Help, all my samples turn the same shade of orange

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
HennaKin
Help, all my samples turn the same shade of orange
Hello lovely ladies (and gents?) of the community. First a bit of background on my hair. I seem to have a mix of slightly different hair colors, textures and thickness (most of it pretty fine) with no grays really (except an occasional stray). When I lived in NY my hair was darkish blond which oxidized to a lovely honey color, but I moved to FL years ago and gradually my hair turned an ugly ashy blond so I lifted it from about a 7 to about an 8. The sun then bleached some strands (and the ends) to a 9-10 causing some damage and making it hard to grow out (having to trim the ends early), but making it blond instead of brassy. I decided to go natural and started using Morocco Method products and stopped doing my roots. Now I find I need something else to blend them and so I started researching henna. First I did a cassia application, which darkened my hair slightly but did nothing for my roots (they were just to ashy), and left my hair feeling like straw. I decided to try henna next. I got samples from mehandi and they all came out almost the same shade of oranghish-red on my hair (even the burgundy). I should mention here that when I chemically treated my hair previously, it had a tendency to pull orange regardless of which shade I used, even ashy tones and even using a red/gold corrector! I next tried adding Amla in addition to the henna (forsaking the acid of course), same result. Next I added indigo right before putting it on my sample and got a rather unflattering brown. I am trying to get my hair similar to this lovely cinnamon red Kitty got (lucky lady!) http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/kitty/ Now, I know it won’t be so dark on my bleached tresses but as long as it’s within this color the shade won’t matter. Any ideas? I would be grateful for any help at all :)
Jen
Re: Help, all my samples turn the same shade of orange
How long has it been since you did your samples. I would give them a week before you judge the color. The orange tones down a LOT.

Mehandi doesn't have a burgundy so I'm not sure what you had there. Maybe it was a blend from the mixes page where you saw kitty's results?

I want to make sure you know that you can't lift or lighten color with henna. Your hair may not be light enough to get a cinnamon color.
HennaKin
Thank you Jen! Yes, I am aware that I cannot lighten hair with henna, I was actually trying to darken my hair. The samples are over week old, they have darkened slightly but not very much. They are all very close in shade/color. They’re not bad, mind you, they’re just not close to the reddish/cinnamon color I wanted. I am afraid I might have been misleading as well, I did not mean burgundy, I meant the henna for gray hair with high dye content, sorry! ☺
HennaKin
I forgot to ask another question. So I got impatient waiting for more henna, and decided, what the heck, lets just do a gloss, I mean I will need to do more than one application anyway right? Let’s go ginger! I had almost the whole high dye content sample pocket left and a little bit of Rajasthani Twilight and Rajasthani Jasmine which all together came out to be just a bit over a tablespoon. I developed it with lemon juice and after reading all of the gloss posts (at the last moment) I decided to save half and freeze it (wasn’t sure how much dye would actually be there), then mixed it Euro oil, coconut milk, honey and fenugreek powder (it suppose to help stimulate growth), and thickened it with xanathan gum; applied and left for 2 hours. It came out kind of a darker honey blond and evened out my hair a lot blending the roots slightly more (but not enough) into the lengths. The ends are still lighter but noticeably darker than previously. It really is a lovely color but not even close to ginger ha ha. I will have to repeat the application. My hair however feels like straw, absolutely awful, and not even conditioning or applying oil at the ends has helped it (also, no particular shine or health to it, just a dry mess). I did rinse well and shampooed. It particularly irks me because when I washed it before applying it was lovely; soft and manageable, and had nice lift at the top. I thought by using the Euro oil and the coconut milk and honey it wouldn’t feel this way. I really didn’t want to use a regular conditioner as a base because I have been avoiding those and my hair was doing so well! How do I overcome this nasty dryness in the future if I want to continue hennaing?
Jen
Henna is all the same color. The only difference is how much dye is present and sucked up into hair. If your strand tests stay the same, I would say that indicates that is the darkest color you can achieve no matter how much dye is present. I do suspect the orange to disappear some though.

To prevent dryness, I would suggest mixing with apple juice instead of lemon. This will give a shorter dye release time, but should provide the same depth of color with less dryness. Then do a hot oil or moisture treatment separately AFTER hennaing.