New to Henna and Please I need help

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nora
New to Henna and Please I need help

Hi

My hair is chin length, was permanent dyed with 3N Goldwell(Darkest Brown).  I've coloured for years and was at the point where the grey on the top of my head was grew so fast that I had to colour every two weeks.  I started colouring my own at home with professional dye as the salon bill was extreme.  Things went well until my last two colours. I had a major chemical reaction.  Burning scalp and sores.  

So, I heard about Henna at my salon.  I picked up a box of powder brown Colora from the natural food market and tried it last night.  I also started to read on this site about others hennaing their hair.  I felt positive.  Hennaed last evening with the Colora powder.  (I wanted black to get a dark brown but they didn't have any.)  My hair is naturally a medium brown with quite a bit of grey only on the top.  

I mixed the henna powder with black tea and three drops of Lavender and three drops of tea tree oil.  Put it on and left it for 3 hours.  Rinsed it out last night.  Shampooed and styled this morning.  It looks unbelievably good on the part that had dye on it.  Shiny with nice highlights.  I like it better.  Problem is, the new growth turned golden.  Very pretty golden, but still it looks strange.  It is only about a cm long so I can hide it until I get some help. :) I am committed to this process now.

My question is, should I order body art quality henna and indigo.  If so, how much and what would you recommend buy and try first.  I want to be successful with this.  Thanks so much for any recommendations.

Nora

ACWN
Re: New to Henna and Please I need help

Sounds like your grays didnt take the dye too well... and that could be caused by a couple things. 1. You hair wasnt clean when you henna-ed. Your hair always needs to be squeaky clean - as in just stepped out of the shower 2 minutes before you applied clean. Or 2. your grays are somewhat dye resistant - which happens. I would suggest washing your hair with baking soda to help open up the hair shaft next time around.

Now... if you're wanting black, thats easy enough. Purchase some Celebration (about 200 - 300 grams will do), this is mehandi.com's highest dye content henna and will cover even stubborn grays. Purchase a matching amount of indigo.

Mix the henna with something acidic (tea would work fine) to the texture of lumpy mashed potatoes. Let it sit for dye release (about 2 hours) with plastic wrap pressed down onto the henna to avoid air exposure. Test for dye release on your palm (smear some on, let it sit a minute. When you rinse it off, you want a noticable orange stain - like this). When you have it, mix with more liquid till its a smooth texture about the consistancy of stirred yogurt, apply and cover with either plastic wrap or a cheap shower cap. Press the cap down onto the henna to avoid too much air touching the paste. Cover that with a beanie.

Let it sit for at least 3 hours. Longer if you can stand it. Overnight would be fine if you think you can handle sleeping on it.

Rinse and shampoo. No conditioner.

Grab the indigo and mix with warmed, distilled water to about the same consistancy as your henna. Apply right away, cover and let sit for an hour.

Rinse, shampoo, and condition.

Voila! Black cat black hair!

Carrie

Agree with ACWN's advice, if you want black hair.

Just want to mention that the other factor in your failure to get good color on your virgin hair is that you used a premixed henna product. It probably also contained indigo. It's likely that you didn't get good dye release and/or uptake because it was premixed. Henna and indigo have different pH preferences in terms of getting the most dye out of them, so often people don't get good gray coverage with the brown or black premixed dyes. 

Typically the premixed dyes say to add hot water. If that was the case, and your water wasn't hot, that could also mess up your results.

angie

Just adding my 2 cents...the Celebration WILL definitely cover greys and white hairs. I just did mine yesterday with Celebration and the coverage on my white hair is phenomenal!  :-)

Nora

Thank you all so much.  I actually would prefer to have dark brown hair instead of black.  Can I still use the celebration product?  Thanks.

ACWN

Yes, celebration would be the best one for you to use. Second best would be yemen and what is in the bundles for brunette to cover gray. I would say the dark brunette bundle for gray.

Nora

The Celebration sounds good.  How do I make it brown instead of black?  Do I still purchase the Indigo?  Thanks again.  

Nora

ACWN

Yes. This is why I suggested the bundles as they come with everything you need in ready measured amounts. You just follow the instructions.

Nora

Oh, thank you.  I didn't see the celebration in a bundle.  I will look again.  Thanks very much.

