gray roots

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
gulfy
gray roots
I have dark brown hair and have to color my gray roots. I love henna and what it does to my hair, BUT I used a dark brown henna and my roots came out a light brownish red while the rest of my hair looked great with darn brown. I will not go back to chemical hair color. Can anyone help me out? What color do I use or what do I do to make my roots match my hair? I'd go lighter with all my hair if I could but that doesn't seem to be too possible. So basically my question is - how can I get my gray roots to be darker? I am new to this forum and wanted to thank you for accepting me.

Jen
Re: gray roots
You'll need a combination of both henna and indigo. Mix up your henna ahead of time, like usual, then right before its time to apply, mix indigo in a separate bowl with water. Once that's well stirred, mix the two pastes together and apply.

For medium brown use equal parts henna and indigo. For dark brown use 1 part henna to 2 parts indigo. Mehandi makes pre-measured kits for both.

gulfy
Thanks so much Jen - sorry about the post that I couldn't see yours! lol I was just so happy to see someone replied. THANK YOU
macriley
Jen, how long do you leave a hendigo mixture on, since the indigo only works for 1 hour? I leave the mixture on for 3.5 - 4 hours and that's barely dark enough for my gray roots. They end up brassy.  Thanks
HennaGal
admin
Indigo colors for about 2 hours. You might try leaving the mix on for 2 hours. Sometimes less is more with brunette mixtures. You can also try hennaing  your hair first, then apply the hendigo mix for 2 hours.
gulfy
When you say 1 part henna to 2 parts indigo - can I use the so called dark brown henna I have or the natural (red) henna. I want to get my hair right! So thankful for this forum and all of you.
ACWN
Henna does not come in colors, if it does its either premixed or compound (chemicals). The mixes we talk about here are pure plant dyes (straight henna and straight indigo, for example) that are combined after being mixed with a liquid by you and not in the same package before you get them.
sachin0990
Very useful information. Thank you for sharing it.
Carrie
It's not exactly accurate to say indigo only works for 1 or 2 hours. It's strongest for the first 3 hours but continues to deposit dye longer than that. For example, a 5-6 hour application of henna/indigo mix for a brown result on gray hair will usually give a darker color than a 2 hour application.
macriley
How do you leave it on for 5-6 hours? I can't stand to be cooped up in the house that long and my head gets so heavy. I have to cover my roots every 5 weeks, so this is a frequent problem. If I ever got the mixture right, I'd just do the roots, but I'm still playing with the overall color. There's no way I'd do the process in 2 steps. It sounds like it would be extremely time consuming and double the mess. Also, I know this site recommends covering your head with a ski cap or something, but I have a big head and that doesn't work for me. The sides, temple area, and nape of the neck would still be exposed.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Carrie
If you have a large rag, like an old T-shirt that you can cut up, you can make a long scarf-like shape out of it and wrap that around your head. 

I have a cuffed knit watch cap that's dedicated to henna use only, on the large side.  It covers everything, and I have a large head, too.  Like this:  http://www.oneinhundred.com/upfiles/upimg3/Economy-watch-cap--5289823.jpg

You need to find some way of keeping the body heat in, since that helps with the color. Using a towel will get extremely heavy and probably give you a headache or neck ache, so a hat or scarf would be better.

What some people do to avoid the tedium of wearing henna paste that long, is sleep in it overnight. Just wrap up in plastic and a hat or scarf/turban thing, and then cover your pillow with a folded towel in case of drips.