Gloss with Henna/Indigo to cover gray/orange

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Gloss with Henna/Indigo to cover gray/orange

I tried a gloss of just indigo the other day and it worked pretty well.  It has washed out a little and the orange is showing again, plus the gray is growing back in.

My hair, other than the roots is very very dark brown from henna/indigo mix with 2 parts indigo to one part henna.

If I am trying to get the roots to match the hair what would be the best way to do that gloss?

Mix with henna and indigo powder all at once or henna amla and indigo all at once?  Or , I have a henna pasted in the freezer made with lemon juice a while ago.  Mix that with amla, indigo and conditioner ??

Thanks!

Oh, and what is Buxus?

ACWN
Re: Gloss with Henna/Indigo to cover gray/orange

Do NOT mix the powders together!! Henna and indigo require drastically different dye release needs and acid (like amla) mixed directly with indigo will kill the indigo. Henna acts as a buffer between the acid and indigo, which is why a hennigo with an acidic henna works but if you dump the powders together, it very likely will be the same as if you'd mixed the amla and indigo together without the henna. However, if you mix indigo with an overly acidic henna (such as amla + lemon juice), it is more than the henna can protect the indigo against and the indigo may not work.

I would just mix the henna paste with indigo paste and mix that into a conditioner, but keep in mind if you have gray showing already, you may as well just redo the hennigo - depending on how much gray is showing. I'm pretty sure I asked this before, but have you tried the gray troubleshooting methods?

Carrie

Buxus, also known as katam, is a blue-green plant dye used with henna to make brown and blonde colors but it is out of stock and it isn't possible to get products out of Yemen right now so there isn't any more buxus coming for the time being. 

Tracey

So Buxus would make the henna/indigo mix more brown than orange better than the amla?

ACWN

Buxus is basically just a weak version of indigo - different plants, but the dye color is the same. I dont know that adding it would benefit your mix any, but as Carrie said... the store is out of it and cant get any more in right now, so its kinda moot any way.

It was a suggestion in a previous topic that one mix the indigo powder directly into the conditioner then letting the mix sit for a bit, as it powder straight into the conditioner makes the gloss stronger, however I distinctly remember explaining this and explaining how a gloss is traditionally made (as per the FAQ - paste into conditioner) in that same thread...

You can either make fresh henna paste with amla, or thaw the henna you have frozen. You would then make the indigo into a paste, combine the two and combine that with conditioner.

Tracey

I have done the gray trouble shooting methods and the only thing that sort of worked was the amla with the henna. This last time I used less amla and I believe that is why it didn't work so well. 

I am supposed to make the gloss by mixing the indigo with water and making a paste and then mixing it with conditioner?  I thought I was just supposed to mix the indigo into the conditioner.  That is what I did.

So if I wanted to try a henna/indigo gloss, I would mix henna with amla and let it sit over night to release?  Then I would make a paste at the last minute with indigo and water and then I would mix the two together into a conditioner and leave on for 10 minutes or so? 

Thanks for all the answers, having trouble following this sometimes. 

Tracey

I just re-read the FAQ on gloss.  Want to make sure I understand this. I currently have henna mixed with lemon juice that was in the freezer.  I thawed it overnight on the counter.  I can mix that with conditioner and indigo to apply as gloss to make lil gray and orange roots brown? 

If yes, should I make the indigo into a paste first and then mix 2 pastes into conditioner or just the henna needs to be made as a paste for dye release and indigo powder can be added to henna paste and conditioner?

Thanks!

Carrie

Rather than mixing indigo powder directly into your acidic mix, I would mix the indigo powder in the conditioner first (the water in it will help it release dye, and hopefully the conditioner isn't very acidic so it won't interfere with the indigo). Since you are only doing a brief application (not 3 or more hours) I would let that indigo/conditioner mix sit for a few minutes, maybe 10-15 minutes.  Then stir that very thoroughly into your thawed henna paste.

To dye gray hair brown you will want this gloss to be pretty strong, probably at least 2 tablespoons of each dye powder per cup of conditioner. If your roots are dye resistant you're better off using paste and not gloss, unless you want a lighter color. 

Tracey

So if I am going to try dying my roots with Henna/Indigo gloss the amounts would be -

1 1/2 tablespoons Henna and a 1/2 tablesppon Amla mixed with water, let sit 12 hoursish and test.

