Deep orange/copper for grey roots

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shelly4color
Deep orange/copper for grey roots
Hi there again! Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with my henna journey so far :) Question: My goal now is to do another root application - roots have a lot of gray in places, plus brown hair . Last time I tried diluting my Twilight Raj with conditioner to achieve a deep coppery/deep orange look (a warmer red, NOT burgundy). But I wonder if there's another way besides playing around, trying to find the right amount of conditioner. Q#1: Since I'll need to use amla in my mix anyway (for curl retention), and amla "warms" red tones, what about a 50/50 henna amla mix, using Twilight Raj? Anyone tried that? Q#2: Is there another type of henna (probably based on a certain % of lawsone) that will cover my grays and offer that deep orange color? Thanks!
ACWN
Re: Deep orange/copper for grey roots

1 - I've never heard any one say amla "warms" henna's tones.... When used with henna alone, it reduces the orange very slightly (if at all) and COOLS the henna's orange tones in a hennigo. A 50/50 mix would be way too acidic, I think and there is no real point. Amla doesn't have a dye, IF it does anything to the color.. its very subtle and temporary.

2 - If you're wanting an obvious orange color, I would do either Henna for African hair for a shorter period of time (maybe 3 hours), or Jasmine for a longer period of time (5 - 6). Either that, or dilute what you have further if it was too dark, or increase the amount of henna by a teaspoon or the time its on by a half hour to an hour if it was too light.

Shelly4color
I noticed both of those hennas have a lawsone % of 1.4. I like the idea of using Jasmine because it's said to turn grays a coppery gold, which is fine IMO if it's a strong stain that sticks. Your idea of leaving Jasmine on longer - is that to get better gray coverage, or possibly deepen color? Seems like I'd have to leave it on longer anyway, since product guidelines say it doesn't cover gray as well as other hennas. Because I'm going to be using amla for curl retention, I will continue with a 4:1 henna/amla ratio. Is it accurate to say the amla would further darken the coppery color? If so, how much, any idea to what degree? Thanks.
ACWN

Leaving the Jasmine on longer is both for better gray coverage and to deepen the color as its dye is fairly weak - at least compared to the rest of the henna mehandi.com sells.

I don't think amla would darken the color any further than a strong acidic liquid mix like lemon juice. Because its a higher acidic mix, the henna doesn't start out as vivid of a neon orange that a lesser acidic mix seems to. Some people have reported a slight ashy tone when using amla, but its generally very subtle and temporary.

Shelly4color
OK, then I'm leaning toward Jasmine/amla (4:1) to be left on for 5 hours. I would like to post a couple links to pics I found online that give a specific idea of the color I'm after, but for some reason those links are disappearing from the body of my post when I go to preview before publishing it. I get a message that says, "openWYSIWYG does not support your browser." I'm not super computer savvy. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? ... I'm also lacking the ability to format my posts into paragraphs LOL TA
Jen
Shelly, can you post this with the browser your using over in the "Site Tech Support" topic. Hopefully Roy, who knows all that tech stuff, can help you out.
Shelly4color
Oh, thanks so much Jen! I will go and try that now :)
Shelly4color
ACWN, so do you guess I could use Jasmine /amla  (4:1) and then leave it on for 5 hours or grays? Here are some pics for a better idea of what I'm going for:

Limited to as dark as this lady's hair.

But ideally this lady's hair color seems to fit my warm/golden complexion and bright green eyes.

I don't care at all how the brown parts turn out btw. They're almost too dark to matter. Hopefully these pics gave a better idea of what I'm looking for :)  TA
Jen
"I noticed both of those hennas have a lawsone % of 1.4" Previous crops of Jasmine did have a lower dye content. At 1.4% you might risk going past the brighter color you want and into a light shade of auburn. I would use 4:1 amla henna for 3-4 hours. Strand test though, of course!
Shelly4color
Thanks a lot Jen! Hopefully 3-4 hours processing time will yield reasonable gray coverage too. I can try and gauge that when strand testing. ... Just out of curiosity, roughly how much lower was the lawsone content in that old Jasmine crop, from what you recall?
Carrie
I believe there was a Jasmine batch that had 0.7% lawsone content.
Shelly4color
Hi Carrie! My goodness ... Do you know if that would have actually been strong enough to cover gray?  Or wouldn't someone have had to keep such a low-lawsone dye on overnight to even get adequate gray coverage?

Well obviously I still have a lot to learn about henna :)
Carrie
I never tested it on gray myself, but it seems likely that it could dye white hair orange, but wouldn't achieve much deeper color than that in a single application. Like any henna, it would be able to build color  with repeated use.
Shelly4color
Thanks for the info Carrie. I really appreciate all the help you and others here have given me since my henna journey began. Have a great day!