can I mix henna powders to lower dye level?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
quite frankly
can I mix henna powders to lower dye level?

Ok all, 

I'm getting ready to order my first henna powder and the more I read the more I'm second guessing myself.

I have a medium auburn now (dyed with chemical dyes) and about 25% gray coming in with a cool medium brown (yuck).

I'm going to lighten the dyed stuff with vitamin C and conditioner and I want a rich red.  I want it bright, but not orange.  I don't want it to go too dark.

I was going to order monsoon, but now I'm thinking that will come out darker than I want.  So I thought punjabi prime would be good, but it has lead?!

The jasmine is only .7% dye content and that is too low, but my hair is damaged and I want to go easy on it.

My question is, can I mix the jasmine with the monsoon 60/40 and come out with a color along the lines of the punjabi?  Or will the color just deposit all weird and leave my hair looking like I tie-dyed it?

Any thoughts are most welcome!

ACWN
Re: can I mix henna powders to lower dye level?

The lead in PP is way below anything you would have to worry about (you'd probably have a higher amount in a grocery store tomato), but Lady C and her crew feel that their customers have the right to know all the details about the henna available so they can decide if they wish to purchase something with such contaminants and for people who may be sensitive to things like that.

From what I understand, if you mix two hennas together, you will actually end up adding their percentages rather than diluting the stronger one. If you want your results to be lighter, you need to dilute the henna with something that does not have dye - like conditioner - or something like cassia, which has a weak, yellow dye.

quite frankly

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up ordering 100g each of monsoon, punjabi prime and cassia.

The cassia will go on my bleached blonde chunk and I plan to use punjabi prime on the rest.  If I don't like the color after it settles, I figure if I started light, I can always repeat with either more punjabi prime or a gloss with monsoon.

Fingers crossed!

(I did get some rainwash too, hoping it all comes out right.)

ACWN

Sounds like a good plan to me. Always best to start out light and work your way up.

quite frankly

Thanks again!  I'm going to see if I can figure out how to post pictures and I'll take before pics as well as directly after pics and then more when the color oxidizes.  I am SO excited!

I also bought some of Mehandi's shampoo bars to try them out.  I read the warnings about hard water and soap scum in your hair, but I think the rainwash I ordered should take care of most, if not all, of that.

Now I just have to wait until it all arrives.

Carrie

If you mix a low dye content and high dye content henna together, you will get a dye content in the middle. If you are using an equal amount of each henna, you would add the 2 dye contents together, then divide by 2. 

quite frankly

Thanks for the reply.  I think I'm going to do some on head samples when I get my henna to see where it goes.  Then once I get one I like I will go ahead with that on my whole head.l