Indigo 2 days later?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Indigo 2 days later?

I did henna for 2 hours, orange roots(all i did was roots).  Indigo with less than 10% henna (make more indigo last minute, didn't make enough and was hurrying because didn't want roots to be black).  Roots are a nice med brown, but my hair is very very dark brown almost black.  Can I do my roots again in two days with just indigo or is it too late and would have to use henna again?  If I can do just indigo again, should I was my hair first? 

I left the indigo in for a total of 25 minutes from start of application to rinse.  10 minutes after all applied.  Used hair dryer a little too.  Next time I will just not rush so much because it didn't turn black.  Would you suggest I leave on for 5 more minutes than today or 10?  Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Indigo 2 days later?
It won't be too late, you can still do an indigo gloss at any time. It will work BEST if you do it right away but  it will still work pretty well in any case.  Yes, I would wash your hair again if it had time enough to build up some oil. 

I would increase the time very minimally - and extra 10 minutes might make too big of a difference.
Tracey

I will see tomorrow how much of the indigo washes out. It is a brownish copper right now which makes me think that washing it tomorrow it is going to look orange.

You said gloss, does it have to be a gloss if I am doing it two days later or can it be a paste?  Paste works better, right?

What does the salt added to indigo do?

Thanks!

Tracey

Also, since I did the indigo for 10 minutes (after 15 minutes of applying it) yesterday and I am going to do it again tomorrow and some already took, would I only leave on for 5?

Or add 5 minutes to the 10 I did yesterday?

I am thinking only leave on for 5, right?

Does using the hair dryer a little help? 

Carrie
YOu can use gloss or paste at any time. Paste, not being diluted, gives you more color in a shorter time.

Salt is supposed to help indigo uptake or something, somehow, but frankly I never noticed a difference between salt and no salt.

With indigo I would always err on the side of getting too little uptake, rather than too much. So I would go with a shorter time if you are applying to hair that already has indigo in it.

Using the hairdryer will accelerate uptake - you will get more color deposit (darker color, potentially) by using the dryer.

Tracey

Last month I did henna for 2 hours, then indigo for 22 minutes (after application time) and it was not dark enough.  2 days later did indigo for 10 more minutes.  was please.  not as dark as rest of hair (gray never seems to be), but good.

This month, did Henna for 2 hours then indigo for just over 30 minutes after application (was thinking 22 plus 10 for last month would be 32 this month). Washed my hair today(did the application on Saturday).  Roots are orangish. Not horrible, but more than I would like.  Could it be because last month was 2 applications and even though it totaled 32 minutes, there was the application time or 2 times, so the starting area actually go 50 or so minutes?

Question- would doing the henna for less than 2 hours help make it less orange or is that length of time necessary? Thanks!

Jen
It could be that the two applications helped. Indigo is finicky stuff!

No, I would not recommend lessening your henna application! First indigo needs a solid saturation of henna to work well. The indigo is sticking to the henna, not the hair you see. Instead you may try to apply the henna for LONGER! Longer applications of henna give a deeper color -more auburn than orange. This way your starting color will be richer and less orange if the indigo doesn't take as well on your root or if it begins to fade.
Tracey

UGH

Thanks for the answer.  I did 2 hours 45 minutes of henna once and it was stil orange before the indigo app and didn't make a difference in the turnout of how the indigo looked after.

I am just going to try leaving the indigo on a little longer the next time.  Today I will just do indigo for 5 ish minutes, since the application time takes about 10 and the area I start with is the most gray and righ tnow the most orangy.  Thinking that the last time that area had for 22 minutes (plus 10 minutes of applying to the rest of head) and then 10 minutes a couple days later (and 10 minutes of applying to rest of head) so a total of 52 minutes for that certain area.

This past appliction would have been 30 minutes on and 10 minutes in that area while applying to the rest of head so that is about 10 minutes less indigo. 

Thanks for your help, wish there was a quicker process for this.

purplelady31
My situation is similar. I mixed henna with indigo and left on for 2 hours. When I rinsed it out, it was a reddish color. My present hair color is gray/black. Of course, I was trying to get rid of the gray. I attempted this on Monday, September 9th. My question is, can I retry this process now, just using the indigo? Should I wait a certain before retrying this process?
Carrie
Yes, you can dye your hair again now, without further waiting (you've already waited 3 days).  If you want black you will only need to leave the indigo on for one hour.

If you want brown (and I assume you do, since you were using henna/indigo mixed) then using just indigo you'll only want an application time of about 15-20 minutes so it will be brown and not black. You'll have to get it in your hair fast, otherwise some of the hair will have a much longer application time than the rest - using pure indigo as a 2nd step will turn your hair black in an hour, sometimes in as little as 30 minutes.

It's possible you'd be able to get a better brown result by repeating the henna/indigo mix but applying it for 4-5 hours instead of just 2 hours. Sometimes dye resistant gray needs a longer application time like that.