New to this. Have a question about mixing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
kileedo
New to this. Have a question about mixing.
So, I finally took a trip to Empire today and bought a box of Rajasthani Twilight for my hair (I have a lot of hair). I have been reading information on this site for a few weeks now to make sure I've got everything that I need to do straight, but I just read through the instructions that came with my box of henna and I'm totally lost. Everywhere I've read I'm told to just mix the henna with lemon juice. The instructions that came with my henna, however, say to mix with "diluted lemon juice." So... Which is it? Do I need to dilute the lemon juice or not? If I do, how much do I dilute it? Also, I had my fiance buy some lemon juice for me while he was at the store this evening, and it's "ReaLemon 100% lemon juice from concentrate with added ingredients. Natural strength." Wasn't expecting the "added ingredients" part. Is this lemon juice okay to use? While I'm at it, I may as well ask a couple other questions I've been asking myself. If I want a color like this: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/anya/ Is there anything special I need to do? Or can I just mix it with the lemon juice and let it do its thing? My hair right now has about three inches of my natural color, which is a dishwater brown (dark blonde? light brown?) with copper and platinum highlights. The other... feet... are a dyed medium mahogany brown with some definite copper tones to it. I guess it's somewhere between medium and light. It's not very dark. But anyway. Will I be able to get a color close to this? I'm not getting my hopes up about being able to get that color after the first henna application. I assume it will take a few. But I would honestly be pretty happy with with a color like what's on the cover of the "How To" PDF booklet on this site in the interim. I do believe that color is the result of the main henna example within the PDF booklet? Anyway, sorry for rambling. Any answers will be appreciated!! :)
ACWN
Re: New to this. Have a question about mixing.

I *believe* (but could be wrong) they recommend diluted lemon juice because LJ's acid can be really harsh on hair in a lot of cases, leaving it dry. Diluting it makes it easier on the hair. However, you can do it either way. How much you dilute it is up to you, but keep in mind that the more you dilute it.. the less time it will take to dye release. Full strength lemon juice can take upwards of 12 hours, sometimes even 24 depending on the room temp and the henna you use (some dye release faster/slower than others).

Read the bottle and see what it says, I'm guessing it might be sugar or something. It should be fine, I think a lot of people use that brand any way.

The different colors of your hair will end in different color results due to condition (virgin vs chemical) and color. For best results, I would recommend getting your length to match your roots as best as you can and then go from there. And if you can share some pics of your actual color(s), we could give you better, more accurate advice. What you have in mind as "dishwater brown" is likely to be different than what *I* think of the color or what one of the others think.

Jen
A dilution of about half lemon and half water should be enough acidity to get the job done, but still be gentler on your hair. The standing time should be 8-12.

The added ingredients are sodium bisulfite, sodium benzoate, and lemon oil. The first two are preservatives, but totally harmless. Way better than mold growing in your lemon juice. The last is a totally natural way to bring back the oomph in color and taste that may be lost when concentrating and reconstituting the juice. No big. No harm to you or your mix.
kileedo
Here are a couple pictures of the current state of my hair. http://imgur.com/a/TfaH6
ACWN

You should get the color you're after on your virgin roots, I think. If you restore your length to your natural color, the result you'll get on that will be brighter (with more orange tones) due to the nature of henna over chemically damaged/lightened hair, but it should still match up fairly well.

kileedo
What if I don't want to dye over the ends? I know it would be darker on the ends than on the roots, but would there be a huge huge difference? I'm trying to avoid chemicals as much as I can at this point. =/
ACWN
Yeah, theres going to be a pretty big difference.
kileedo
Hm. Darn. I guess I will have to dye it again. I was really hoping to avoid that. :c Will the difference after I dye it be really noticeable? I know that henna tends to come out differently over dyed hair vs. virgin hair, even if it's all the same color. EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot that you had already answered that question. I'm tired, haha. Sorry.
ACWN
Like I said in a previous post, it will probably come out a bit more orange toned, but it should blend alright.
kileedo
Yeah, I had forgotten that you had already answered that question. I'm tired. It's been a bizarre weekend/beginning of the week, and for some reason I slept for fourteen (!!!) hours last night, and I feel like I could still sleep more. My brain is not working, haha. But, thank you for answering it again. And being kind to my numbskull-ness today. XD Thank you for all of your help. I will follow your advice, and redye my hair to match my roots before I henna over it.
ACWN
Lol, wow. No worries. I've been there before!
Pianoforte
Hi! if you already have the copper colour and the on that you are searching for is positively "Red" i think lemon juice alone won't do the trick. Try some red tea and lemon juice (mix the two) and make the paste on it. I could agree that at first it looks odd, but i know it works. You will not, how ever, get an even colour, because henna does not go inside the hair and your original pigment is going to stay put. Hope i was helpful.
ACWN

Things like tea and spices do not dye hair, they stain... any color they offer typically do not last beyond the first wash.

Chemical dyes sit on the surface of the hair, henna on the other hand, penetrates into the shaft itself. It binds to the keratin of the hair, which is why it is so permanent.

Yes, one can get an even color over two toned hair, it just takes a bit more work and patience. One can either even out their starting color, or.. if a darker color (like burgundy) is wanted, multiple applications will eventually even out the color.

kileedo
So, I asked one of the employees at a Sally's about lightening my hair as close to my original color as possible, and she recommended I just bleach it. She said something about dye only depositing more color, so it would make my hair darker no matter what I did with it. (I don't use box dye. I also don't know if that would make any difference at all.) Anyway, we discussed my options. She showed me a color corrector, and warned that it could turn my hair a pretty orangey color. She also showed me a couple different types of bleach. The one eliminates gold tones, and the other eliminates the orange tone that tends to be a problem with bleaching dyed/darker hair. I wend ahead and bought the second one, thinking I'll just get my hair to a blonde color, but now I'm having some doubts. With the way that bleach damages the hair, could this affect how the henna turns out? Or even how long the color will hold? I was thinking maybe I could just leave it on for a shorter amount of time, to just lighten what I have, and maybe not apply it to my roots at all or leave it on for only a couple of minutes. Also, will I still be able to achieve a darker red with multiple applications if I bleach my hair?
Carrie
Bleaching does damage hair, just like regular chemical hair dyes do, because they remove color as well as depositing it.  Bleach damaged hair can have a harder time picking up henna/indigo and holding onto it, sometimes. Actually indigo can attach really well when the damage isn't too extreme, but when damage is significant then neither henna nor indigo attach as well., and you can find yourself with hair that won't darken beyond orange with henna. The less bleaching you do, the better chance you have of having the dyes attach well so you can get a deep color, without fading.

you are wise to keep it off your roots if you can - they will bleach quite light.
kileedo
Man, I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place here, haha. I wish I had never even decided to touch a chemical dye. Mayhaps I will just bite the bullet, and return the bleach. Just henna over what I have going on now and deal with the slight/no color change on the dyed parts, and let it all even out naturally as my hair grows and I do repeat henna applications. I know my roots will take the henna and be a different color, and it'll look a bit uneven, buuuut I think I can deal. I want to start being nice to my hair, and see it actually grow healthy and shiny. :)
Carrie
That's what a lot of people do. It's the least damaging and often turns out really pretty.