first actual gig

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
leapfrog
first actual gig
So, I got a monthly gig at a hafla. Anything I should know??
Jen
Re: first actual gig
I love hafla's! My favorite!

Keep in mind that dancing with wet henna is a bad idea. This will impact your work in several ways. First, lots of people performing will shy away from henna for the night for that reason. Remind them that they can have theirs after their performance, or give them a card so they can make an appointment later. If you're working pay per piece rather than hourly, you might take some trinkets or hennaed objects to sell as well. So many people will love the IDEA of henna, but realize that its not the best time, with all the movement and swishy clothing. Try to offer something of your work that is beautiful without the risk of smudges or ruined clothes.

The lights will likely go down during performances. You may want a small, focused portable light like a camping lamp or a craft lamp so you can work without disruption during performances.

Belly dancers LOVE sparkly things. Take a little glitter to put on top of your hennas. It will tickle them.

Take business cards and aftercare sheets with your contact info. Suggest henna a couple days BEFORE a dancer's next performance so the stain is mature and looking its best.
Jen
Oh! And some more general gig tips... Take tape, towels, a foot stool and a pillow. Take very simple designs you're very comfortable with. If someone wants something more complicated than what takes a few minutes, schedule them for a private appointment later. If they want something beyond your skill level, help them find a more experienced artist.
leapfrog
Thank you so much!!
leapfrog
I guess the hafla space is rather small. Do you think just taking pillows would be fine?
Jen
To work on the floor rather than at a table? Absolutely!