Henna/Indigo 4 hours grays still look orange

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Carrie
Re: Henna/Indigo 4 hours grays still look orange

I agree, I think it looks good and not too dark for you, just a little warmer and lighter where the gray is concentrated. Another application (indigo gloss is a fine idea) to cool that down would even things out, but be brief with it so you don't go black accidentally, since I gather that's not your intention. You could do just the crown hair and not the length for just a few minutes, possibly as little as 5 minutes will help, or you may need 15.  I'd go with 1 Tablespoon indigo per cup conditioner to start with, and you'll find out if you need it stronger than that or not. 

Kat's point about the benefits of using hendigo again is a good one - as an alternative to the indigo gloss, if your hair would like more henna in it for condition, and you'd like the color to be overall darker and richer on your gray, you could use the hendigo again but just where the gray is concentrated, not on the ends that are already too dark. 

hennaheadnewbie

Thank you Kat and Carrie.  The color is growing on me and for right now, I am happy with it.  I'm going to wait to see if I want to darken the crown area more or not.  Right now I'm okay with it.

What I'd love advice on now is my preparation for what is to come next.  The two things I've heard about is indigo fading and then of course the need for root touch ups.  At this point I am not sure when I will need another treatment.  I'll have to see how fast my hair grows and if I have any fading.

What is generally recommended?

If there is indigo fading, then either an indigo or henndigo gloss for just a few minutes to revive?

On the roots, would I just buy sample packs of the indigo, henna and amla and do a small portion, just the roots, with the same ratio as I did the rest of my hair once gray starts to show?  Or do I purchase the kit again and just take out measured portions from that?

I'm just trying to prepare myself ahead of time so that I can, maybe in a few weeks, buy what I need to have it on hand for when I'll need it.

I've read everywhere from people touching up from 4 weeks to 8 weeks or longer.  I imagine it's an individual thing depending upon how quickly my grays start to show and hair grows?

Is there ever a need for another full head henndigo if the current color is good?  Or just root touchups and glosses as needed to revive color?

Thanks.  Sorry for so many questions.  I will say that as messy as this was and as long as it took me to research everything and to get the courage to do this, I am very happy that I did :)

By the way...where do you send in your story and photos to henna for hair?  I would like to help others just as some of the photos, stories and how-to's helped me.

Carrie

The basic rule is, only dye your hair when you want to change the color :)  If you like the color on your length, you don't need to add more color, and you should not, because that would change the color, darkening it further. 

If the indigo fades, color your hair with indigo (indigo gloss if you only need a little browning of the color). If the henna and indigo fades, color your hair with henna and indigo.

If you like what your hendigo mix did last time, use the same mix for roots. Don't put it on the length unless the length needs more color. If you only want to add a little bit of that color, dilute it in conditioner (or xanthan gum gel, flaxseed gel, pectin gel) and use it as a gloss. 

Touch up roots when the amount of roots you are seeing starts to bother you. There is no rule for when that will occur. Some people do it when they see 1/8 to 1/4 inch of roots. Others are not bothered until they see 1 inch, or even 3 inches of roots. If your hair is curly or styled in a way that the roots don't show much, you can go longer before your roots show. 

Catherine is no longer updating the Mixes page on the main Henna For Hair site. But we have a Flickr page where you can submit photos and the details of your mix:  www.flickr.com/groups/hennaforhair/

hennaheadnewbie

Thank you Carrie for answering all of my questions.  I appreciate it :)

hennaheadnewbie

Is there a link that shows how to do your roots and also how to do a gloss (how long to leave it on, etc.)?  I'm trying to figure out how you would put the mud on your roots without getting it all over and still be able to cover with plastic wrap, etc.  I assume roots would be for the same amount of time, so if I did 6 hours, then I'd leave it on the roots for 6 hours?

ACWN

There isnt a link, but this is how I do it... it works well and is pretty easy.

What you need is a second mirror for your bathroom, so you can hang it opposite your normal bathroom mirror and can angle one or the other as needed. This will allow you to see all sides of your head. You'll also need 6 - 8 small alligator hair clips to pin your hair up.

Split your hair in half (you can do this damp or dry, whatever is easiest for you). Tie one side off with a hair tie to keep it out of the way. Take the other half and split it into 3 - 4 smaller sections. Twist them into buns and pin them with the clips. Repeat with the other side.

Take your henna and place in a ketchup squeeze bottle or a carrot bag - you can make your own by putting your henna in a ziplock. Tape off the opening, mush all the henna into one corner and twist. Snip a small bit off for your opening (small will help you control the flow).

Now just apply to your roots! You undo one section at a time, parting every half inch or so and applying a line of paste. Repeat until you're done. Cover as normal (you'll just have to slightly bunch your length up slightly). Keeping your hair parted into multiple sections and pinned up will help you control it without it getting tangled.

As for a gloss... you just mix a small amount of paste (IE a tablespoon) into a large amount (IE 1 cup) conditioner. How long you leave it on depends on what color you want. A gloss is prone to dripping when its warmed (conditioner melts), so you can thicken your conditioner prior to adding the henna. A tutorial for it can be found here - [link]

Carrie

We have FAQs for roots and glosses here:  forums.hennapage.com/node/98

hennaheadnewbie

Thank you!  I've copied and pasted your instructions so that I can refer to them once I need them :)

Debbie

hennaheadnewbie

Thank you Carrie.  Lots of great resources on that link :)

Debbie

hennaheadnewbie

More recent photos after henna was fully oxidized.  It's been close to 2 weeks now and these were taken about a week ago:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/DKunesh/2012December04-095204466.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/DKunesh/2012December04-09490864.jpg

This below was the color a day after doing the full head henndigo

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/DKunesh/2012November30-071340692.jpg

So for me, it oxidized to the color I was looking for :)

Pages