Has using henna improved your hair strength/texture?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
irs
Has using henna improved your hair strength/texture?
Hello!
I have quite thin, mousy brown hair, not a lot of it. Hate the colour and want to change it, but seeing that my hair is so thin (and I find a lot of it on my hair brush lately), I wanted to minimize the chemicals I put on it..and so, I've ordered some henna from Mehandi and waiting for it to arrive.

My concern, though, is that while reading the many postings on this forum, I saw someone say that using henna has given her "flat hair". Has anyone noticed the same? I'm worried, as with my hair being so thin, flatness is something I'd like to stay away from...

To summarize: have any of you experienced something like this (the flatness)? Also, did you notice improvement in texture, strength, etc?

WOuld appreciate your feedback!
Thanks!
seasiren2K13
Re: Has using henna improved your hair strength/texture?
Henna coats the hair and will make it thicker, stronger, fuller and shinier. It can make the hair feel a little heavier but the overall quality of your hair should be much healthier! :)
Carrie
My hair is fine, straightish, and was oily before I started using henna some years ago. After I'd done 5 full strength hennas or so, my hair was definitely thicker, stronger, shinier, and also straighter, and oilier. I used some amla and that took care of the "flat" hair.
HH
I just started using henna. I've done 2 full strength full-head hennas so far. For years, I chemically colored my hair, and for years it has been dry and damaged, dull and heavy, and wouldn't hold a style, and it came out in unnerving amounts in the shower and in my hairbrush. Now, after just 2 henna treatments, it is soft, shiny, full of body, and looks gorgeous and styled with no products and no styling! I just comb or brush and and it looks amazing all day. And the amount of hair in my hairbrush is minimal. I can't get over how much, and how quickly, it has improved the health of my hair. I know from reading this forum that over time, henna can have a relaxing effect on waves and curls. Maybe that's what they mean by "flat." But at least in my case, it's not flat in the sense of no body -- quite the opposite. It's got more body and bounce than ever, I believe because it's healthier. If you're worried about loosening of waves, I believe using amla will help. If you're worried about lack of body, I think you may find it's not an issue... Or, if it is, your hennaed hair will probably respond well to some styling to enhance the body. I'm no expert, but I know that my experience with henna has saved my hair and changed me from a girl who hated her hair to a girl who can't stop looking in the mirror and touching my silky hair!
nanay
my hair is naturally thick, coarse and wavy.. I had it relaxed 6 months ago and was starting to get dry and brittle.. after henna.. my hair seemed to be stronger while at the same time smoother and shinier.. before henna -- I pre-washed with 4 tbsps of baking soda dissolved in 1 liter of distilled water.. rinsed with tap water then made a final rinse of 2 liters of distilled water.. this is to ensure there are no other deposits in my hair before henna.. after henna-- I then conditioned my hair.. worked well so far...
Jen
I've been using henna on my hair for about 6 years. It is thicker, healthier, and the terminal length is about 3 inches longer. My hair was very fine and had lots of fly aways. Between using henna every 8 weeks or so and zyziphys about ever other week, that problem is gone.
irs
Thank you to all that have replied....

I'm kind of chickening out now.....worried about the permanence, and the undpredictability of the colour....
At the same time, my hair needs help- it's thin, weak, and not improving at all.

Should I try  zizyphus first maybe? To strengthen? Will I be able to use henna with good results after?

Thanks again!
Jen
The effects of zizyphus are temporary, and I don't think its adding strength. Just body and a sort of thickness. If you're afraid of the color try cassia instead. It does everything henna does without the color, but not quite as hard. Cassia will give pale gold on white hair, add a little oomph to blond, and will not show at all on brown or black hair. It will condition and add strength. Most people find that it needs to be done more often than henna to keep up those effects though. I think it would be a great place for you to start.
Carrie
I agree, cassia is a good one for you to start with.  Hairball or strand testing can also build confidence, if you decide you want to go for henna.
irs
Thank you for the reply.

If I use Cassia, and then decide to finally try henna- will henna work over Cassia?
Jen
Absolutely. No problem there at all.