proud and connected to their culture, you can see that this becomes an important part of their identity.  We (the counselors, medical staff, and myself) have been talking to same-culture organizations that educate women about FGC/FGM to see how to address the issue from a human rights and wellness perspective, but such things move so slow...and while FGM/C was declared illegal in the US in 1996, there are still constitutional and civil rights issues to consider...prosecuting is hard (and is it really the best way to stop its generalized practice?) and secrecy makes it all the more difficult (the very same girls who have told me had later denied ever mentioning such things)...it's not easy, as you can imagine.