Want brownest result from high dye henna

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
ndrasmith
Want brownest result from high dye henna
Hello, could you give me best bet instructions for getting the brownest result from using high dye henna on salt and pepper hair? Freeze the mixed henna? Use amla? lemon juice? both? Wash hair with dishsoap first and dry completely? Leave on over night with a wool hat over plastic wrap? Don't wash hair for several days? Anything else? And how do you protect the hairline from getting stained? Thank you!
ACWN
Re: Want brownest result from high dye henna

Henna cannot produce brown shades on its own. Its tones are always going to be red. To get more brown results, you need buxus or indigo, which have blue/green dyes.

Amla will help reduce the red tones, making it more of a dark chocolate vs a milk chocolate color. LJ wont be needed with amla as amla is just as acidic and both would be too harsh on your hair.

Yes, washing with dish soap will help. We do typically recommend on damp hair for covering missed spots, but you might have more success over dry hair.

You need to cover with plastic and a wool cap any way.

You'll probably want to wait 48 hours any way.

You could use Vaseline, but it would inhibit dye uptake on any hair that's touched. Just wipe up any drips and if you have staining, scrub well with something that will exfoliate, it wont last very long.

ndrasmith
I did strand testing with henna and indigo at 2:1, 1:1, and 1:2 and was impressed with how brown it was, but I was really hoping for a rich auburn. My straight henna strand test seemed really orange, but from what I've read, body heat also affects oxidation and my strand test got no body heat. So if I use amla instead of lemon juice, will it be more likely to give me a deeper auburn? Should henna be applied to wet or dry hair for best results?
Thank you so much!!
Sandra
ACWN

Strand tests should be covered and kept warm to mimic the process you do while its on your head or you wont get a true result. The orange could also be a result of it drying out if you didn't cover it. Plant dyes cant work when dry!

Its really more about your starting color, the strength of the henna and how long you leave it on rather than what you mix it with. A stronger acidic mix will, however, penetrate into stubborn gray better than a less acidic mix.

Towel dried/damp.

Carrie
I'm unclear if you want "the brownest  result" like you mention in your first post, or a "rich auburn" like you say later?
ndrasmith
Sorry for being unclear; I'm wanting to try to achieve the deepest auburn possible, which I'm interpreting as more brown than orange, from henna alone. When I strand tested with indigo added it was too far brown, but henna alone seemed more orange than auburn. My strand test conditions  were less than ideal, and I'm willing to go ahead and henna my head but wanting to do everything I can to try for the deepest auburn result before adding indigo.
Sandra
Carrie
okay : )

you do really need to keep your tests close to body heat temp (carry them in a pocket, set them under a desk lamp - something to keep them a little warm).

If that change doesn't help, try using less indigo than you did in your "too brown" tests, and also try leaving it on 4-5 hours, unless you've already tried that.
ndrasmith
One more question; just got my henna today, and thinking that lemon/citrus juice is irritating to my hands. Could I use cranberry juice?
Carrie
cranberry juice has a pH of 2.4 which is just about like lemon juice - you can use it, and expect dye release to take just about as long as with lemon juice.
ndrasmith
So my hair is very vivid and very orange, especially around the face where it was the most grey. At  least Halloween is coming up! It's been a couple days and I know I can expect it to deepen a little more, but I don't know if I can live with the shockingly vivid red hair. I saw a post about black bean water on the forum; is it necessary to do that at the same time or can I try the black bean water several days later? Otherwise, how soon can I do a henna/indigo treatment?
Thank you,
Sandra
ACWN
If you can give it a couple more days, try to.. at least to see how much more it will oxidize. But you can do a hennigo whenever, and I think the same can be said for the black bean water.
Carrie
Black bean water can be done at any time, but it gives a cool purplish brown - it counters the warmth of henna pretty well but the color is a bit unusual. There are a number of pics on my Flickr, here's one:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/9273790412/
ndrasmith
I actually really like that color! It reminds me of when I was in high school and would use purple mousse in my brown hair. I also looked at your other pictures and like your results with the indigo gloss. My grays are still really orange, but I will wait a few more days to watch the oxidation. It just isn't working with my pink skin, I look really washed out.
ndrasmith
So after doing some research on the forum I realize I was asking the wrong question. I was wanting the deepest most burgundy result, and from what I've read it sounds like I need to do several applications of high dye henna. I'm sitting with black bean water in my hair and will let you know if I get any result, I had a heck of a time putting it in my hair, though. No matter how much corn starch I added it never thickened up. Can you think of any other way to get the black bean water on the hair? I wonder if it would work to mix the henna with black bean water and vinegar? Or maybe get something like hibiscus powder and mix that with black bean water to make a paste?
ndrasmith
Black bean water fail. No discernible effect after several hour. Just a lot of drippy corn starch.
Carrie
I got the most results from black bean water when I used it as a second step on hennaed hair. When I mixed it with henna it didn't change the color greatly. Little bit.

For deep burgundy you can simply do henna multiple times, and black beans wouldn't really help unless your hair wasn't getting darker with multiple hennas alone.
Carrie
If corn starch didn't thicken it up enough, you could try Thick-It which is sold in drugstores to thicken liquids so folks with swallowing problems can consume them without choking. It will be next to the Ensure and diabetic foods.  Or instant vanilla pudding mix.
ndrasmith
Thanks, Carrie! I saw some pictures of your tests with different liquids and it looked to me like you got a gorgeous rust color using chamomile tea. I also saw you had some similar results using amla and henna. My hair where it is maybe 5 % gray has oxidized to a beautiful deep auburn, but the mostly gray section around the face remains very red-orange with a brassy yellowish tinge. Will using chamomile or amla help tone that down or will I have to add some indigo? Would I get better results cooling the flame with a weak indigo gloss so it won't go so brown? One thing I'm seriously loving is after the first couple of days of my hair feeling like horse hair, it is now silky and I can touch it with no frizz! I have very thick unruly wavy hair and this is the silkiest it has EVER felt in my life!
Carrie
Those bits at the temples can stay persistently orange, I know. A weak indigo gloss just on those spots might brown them a little or tip them over into the purplish side. Either way it will probably fade in a dozen shampoos, so could be worth a try.