Temporary Hair Color with Pastels!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
ACWN
Temporary Hair Color with Pastels!

Saw this on dA and thought I would share it with everyone here! [link]

I know I miss having green bangs every once and a while, and with my bangs being henna-ed, I cant bleach them out enough to turn them green... plus there was that whole color bleeding disaster last time. I'm gonna start harvesting hair from my brush and comb, and see how well this works over henna-ed hair, and if washing it out results in any funky colors before I attempt it, but this is so cool!!

Jen
Re: Temporary Hair Color with Pastels!

Yay! Let me know! My daughter wants some nice bright streaks and at 12 I'm not letting her near the bleach. 

ACWN

Well, the tut says it works fine on dark hair too and its safe. If her hair isn't henna-ed or anything, just go for it. It comes out soon as you shampoo.

ACWN

Sadly, it didn't work. My sample turned a funny green-brown color and then went a muddy color when I rinsed it out. :(

I only tested the darker green shade from the box I bought.

Melissa

These are super cool! I want to try them. My only issue is, other girls who have done tutorials on using pastels, they rub off on clothing, on your hands, on your face, etc. Even if you seal with hair spray. It also makes your hair chalky looking. I'm sure if they work on dyed hair, they'll work on hennaed hair without any issues or funky colors remaining. I imagine if you have a hard time getting it out, a clarifying shampoo would probably work. (not sure what it does to hennaed hair though....)

I don't mind the chalky look! I like it. I think it's different than the normal shine of hair. Just read your last reply! I'm sorry it didn't work. Maybe try a lighter color and more of it? I imagine any color that has red in it will be hard to cover up. Things like white/blonde hair and black hair will probably do the best, I think.

ACWN

I did use a light color and I even tried putting white down first to lighten my test before the green. And I applied it like crazy, several times. Just plain ol' didn't work. My next idea is to apply, spray and repeat several times to see if I can build up a color, but it has to wait until I can get hair spray.

Melissa

In one of the tutorials I watched, they recommended getting your hair slightly damp. They also said that flat ironing or curling would help seal in the color, then spritz with hair spray.

I'm super curious to try it! I might have to pick up some chalk pastels myself. My hair isn't hennaed(I'm working on that!), and it's about light to medium brown-lots of blonde and red in it.

Lenna15
I don't know much about henna, but I heard that eye shadow in bright colors then flat ironed works! remember to strand test first!