Purple pigmentation Shampoo to Control the orange shade

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
seen
Purple pigmentation Shampoo to Control the orange shade
I have dark hair with 50% grey. I did the 1 step hidigo for my hair( only under the hair crown area to test it). I did 1:1 ration- used bottled lemon juice to mix with henna, salt was added to indigo. I kep the minidigo in my hair for 4 hours then washed the henna out with a Platinum hair care shampoo that deposits purple-blue pigmentation to make sure that I control the red hue in you. I also used conditioner as my hair get tangled easily. I can still see orange in it specially in natural light. I have more grey in the crown area and I am afraid that the hair will show some more red and orange color in a way that I won't be able to hide once I hindigo all of my hair. Any thoughts about the orange/reddish hue? Is it ok to use the colored shampoo? Will indigo gloss help and how should I do it? I really like how henna makes my hair healthy, soft and shiny, but I years ago I put off with henna because of the the orange color it adds to my hair. I need expert advice to control it now. Please help.
ACWN
Re: Purple pigmentation Shampoo to Control the orange shade

We actually advise against using shampoo for the first 48 hours because it can pull the indigo out and result in more orange tones in the hair.

You can do a quick indigo gloss - indigo powder in water based conditioner, recommend 10 - 15 minutes - to restore the brown tones. Avoid shampoo for a couple days. Rinse with conditioner only.

Also recommend a longer application time. People have been finding that 5 - 6 hours works best for stubborn color and staying power.

seen
I will try the gloss and report the results. I will give it a few days for the color to settle down.
I will report the results.
Thanks
jannahwilson
You might be using different type of henna, I have that similar problem before, and I was using a black henna shampoo and it turns to have good result, in fact that idea was recommended by my friend Junie who works as online shopping consultant of http://www.shoppingformen.com.au/ and he taught me of many skin care and grooming tips.
ACWN

There is no such thing as "black henna", Jannah. At best its mislabeled indigo. At worst, its straight PPD - a nasty, NASTY chemical that can leave you with burns/blisters on your skin, sensitivity and severe allergic reaction... and even cancer.

Typically the henna we talk about here is sold by this forum's host site and is lab tested by an independent lab to be 100% safe and pure. No chemicals, no nothing. Truth of the matter is, most people switch from other brands TO this henna because its a safe, high quality and permanent dye.

I'm not sure what you're using, but if its a shampoo and you're getting color from it... its not henna! I doubt theres anything *good* about it.

Clouds_Descending
Lemon juice as your acid can cause your henna to go more orange. Customer service is currently doing lots of testing and they have found some juices interact differently with henna- it's very fascinating! give them a call at 1-855-MEHANDI and they'll be able to help you figure out which henna/juice combo will give you the exact results you're looking for :)
newillig
What would help greys be less orange and more of a deep red?  I would guess I'm about 10% grey (more silvery white and coarse) and dark brown with a natural red tone in sunlight.  I have been mixing 200g henna w/lemon juice + ground cloves for the smell + about 30g indigo w/water.  I leave it on for about 6 hours.  I'm happy with the coverage on my brown hair, but would like the greys to be less flaming orange after the initial application.  I generally do my roots and then about 10 days later do a whole head application.  After the second application the roots on the greys are a bit more toned down, but still "oranger" than I would like.
ACWN

What henna are you using?

What indigo?

How are you mixing each one?

How long are you letting them sit?

Are you covering the henna with plastic wrap while it dye releases? And by that I mean putting plastic wrap to the surface of the paste. 

Are you checking for dye release or just assuming?

Are you covering your hair with plastic then something to keep it warm?

newillig
Rajasthani Twilight Ancient Sunrise Henna + Ground Cloves mixed with Lemon juice until mashed potato consistency.  Allowed to sit for 12 hours, covered with plastic wrap.  Plastic wrap goes directly on the surface and then a couple layers over the bowl.  Dye release check almost always yields a bright carrot orange.

Sudina Indigo Ancient Sunrise mixed with water until stirred yogurt consistency (sometimes thinner) and then added to Henna mixture. 

Mixture is always applied to damp freshly shampooed hair.  Hair is shampooed until "squeaky" clean, to ensure all the oil is removed.  If my hair is particularly greasy I'll do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after shampooing.

Once the mixture is applied I cover my whole head with plastic wrap and then an over sized shower cap.  I leave it in for about 6 hours (sometimes longer if I sleep with it in) but no longer than 7 hours.

ACWN

Interesting. Uhm... Best I can offer is to try freezing your henna once it dye releases first - it bursts the cell walls and releases a lil more dye. Put dye released henna in ziplocks, mush flat and freeze. Once solid, pull out and thaw at room temp.

Replace the shower cap with a wool beanie.

HennaGal
admin
It's certainly okay to use a color shampoo, but you might 48 hours as suggested in a previous reply.  I've rinsed my hendigo out with this http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clairol-Conditioner/SBS-320062,default,pd.htm... An indigo gloss will definitely help with the remaining orange tones.