coconut oil

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
irinadax
coconut oil
after damaging my hair with hair dye for the past two years, i have returned to using henna and already see a big improvement in the condition of my hair. I read that coconut oil is good for the hair so I went out and bought some. I have used it a couple of times but I can't for the life of me succeed in washing it all out. I use a non-sulfate all natural shampoo, and even with TWO washes, I can't get the oil out of my ends (strangely enough it comes out of my roots just fine). I want to henna again but won't until I can get the oil out. I have fine thin straight hair and i'm afraid of using conditioner to take the oil out for fear it will make it even more greasy. any suggestions? I really want to henna again soon but know the oil in my hair will inhibit dye uptake. If I have to use conditioner to remove the oil, can you recommend a cone-free one? thanks so much
Viljaana
Re: coconut oil
The coconut oil is difficult to wash out. Two washes isn't a lot with it - try five.

For me it helps, if I let the oil to absorb over night or for a full day (oil your ends and wear a bun for a day, no-one will know your ends are oily).

It is propably better to oil your hair only after henna: as it is difficult to wash out, it can work as a barrier for the henna dye. If you really can't get the oil out for days, you could do a clay wash: bye cosmetic clay powder, mix it with water and apply to your hair. The clay will absorb the oil deep cleanse your hair for dyeing. For my fine Nordic hair, clay wash is a bit harsh and dryeing, so I wouldn't do it too often.

p.s. I do not henna my hair, but I oil it regularly :).
Jen
You might consider olive oil instead. That's what I use. I know that curly haired women tend to use coconut, but I have thin, fine, straight hair and olive works better for me. Easier to wash out, and I feel like it does a better job for me.
Carrie
I'm telling you, conditioner is the way to get oil out of your hair, it really helps dissolve the oil better than shampoo does. You can condition and then shampoo afterwards if you think the conditioner will leave you greasy.

For this purpose I would use one of the cheap conditioners like Suave, VO5, White Rain.

for cone-free, I found this list - can't vouch for its accuracy:  http://healthycurls.net/product-lists/silicone-free-conditioners/
irinadax
Thank you, Ladies, I will try removing with conditioner. I will also try olive oil next time and see if it works better with my fine hair.
Jora
Hi there, I use coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil, etc. on my hair once every few months...last of which was yesterday as I had plans on Hennaing my hair today. I have thin, long hair, and at first was very timid on using any type of oil on my hair for fear of not being able to wash it out completely. The first few times were a struggle, until I figured out how to exactly oil my hair. Regardless of the oil you want to use (I use either individually or sometimes mix them up), and heat it slightly in the microwave. Use it on scalp only (learned this the hard way)! :( Make sure to use VERY LITTLE oil. You don't need massive amounts for the conditioning benefits...a little goes a long way. Make sure to really massage the oil onto your scalp (reason for this is that removing it at a later time is going to be an easier process). I usually wear my hair in a tight bun for a day (and as well sleep in it). The next morning I wash it off using Infusium 23 (body building) shampoo. I shampoo twice, leaving the shampoo in for a few minutes after I massage it in, and then rinse it off with cooler water. Hope that you were/are successful in your process.
AlexandraTheGreat
Regarding oil... Why scalp only?

Hi Jora, 

I have been been gifted a lot of coconut and jojoba oil and want to use them in my hair, but in the past have found it hard to get so, so the benefits of oiling up then having to wash like crazy don't add up to me - and so here I am researching.

Specifically in your post you say scalp only, but my hair is greasy at scalp and dry at ends, so even with normal conditioner I avoid using them anywhere but down the length of my hair. Why do you say scalp only? What did you discover? 

Jora
Coconut Oil

Hi there, I tried oiling my hair many times, and each time the fact that I could not get it out of my hair for DAYS on end frustrated me so bad that I'd give up for months and then be brave enough to attempt again.

Recently I've been (time permitting) trying to oil my hair once a week and thus far have had no issues washing it out.  I DON'T USE ANY SHAMPOOS (sulfate or otherwise) to do so, as where before I did!

I alternate every time I oil my hair with the following:  1.  Egg Yolk - (oil gets oil out) - Beat one or two egg yolks (depending on hair lenght and volume) with some warm (not hot) water.  Mix thoroughly.  Inside the shower, and WITHOUT having dampened hair - apply the egg yolk mixture to the scalp/roots, and massage well (I don't apply a lot of oil to the lenght of my hair so I don't have to push the egg yolk to the ends, and rather just let the mixture find itself there).  If you do need to wash the oil out of the lenght, just simply apply the egg mixture to the rest of your hair (again it's imperative that your hair to be COMPLETELY dry - no water - when this is done)!  Wait a few minutes and then wash it off with cold to warm (never hot as the egg will cook in your hair and difficult to get out)!

2.  I use a mixture of Brahmi, Amla, and Shikakai (or you can just use Shikakai powder).  Mix the powder with water, until mud texture forms) and apply (to damp or dry hair) and massage well.  I then (depending on my mood and time) may follow it with a vinegar rise (this doesn't always happen).  

You can generally purchase Shikakai powder, amla, etc. for $1.75 for every 100 grams, and just mix.

Let me know if you need any more info. or if this works for you!

Jora
Coconut Oil

Sorry I didn't answer one of your questions ealier.  I generally don't apply oil to my ends because I find it makes it limp (I have long hair that is dry at the ends and oily at the roots). 

What I would suggest (I do this for myself and it's up to you if this is what will work for you as well) is that I oil my scalp (even though I do have oily hair) and then once I'm done massaging my scalp I take whatever is on my hands and just push it down the hair lenght and then massage it at the very ends only!

Putting too much oil on the lenght of the hair generally means spending a lot of time trying to either wash it out or days on end of limp hair (I don't like either)....go LESS is more!  

I'm also going the no-shampoo route for a while (trying it out) and thus far it's about 3 1/2 weeks of NO shampoo.  I'm pretty vein when it comes to hair being clean so it's saying a lot for me.  And as mentioned above, I alternate between egg yolk wash or shikakai wash to make this happen.

Jora
**LENGTH***

Sorry for the typos folks!