Length of leaving Indigo on

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Length of leaving Indigo on

I have been doing 2 hours henna and now am up to 45 minutes of Indigo, on roots only, with about 15 minutes of application time.  So the some areas have indigo on for almost an hour.

Did this based on having to do Indigo applications 2x (different days) after seeing the orangish after washing a few days later.

Just read on here that longer application time of Henna might help.  If I do that, should I leave the indigo on less time?  My hair is very dark brown, close to black, but more so on the sides than the back.  I don't want my roots to be black black, but close.  If I leave the Henna on for 2.5 hours, how long for indigo?  If I leave on for 3 hours, how long for indigo?   Also read someone say I should be washing after henna application and I was not.  Would this help the indigo to stick?  Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Length of leaving Indigo on

No, you want to leave the indigo on for the same amount of time.

Yeah, washing of the henna residue with shampoo will probably help.

You may also benefit from a two step hennago.... henna for 3 - 4 hours, and then a hennigo mix with mostly indigo (75% or so) for an hour or two. The henna portion will basically help keep the indigo from going really black and it should bind better to your hair. Strand test though, just in case.

Tracey

So leave the henna on longer, but leave the indigo on the same amount of time?  so go 3 hours henna and then 45 minutes indigo?   This won't make it darker it will just make it stay on and not fade?

Even if I do henna first, it would still be better to do henndigo second for binding?

Thanks!

ACWN

It shouldn't make it any darker than usual, but if it does you can wash with a little baking soda and/or clarifying shampoo right off  to remove some of the indigo and lighten it up.

The reason for a two step hennigo in your case is because you have white and problems with the indigo binding. Doing straight henna first for several hours will lay down a solid bed of henna, something for the indigo to bind to and its often needed when a indigo heavy mix is involved. Following up with the hennigo will give you a dark brown to near black because the henna in the mix will dilute the indigo just a bit.

Tracey

I am not totally following. If I am currently doing henna and then indigo and it isn't staying on, why would i do henna and then henndigo?

Are you saying because if I leave the henna on longer, the indigo might up take better and then it might get too dark?

ACWN

Okay, I'm talking about two different methods here.

1. A regular two step - what you're doing now. The longer you leave henna on, the darker it will become and it *could* make the results after the indigo a little darker than usual (though it should bind much better). If this it is too dark, you can remove a little indigo via washing your hair once or twice before 24 hours.

2. A hennigo two step - which is what I'm suggesting you might benefit from though I'm not saying you HAVE to do it. The reason WHY you might benefit is because you can leave the plant dyes on *longer* with out getting black - black. Carrie and the others have been getting reports that leaving both dyes on longer make for a more permanent bond and less fading. With the hennigo step, you could potentially leave it on an hour or two, which should help it bind better.

Tracey

Thanks for the clarification.

To be clear, if I do the Henna longer and do the indigo for 45 minutes (in the past when starting this process, i did 10 minutes, then 20 the next time, then 30 the next time, etc), you don't think the 45 minutes would be too much if the Henna is on for 3 hours instead of 2?

Please tell me again why it sometimes is green and why sometimes when I used to do henndigo apps and then just indigo it would be purple a few days later.

Lastly, have you known of people that washed hair after henna/before indigo and this really helped with the binding of the indigo?

Thanks!

ACWN

I cant tell you, I don't know. Like I keep saying, it COULD be... and if it is, if you wash it.. washing it will remove some of it and lighten it up a little.

It shows up green because that's sometimes the color you just get before the indigo oxidizes. If after a couple days, its still that way.. there wasn't enough henna and you should redo the henna. Purple, I don't know. Maybe the same reason? Purple isn't a common result and I'm not familiar enough with indigo to tell you.

Most every one washes their hair in between and we recommend this. I think you're one of the few that doesn't. Its always been my belief that when you wash in between, the indigo dye will bond to the henna dye that's bound to the keratin in your hair (resulting in a more permanent color with the indigo)... vs. it possibly binding to the non-bound dye in the residue that eventually is rinsed away. The residue itself could also possibly cause a binding issue. However, that's just me and may not be true.