Then mix into 1 cup conditioner

Wash hair

Mix 2 (or 4?) tablespoons Indigo into water, then mix into 1 cup conditioner.

Then mix indigo gloss with henna/amla gloss.

Is this all correct?

Also - I read somewhere that it is sometimes better to leave the indigo gloss sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Should I do this before I mix the 2 gloseses together?

When I apply, what is the recommended amount of time to leave a henna/indigo gloss on ?  I think the FAQ said 30 minutes, is this correct?

Thank you!

Carrie

I'd only use 2 Tablespoons of indigo in that mix if you are using it on roots that do not already have henna on them. 

And in that case (using it on un-dyed roots) I would leave it on 30 minutes for blonde or up to 2 hours for darker color, light auburn to brown. Results vary from person to person so strand testing is recommended to determine the right timing for the color you want. 

Tracey

Some of what will be touched by the gloss have henna and are orangish/ light brownish and some closer to the scalp are gray.

Still do only 2 tablespoons of indigo?  So 1/2 amla, 1 1/2 henna and 2 indigo?

Carrie

That's what I would suggest as a starting point for your strand testing. 

Tracey

Earlier you suggested leaving the indigo mix sit for 10 to 15 minutes for dye release (when I was using only Indigo gloss).  Would you recommend I do this when making a henna/indigo gloss as well?

Carrie

The main reason I would suggest letting it sit a few minutes first is if you're planning just a short application time, so you want it working well when you apply it. If you plan a longer application time, there is no need to let it sit first. It has enough time to get going while it's on your head. 

Tracey

What is the reason why with a total of 4 tbsps I would need 2 cups of conditioner?  Could I do the 4 tbsps with 1 cup?

Thanks for all the help!

ACWN

The more paste you put into a single cup conditioner, the stronger the gloss gets. 4 tablespoons paste to 2 cups would be the same as 2 tablespoons to a single cup conditioner, which is a fairly strong gloss.

Tracey

So if the coverage isn't working as I had hoped and the color is still auburn instead of dark dark brown, would I get a darker tone if I did 4 tbsps powder to 1 cup conditioner?

When I tried doing just indigo last week I did almost 20 minutes of 3 tbsps indigo in 1 cup conditioner and even that wasn't nearly as dark as the rest of my hair.

Are the chances of getting it darker better with less conditioner to the amount of powder? 

Friday did 2 cups conditioner to the 1/2 amla, 1 1/2 henna, 2 indigo.  Isn't dark at all.

Going to try just the indigo over it tonight since it covered the white, just isn't dark.  If last time I did 3 tbsps indigo to 1 cup conditioner for 20 minutes, would I be better off seeing darker with a longer time on or more indigo or both?  Per one cup conditioner.

Thanks!

ACWN

If you arent getting the color you want with a gloss, I would strongly recommend forgetting it entirely and trying an actual full strength application. Glosses are meant to only deposit a SMALL amount of color at a time to either start out slow if one is nervous or to replenish/perk up the color, you are not going to get a dark dark brown with one unless you do it repeatedly and in that case you're better off just doing a full strength any way cause its less of a pain.

Tracey

I have done full app numerous times and that isnt' doing it very well either.  Has only worked well twice and can't figure out why.

Gloss is better for me for a couple reasons, mainly the amount of time it is on and the fact that having that much paste on my head causes a great amount of neck pain for me, at times.

I did the gloss with 2 cups on friday and my neck has been hurting ever since, alot.

Will putting more paste in less conditioner make it darker?

Thank you!

Carrie

Putting more paste in the conditioner should make it darker, assuming you leave it on long enough. Both the strength of the gloss and the application time play into how much depth of color you get. 

I was going to suggest the same as ACWN, though. If you aren't getting nearly the darkness you need, then doing a gloss isn't the answer; most likely you need a full strength paste. 

For neck aches from holding up your head under the weight of lots of paste or gloss, I'd suggest lying down while it's on. Good excuse for a little nap. Just put an old towel over your pillow (indigo doesn't come out even with bleach). I used to get lots of head/neck aches during/after henna until I figured out I don't have to wrap my head in a towel, a small warm cap will do. But I've never used 2 whole cups of paste so I can only imagine the weight you're putting up with!  I would lie down for comfort's sake.