which henna - 2 separate issues

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lnb
which henna - 2 separate issues

I've been using Punjabi Prime and happy with it. It leaves my gray hair a nice lighter shade/highlights than the rest of my hair which I happen to like a lot.

I no longer see it on the website for sale!  Is it gone for good???  

What would I use in place of it?  R Twilight has a really high Lawsone of 2.6 whereas P Prime was 1.7.  R Monsoon is 2.1 .......... I don't want a uniform color I like the highlights.  Does it matter which one I use?

Oh, by the way everyone is just falling in love with my hair, the color, the shine ....... everything.  I'm going to henna my cousins hair over the President's day weekend.  She has a long history of chem dying her Asian hair brown/red burgundy and it's ALWAYS fading out.  After a week in Aruba my hair never faded or changed color. She was impressed.  What would work best for her?

Thanks - I'm been waiting for a call back or email response from Mehandi but I think I'll get a faster response here.

ACWN
Re: which henna - 2 separate issues

If its not on the sight, they've sold out.

Yes, it matters which you use... any henna with a 2% dye content is going to give you basically the same color... so you're going to have to pick one and dilute it a good deal to get the same dye content as PP. How much, I don't know.

Depending on how dark her hair is naturally, she may not get a visible color change, unfortunately.... this is the nature of henna, it cannot lighten. However, to get the most red out of henna.. I would recommend Twilight for 5 - 6 hours.

Lnb

Guess it's time to play "mad scientist".  I happened to have purchased 100 grams of R Jasmine which is 0.7.  I think I'll get some R Monsoon and do a 50/50,  leave it on for 5-6 hours and see how that works.  I'd rather keep it lighter than darker.

I'll also prep it with chamomile tea as suggested in another thread.  Get a good dye release and then freeze it. Does it matter how long it stays frozen?  Meaning, can I prepare the henna, freeze it and then thaw when I need to use it, like in a day or two?

I see Dextrose is used to keep the henna more pliable for skin art.  Does it serve a purpose in hair henna?

Thanks for your help!

ACWN

Strand test before you do anything with a new mix, especially a mix with two different hennas or diluting a high dye content henna into a lower one. You split the difference between the two hennas when you mix them (I think), but theres no real telling how its gonna come out and it could be way darker than what you want.

I mix a larger batch, split it into root sized amounts (50 - 100g) and then freeze it, mushed flat in ziplocks. Freezes and thaws faster this way. Frozen henna is good for about 6 - 10 months. So, yes. You can mix and leave it frozen till you need it, but break it down into portioned amounts.

Not that I know of. Dextrose, if I recall right, also helps keep the henna from cracking while on the skin and makes it take longer to dry out - these things are needed for a good stain on skin, but since you cover your hair, theres no need for it in that sense.

Carrie

If you mix equal amounts of 2 hennas with different dye content, that's no problem. The dye content of that mix will be the average of the 2 hennas you're using. For example, a 1:1 mix of Jasmine (0.7%) and Monsoon (2.1%) would be 1.4%.  A 1:1 mix of Jasmine and Twilight (2.6%) would be 1.65%. 

There is no minimum amount of time the henna has to stay frozen to get the benefit of freezing. Once it's frozen solid, you should get that added "bump" of dye release. 

Lnb

Thank you so much.  I'll order some R Twilight to mix with the R Jasmine for myself.

I'll see how much coverage my cousin wants and will go with either the R Monsoon or the R Twilight.  She's looking for more of a burgundy.  We're having a henna weekend party!

Looks like if I find a henna I like I should buy up a stash, wrap it up well and throw it in my freezer .... LOL

I'll mix up the batches of henna, freeze them and we can start as soon as she gets here.  What a great time saver.  I'll have to warm it a bit before using especially after last weeks deep freeze ...... don't even want to think about putting something that cold on my scalp.  Brrrrrrrrr .......

THANKS AGAIN!!

Jen

Be very gentle about warming/thawing your henna! Too much heat can totally kill it! Try putting it near the heat duct, or putting it in a bowl of warm (NOT HOT!) water. When I thaw little cones for body art I just put them in my pocket and thaw/warm them with body heat. DO NOT microwave it, or use hot/boiling water.

ACWN

To go with what Jen said, you can also let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then right before you apply, you can put it in a shallow pan of baby bath warm (just warmer than your own) water to bring it up to temp. You just may need to swap the water a time or two and mush the henna around to mix out any chilly spots.

Although, if you leave it in the fridge and use it straight out of there... it will be chilly, but it'll warm pretty quickly and it actually kinda helps to tell you if you have any missed spots! At least near your scalp. Handy for roots!

Lnb

Thanks for the thawing tips.  I'll probably let it thaw for an hour or so @ room temp and warm a bit right before using.  Since it'll be flat it shouldn't take to long @ all.

Thanks again!