Tracey

I apprecaite all of your responses!  Really hoping the washing in between will work.  I wasn' t aware I was supposed to, don't remember that being told to me.  It will make it easier to apply the indigo too, hair wont' be so knotted up.  I am going to start with that and not increase time so I know what worked.

since it is a little orangy today, I am going to do the indigo over again tonight.  Any suggestions on how long to leave it on?  I know everyone is different.  If it was you, and it wasn't totally orange, but slightly and last weekend you left the indigo on for 45 minutes.  How long would you leave it on this time?

Thanks!!!

ACWN

Shampoo only, no conditioner. It'll inhibit the indigo.

No, I don't know how long you should leave it on. If it was me, I would just redo the whole thing, most likely.

Tracey

Do you think using conditioner AFTER the indigo is on and then rinsed out could be inhibting the uptake? 

Thanks again!

ACWN
No, because its already been absorbed.
Carrie
Someone reported recently that applying the indigo to DRY hair helped a lot in preventing fading.

I wasn't aware that almost everyone is washing their henna out with shampoo when they do a 2-step. My husband never did and he had no fading at all after the first time or two. It would be interesting to know if shampooing in between actually makes a difference in terms of fading.
ACWN
Okay, that's my bad... I assumed, I guess, given we tell everyone to wash in between - or at least I do. Sorry!
Carrie
I've been telling people to wash prior to henna, rinse with water (or wash if they want, but it's not necessary to have every last bit of henna gone), apply indigo and then remove that with conditioner.

My husband used to simply stick his head under the tub faucet to get most of the henna out. He always had henna residue in his hair when we applied indigo, had lots of gray to cover, and never had fading with this method after the first couple times - did it dozens of times this way.

But I'd try applying the indigo (or the 2nd step hendigo, if you do it that way) to dry hair and see if that makes a difference.
Tracey

Interesting.  So wash after henna and apply to dry hair.  It is okay to use the hair dryer to dry it and then apply the indigo?

Your husband is lucky on not having the fading.  I have it every time, alot.  Then I do the indigo AGAIN and it is pretty good.  Hopefully doing this with the washing and it being dry, I won't have to do indigo again 2 days later.

Thanks!

Carrie
yes, using the dryer is okay.  good luck!
Tracey

Want to make sure I understand the comment above. You are saying that if after the henna, I do indigo/henna mix (75% indigo) that should help the indigo bind to the hair?  This past time I did the henna for two hours, then the indigo for almost an hour.  Forgot to dry first and try that out.  It didn't stay after washing two days later, was some orangy areas on the gray.  Then did just indigo a few days later, usually this works and stays much much better.  It didn't.  Just hoping for any new advice.  Am doing the wash before henna with shampoo, wash after henna, then baking soda, then rinse, then indigo (this time will dry first).  I really am trying to avoid having to leave this on for 10 hours (I know that is an exageration).  Thanks!

Thanks!

Carrie
The only thing I can add to what you have tried is to do your indigo the next day, on dry hair. That is what worked for one person who was having trouble.

I would say that a 2-step henna-followed-by-indigo ought to work BETTER than a 2-step henna-followed-by-hendigo, in terms of good uptake and less fading.  That's because of how henna and indigo have different ideal environments so when you mix them, neither one gets its most ideal conditions to work in.

But the 2-step henna-followed-by-hendigo would work better than a 1-step hendigo for someone with uptake or fading problems, because indigo (even in a hendigo mixture) likes to have a good bed of henna in the hair to bind with.

All of these methods work, and for most people all of the methods would work fine for them. Some folks have more trouble with fading than others, and in those cases we try to figure out how to maximize uptake/permanence.
Tracey
Thanks for the answers.  I will try doing indigo, after henna, on dry hair tomorrow.  The problem with the next day step is I do this on Saturday's usually and am not planning to stay home.  I am not going out with just the henna on my roots, they are blaring orange. Maybe I will try and do the henna earlier and wait a few hours before the indigo.  Thanks again!