Has anyone tried Misha Indigo powder?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tibard
Has anyone tried Misha Indigo powder?
Hello All: I am hendigoing my hair tonight and only have half of my usual african sunrise Indigo amount (100 gms) - I dye my hair dark brown. So i head to my local Asian store to pick up a quick box of Indigo. I've never heard of this brand (Misha from India) and there is not a lot of web info on it. The box says it is 100% Indigofera Tinctoria-premium quality - no chemicals added. I just need to mix this with the rest of the ancient sunrise to hendigo my hair tonight( yes, it needs to be done tonight). Has anyone heard of the misha brand and do I need to worry before I put this on my head with the rest of my ancient sunrise products?
Carrie
Re: Has anyone tried Misha Indigo powder?
I am not familiar with it.  Try putting a little bit in a bowl and testing it for dye release, as described here. You should see a blue-green color crawl up the paper towel. Indigo dye is not black - if you see a black color in this test, it has chemical dye in it; in fact it could have a large amount of PPD which can cause severe reactions.

http://hennablogspot.com/getting-dye-release-from-indigo/

another picture showing indigo paste, and the dye stain on the paper towel:  http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/

If you just see the blue/green, you're probably fine to use it.
Tibard
Thanks Carrie! Will do this afternoon
Tibard
Hello All: I Hendigo'd with the Napur 9 this weekend and the color came out beautifully, a little darker than I expected but I like it none the less. I would like to continue with Henna on a monthly basis because I like the conditioning benefits. My question is since I am pleased with the color (1/3 henna 2/3's indigo), can I use plain Henna without the indigo monthly to continue the conditioning benefits (only 30 minutes). I'm thinking if its only henna, my hair may have a reddish case in the sunlight but will not get any darker, correct? And to make things more confusing, I will also be hendigoing the roots every 6 weeks or so to maintain the dark brown color that I really like. Is all of this attainable or did the henna dye sit on my head too long this weekend? :)
Jen
Right, if your hair is dark brown now, it shouldn't go any darker with monthly henna treatments for conditioning. This is a fine plan!.
Tibard
Thanks jen, I guess i should have left things alone. I did a henna treatment this weekend without indigo just for the conditioning benefits and thought i would not see any red due to the dark brown i got from the hendigo...wrong! I now have red instead of dark brown. How can i fix this? Should i do another hendigo treatment and will this turn my hair black? Also, How can i continue with conditioning henna treatments and keep the same dark brown as I originally had with the hendigo?
Carrie
You could do a hendigo again.  I don't think it will turn your hair black since you say it's red now.

For conditioning you can use henna for a briefer time like 30 minutes, or dilute the prepared henna paste in conditioner, for less of a red dye effect. It will still deposit dye, just not as much.
Tracey

How red did your hair get?  What time of red?  How long did you leave the Henna on?  Your hair was dark brown almost black from a henndigo application and it turned red from just henna?

Tibard

Thanks Carrie,

Can I  do a hendigo (henna+indigo) treatment for a shorter period of time (30 minutes) to get the henna benefits so it wouldn't turn my hair red? Or would I then need to worry about it turning black ?

Carrie
A shorter 30 minute henna/indigo (a 1:1 mixture, full strength, not gloss) on unhennaed hair could result in blonde-ish or orangey, too-light color. On previously hennaed or hendigoed hair, it could make the hair quite dark, possibly black.

Indigo deposits dye rather quickly compared to henna, which needs a bit longer to transfer all its dye into the hair. When you use henna and indigo together for a longer application, both dyes have time to do their thing, but in a very short application on virgin hair, we often hear about people getting hardly any color, or just one of the colors will dominate (more often it's as if only a weak henna uptake occurred). On hair that already has henna in it, and thus is able to hold onto indigo better, that shorter hendigo application acts almost like the henna isn't even in there, and you get mostly indigo uptake.

Tibard
Hi Tracie, The red I can see in the light and in the daytime. It looks like a red wash over the brown, with the greys especially standing out. I left it in overnight for the conditioning. Even though i had the dark brown color(original hendigo)that I wanted, the red wash totally messed it up for me . I'm trying to figure out how to maintain the dk brown color while continuing henna's great conditioning benefits. I guess the henna over the dk brown wasn't it.