Another one new to henna

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lyrebon
Another one new to henna
Hey guys. So I discovered the wonder of henna only this week when a friend recommended it to me. We both decided to get it done and I opted for applying it myself while she had a professional see to her hair. I bought mine from Lush, so it's not pure henna but has none of the nasty chemicals in it (the ingredients are listed at the bottom, for reference, if you wish).

I used a red henna and applied it in haste - I'm not sure if Lush henna requires time to dye release but I slapped it on maybe half an hour after adding boiled water and keeping it over a simmering heat. It was a nice brown and stained my skin yellowish orange so I presumed it was okay.

Anyway, the results were great! I now have coppery, almost bronze hair. It doesn't show up much though unless under direct sunlight, and I'm wanting to get it more auburn but VISIBLE under any light. Here's pictures of it so far: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/LyreBon/IMAG0713_zpsffc7c74b.jpg http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/LyreBon/IMAG0709_zps2c43e094.jpg

I like the colour - I am naturally dark brown so this is a big improvement to me. But as you can see from the first image it looks a little dull and this is how it mostly looks except under artificial light, when it's like the second image. I've been browsing this site for different mixes and I like the sound of a paprika/turmeric and chamomile tea/lemon juice mix but I don't want to be messing around with making separate mixtures for the roots and strands of my hair.

There's a herbal store nearby where I plan to get some pure henna powder (it's from Sri Lanka I believe) and I will dye release it for 12 hours before applying it.

I'm just wondering, is this the best way to go for my natural hair colour, and will a new mixture stain over the Lush one?

Thanks =)

Lush ingredients: Red Henna, Cocoa Butter, Fresh Organic Lemon Juice, Powdered Rosemary, Clove Bud Oil, *Citral, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume

Carrie
Re: Another one new to henna
It's fine to use pure henna over the one you used before. It will give you more color, and more lasting color, if you prepare it with a cool acidic liquid and let it stand for dye release before you apply.

Can you link  a pic of your desired color?  then we can suggest mixes that will help you get there. I suggest you skip the paprika and turmeric, better to get your color from the henna itself, it's more lasting.
Lyrebon
Of course. I'm aiming for a deep red as I saw in another's mix here: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/maggies/

I know I probably can't get that exact shade but I'm hoping to get mine redder and more visible than it is. At the moment it has been noticed by a few people but they've had to strain their eyes to see it at first. It's only noticeable because it's lighter than my natural hair and I do like the coppery auburn it's turned out - but I'm still aiming for deep red.

I assume acidic liquid would be lemon juice and some herbal tea?

Thanks for your reply.

Carrie
I'd suggest apple juice instead of lemon juice; it's a little gentler on hair and scalp. That would take about 4-8 hours for dye release, less if the room is rather warm. (if you use ALL lemon juice, then 12 hours of standing time is fine - for less acidic liquids it will very likely be too long)

Alternatively you could use chamomile or other herbal tea, brewed strong and allowed to cool before you add it to the henna powder. That would only take 1-4 hours for dye release.

When you think you may have dye release, test a dab on your palm for a couple minutes. If you see a strong orange stain, it's ready. Apply for about 5-6 hours, or overnight if that's more convenient.  The longer application time will help you get the deeper auburn color.

Another thing you can do is freeze your prepared, dye-released paste for a little extra bump in the dye. When you're ready to use it, thaw it on the counter or in a bowl of lukewarm water. Freezing it in ziplock bags, smashed flat, will make it pretty quick to thaw.
Lyrebon
My only confusion is why lemon juice seemingly takes longer for dye release than herbal tea; I would've thought it would be the quickest since it's roughly rated as pH 2, while chamomile is only slightly acidic.

I'm thinking of using chamomile tea to brighten the tones, mixed with apple juice for the acidity. Correct me if I'm wrong and I apologise for what might seem like a daft question. But thanks for helping me.

Carrie
Higher acidity (lower pH) makes dye release happen more slowly, which is desirable if you want the dye to form a permanent bond to your hair.

Even a plain water mix (a pH neutral mix) will allow dye release to happen, but it will happen faster and it will also demise faster. A boiling water mix is the fastest of all but the paste will be demising (becoming unable to form a permanent bond) before you even get it in your hair; thus the fading that occurs with boiling water mixes.

A cool chamomile tea mix will be fine for a cooler shade of red (not as burnt-orange as a lemon juice mix) and will be permanent as well. You can add juice to it, or not - personal preference.  Just be sure you don't let a tea mix stand as long as you would a lemon juice mix. Tea, being less acidic, is ready sooner.  See the timing for various liquids here:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4146
Lyrebon
OK, so I got some ingredients together and have so far brewed chamomile tea for 3 hours (3 bags steeped in 1 cup of water), and also added apple juice. Going to let that settle for a few hours and then slap it on.

How long should I leave it? I figure a good compromise for using both tea and apple juice would be 5-6 hours? Of course that probably means I'll have to sleep with it in my hair since I suck at judging time.

Also, my apple juice was sparkling, is the concentrated carbon dioxide a bad thing? It was the only pure apple juice I could find though (99.5%).

Carrie
Are you asking how long it should stand, or long to apply?  Let it stand 4-6 hours, until you get a stain on your palm after a couple of minutes.  Apply for 5-6 hours if you want maximum color uptake. What liquid you use will not determine your application time, just your standing time.

I don't know if the carbonation will matter except I suppose it may make it more acidic. If that's the case, it will take longer for dye release to occur/staining to begin.
Lyrebon
Thank you for all your advice. I expect the henna deepens over a few days but I ended up with this colour a few hours after rinsing it out: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/LyreBon/IMAG0756_zpsb961d9d4.jpg

I have to say I'm quite pleased with this result. Less orange-y than my last application.

Carrie
oooh, gorgeous!
Mishkyn

Dear Lyrebon ,

I have been reading your thread with interest and think your new color looks stunning. I am sure you must be getting lots of compliments on it by now.

Glad it came out so well,

Mishkyn

Lyrebon
Thanks guys ^^

The colour faded too much, probably because of the carbonated apple juice or it just wasn't acidic enough, or the more obvious culprit is the store bought henna I got is impure or just oxygenated too much.

I was going to try red wine vinegar but after smelling it I thought hell no is that going on my head. From what I've been reading the vinegar smell lingers for days to weeks and I'd be embarrassed to be around people who wrinkle their noses.

I am going to stick with the chamomile tea, but I'll try it with lemon juice and maybe a little coconut milk next time. I'll think about ordering some proper BAQ henna from Mehandi too.