ACWN

They dont have Celebration in bundles yet. Yemen is your next best bet (its dye content is second highest), and should do fine. Just remember to apply on freshly washed hair.

Nora

I would like to try the celebration.  Would you recommend that I order large quantity to save.  Could you recommend how much henna and how much indigo.  I don't mind if it is on the dark to almost black side.  Just wouldn't want it goth.  My main concern is that it look darkest brown and cover the grey.  Thank you ACWN for your advise.

ACWN

Of henna, yes. You can wrap it up and put it in the freezer. It will keep for several years. However, I believe indigo tends to dye best when its fresh, so dont buy too much extra as it will only keep a certain while, even when sealed.

If you want dark brown, I would say a 50/50 mix would be a good place to start testing. For 3 - 4 hours. Dye release your henna, then mix the indigo, and mix the two. Apply to hair harvested from your brush. Put that in a ziplock baggie and seal it with little to no air in it. Put it in your pocket for about 3 hours. Rinse and let it sit for at least a week. I know thats a long time, but it takes about that long for plant dyes to settle into their final color.

Nora

Thanks Again.  

Once I do the henna and indigo treatment and then my roots grow again, do I do the henna and indigo treatments again and only cover the new root growth?  

If so, do you ever put the henna through the hair to the ends again?  If the answer to that question is yes, then would I also put another application of indigo on all the hair again root to ends.    

Nora

Carrie

You would only use henna and/or indigo again if the dye fades. The henna is very unlikely to fade, but the indigo might, the first 2-3 times you use it.

xyz

Nora,

I, too, started henna-ing right over a "darkest brown" chem dye.  My natural hair is dark-dark brown but not quite black, and I have a few scattered grays here and there.  For my initial treatments, I used 50% Punjabi Prime henna and 50% Indigo in one step (i.e. dye-released the henna overnight with lemon juice, then made the indigo paste, mixed both together, and applied for 4 hours).  I also added a little bit of amla occasionally.  The results were a chestnut brown shade that, depending on the light source, glowed auburn sometimes, burgundy others.  My grays got stained different shades of lightish to medium auburn.  I experienced little if any fading of the indigo, but then again 50% of it in a hendigo mix that stayed on 4 hours was perhaps not likely to show up much (on my hair color and type) anyways since henna eventually overrides the indigo.  Here are some pictures showing my hair after 4 or so such full-head "hendigo" treatments.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodriraida/HennaIndigoHendigo#

However, I recently started using Celebration (full-head, my natural hair is so dark that no saturation will make it “too” red ever, plus I so enjoy the feel of the cool paste on my head and the carving out “for me” time every so often…) and I’ve found that my grays develop a much deeper auburn that blends better within the dark hair.  So well in fact that I haven’t used indigo the last 2 times and I’m pretty satisfied with the coverage of my whites/grays.  They still glow red, but the overall effect is more subtle.  I think I might do that for a while (high-dye-content henna only), until I develop more grays and need to go back to “henna + indigo” treatments or start a “henna followed by indigo” routine. 

I did my second "henna only" a week ago so I'm giving my hair a chance to oxidize thoroughly before I take and share photos...I’ll post them as “Celebration on darkest brown hair with grays” soon. Look for them next week if you’re interested. 

Good luck to you!

Nora

Love your photos XYZ. Your hair is amazing, so beautiful and shiny.  

I need your help again please.

My Amla arrived today, so I'm ready to tackle my grey roots again.  To refresh your memory my roots are currently a dark brownish burgundy, but still not a dark as the rest of the hair.  

First I started with half henna dye released with orange juice and half Indigo mixed with warm distilled water, left it on for 2.5 hrs. the roots turned bright red.

Second time I tried 25 gms henna to 50 gms of indigo.  I didn't have any amla. The roots were darker more burgundy but still a lot of red in the sun. 

I have 25 gms dye released henna in my freeze now.  Should I defrost this for 20 min?add amla to the henna.  How much Alma to 25 gms of henna?  Would 6 gms be sufficient.

Then should I add 50 gms of indigo or would you suggest 75 gms of indigo this time.  Also, do I just put the Amla powder directly in with the dye released henna in powder form or should it be mixed first with a liquid. 

Thank you so much for your great information.

Nora