Using henna a second time

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lex1337
Using henna a second time

I have dyed my hair with henna once and have recently ordered more to touch up my roots. The first time I used henna, I didn't want it to be too dark, so I used fruit pectin to help it stay light and only left it on for an hour. It turned a nice orange-y red over my natural blonde and I was pleased with the result. 

Now, I feel if it was a bit more red, it might look better with my skin tone. But, once again, I don't want to go too dark. I was wondering if henna a second time takes more or less and how long I might want to leave it on if I do decide to henna my whole head again. 

ACWN
Re: Using henna a second time

Strand testing is really the only way to know. Keep in mind henna builds in layers, even when diluted, so applying all over a second time will make you hair twice as dark/red - give or take.

Also keep in mind that any new growth you have will only be effected once, so if you do decide to do a second all over application.. you will need to do your roots first and wash them before you do the all over application to get the same color. Leaving it on for double the time (leaving it on one hour then applying all over and leaving it for another hour) may not get it exactly the same.

Lex1337

Thanks for the reply. I have heard it compounds significantly, which is why I was a bit trepidatious. Any tips to get it just a shade or two darker? Maybe less time or something to add to it? Any experience with this specific problem would be greatly appreciated.

Jen

Mixing spoonfuls of prepared henna paste with a few ounces of conditioner or yogurt is called a gloss. This method is often used for a more subtle change.

Lex1337

I've been reading up on glosses and a lot of people like them, but also say they are temporary. This would be nice to test it out, but is there a detemining factor in what makes a gloss temporary or permanent? Anything that I would add/not add to make it temporary/permanent? Thanks for all the help! 

Carrie

I would never tell anyone to consider a henna gloss temporary! If you avoid boiling water, henna is permanent whether it is full strength or diluted into conditioner (a gloss).

Lex1337

Maybe temporary was a poor choice of words. Most people have said it mostly washes out, which is what I meant by "temporary". Have any of you done a henna gloss before? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Carrie

I've done henna glosses quite a bit. They don't fade for me.  

When I used boiling water to mix henna, it faded. Not completely, but very noticeably. When I use a room temperature liquid, it didn't fade at all. 

It's normal for henna to be very bright at first and then darken and deepen to a richer but less bright color. That's what happen when the dye completes its oxidation process. Some people call that fading but I don't think that is accurate. Fading is when the color leaves your hair, so it reverts back to the pre-henna color.