best henna cones online

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
heritage henna
best henna cones online

So I have just started doing henna professionally and I really need to know which brand of henna cone is best. I can't make henna paste myself, I never did, and for the time being it's really convenient for me to use pre-made henna. The henna cones that I bought from local Indian stores are old, clumped up and awful. Does anybody know where I can buy good quality henna cones online?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: best henna cones online

Since its not legal for anyone in the USA to mix up and sell henna for use on skin .... probably best to avoid that question entirely.

I really don't want to get into "###'s henna cones are great" because ### could find the FDA knocking at their door tomorrow. Its happened.  Not to me, but to other people.  On the other hand, when someone's posted on the forum that  "###'s henna cones suck" ....  ### threatened to sue me.

bottom line ....... you absolutely MUST learn to mix henna yourself!

Nicole

If it's not legal, then how are you and others allowed to do it?

And yes, it is simple to mix your own paste.  You can get good stuff with minimal effort and it freezes well.  My only issue is rolling and filling the cones!

ex_machina
admin

The US Food and Drug Administration is the agency that sets the standards and regulations for cosmetics in the US, which includes henna. The FDA has approved henna only for use as hair dye and not for topical use, that is, use directly on human skin.

However, people in the US selling henna for bodyart or doing henna bodyart aren't at much risk of having federal agents crashing through their doors or being dragged off on handcuffs on a TruTV reality show because the FDA has more important things to worry about and they're probably not willing to deal with the legal challenges they would face from the large and growing populations of US citizens and residents who have their roots in cultures that use henna and who would protest...loudly...if the FDA regulation were ever enforced.

You're probably all aware by now that Catherine has been sending samples of henna to a laboratory for formal chemical testing. One of the main reasons for the tests is that she is consulting with a research team at a major US medical school that is now running a series of clinical trials for possible therapeutic uses for henna and she's supplying the school with laboratory-tested batches of henna for use in the trials. We can't give the name of the school until they're ready to publish their results but the fact that they're doing the trials is exciting because if their results are good enough, this could be a major step toward henna's eventual  approval for topical use in the US.

We're writing an FAQ explaining the laboratory testing and how to obtain a copy of the Mehandi.com laboratory test results. The FAQ will be posted with the other FAQs on the main page of the Forums in a few days.

CCartwrightJones
admin

'If it's not legal, then how are you and others allowed to do it?'

Doing something not legal and being prosecuted for doing something not legal are two very different things. Enforcement on this law isn't a high priority. 

I've heard of a few FDA seizures of henna paste, but only a few. 

heritage henna

whoa....okay. I was planning to learn how to do it, but I'm kinda nervous and feel like I might screw up something and it won't turn out right. Besides, its pretty time consuming, and sometimes I just need henna cones right away when I have last minute appointments. However, I came to realize every single henna professionals here makes their own henna, so I guess I should do that as well.

From the reviews, I assume Jamilah is the best henna powder out there. Any ideas on where I can get the best quality Jamilah powder? Also  Where do I buy the essential oils?

desertholly

There certainly is a learning curve to learning to mix your own, but it's not hard.

For last minute appointments, the beauty is that once you've mixed your own you can store ready-made cones in your freezer, labeled by the date you made them and what exactly is in each mix.  Then you can take one out and thaw it whenever you need fresh henna.   They thaw quickly at body temperature. 

Until you have made enough to feel confident, you can check the websites of artists who post on this forum or other all-natural henna forums and call around or email around to see if anyone lives close to you that you could buy or barter for some cones.  Checking out other people's really good handmade henna is a great way to get a good feel for how yours should turn out. 

Depending on where you live you might even find someone who would be willing to help coach you in the learning process. 

Best of luck and have fun. 

CCartwrightJones
admin

Jamila isn't always the best (in fact, its highly variable even within a single season), but the milling is extremely consistent.  Its always at least ok, and sometimes its fabulous.

Either ask your supplier what the lawsone content is: anything below 2% is going to be disappointing, 2 - 2.2% is "meh", 2.3% and above is very good, and over 3% is WOW. If they haven't sent their henna certified by an independent lab, AT LEAST ask to see a pic of the results of that batch.  If the supplier can't show you exactly what that batch henna is producing on skin, don't buy from them. 

Hennacat
admin

Heritage, you won't screw up you'll have 'experiments' which if they do go awry can be used for practice, pumpkins, candles, wood, drums, your hair etc. :-) 

heritage henna

Thank you so much everyone!! I've learnt a lot so far!

Sarah

"Heritage, you won't screw up you'll have 'experiments' which if they do go awry can be used for practice, pumpkins, candles, wood, drums, your hair etc. :-) "

Lol... this. I have a carrot bag with probably four or five cones' worth of paste. Old paste, stuff that just didn't work for whatever reason, paste I forgot in the fridge for a month. I use that stuff for practice on inanimate objects :)

Nene
The original question was where to get henna cones. My best answer, specially because you have the inclination to even be on-line looking,and asking, is your kitchen. If you make it, you know what is in it. You experiment with it till it gives you the henna you like to work with.