switching from LJ to tea-what to expect?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
angelstrings
switching from LJ to tea-what to expect?

Hi everyone-I've been happily using Yemen henna from this site for the past year. The results I have made my hair go from it's natural ash-blond to medium auburn. I have decided, after much thought, to now go darker. I intend to do this by doing a few whole head applications. The only thing I want to do differently is that I want to use tea instead of lemon juice. LJ makes my head itch so bad! What results do you think I can expect in switching from LJ to tea? Will it make my hair immediatly darker? Lighter? Remember, it's already hennaed to medium auburn. How long does dye release take using tea? Right now, using LJ, I let it set for almost 12 hours.

Thanks for reading this and for all your help!--strings

Carrie
Re: switching from LJ to tea-what to expect?

You'll probably get dye release in 3-4 hours if you use room temperature tea; test it on your palm to be sure, and put it in the fridge if it's ready and you're not.  I doubt if you'll notice a difference in your color results from switching to tea since you're already medium auburn. Next stop ... cherry cola!

angelstrings

Hi Carrie--Thanks for writing back. I can't WAIT to go darker. I also am excited about not having my head itch off my shoulders tonight when I henna.

Can I freeze the henna made with tea? I always froze my leftover henna made with LJ and when I'd use it again it was just fine, no difference.

Thanks again for this wonderful website and the products you all provide!

ACWN

Yes, you can freeze the mix.

Just a personal note as I use tea. Carrie said 3 - 4 hours with room temp tea, but that may not be the case depending on the temp of the room you keep the henna in while it dye releases. If its 70 - 75 degrees, you may get dye release as soon as an hour or two. I mix my last batch with slightly cool tea and left it in a room that was closer to 80 degrees and got solid dye release in an hour.

So you may want to start testing on your palm at an hour.

angelstrings

ACWN, are you using regular tea, or chamomile?

(Sorry if this is a double post. After I posted the first one, I looked for it but it wasn't there. So, I thought I'd post again to make sure it got up. Thanks!)

ACWN

The tea needs to be acidic to get good dye release - chamomile, black, green, hibiscus, zinger, citrus based (such as an orange tea). I'm sure there are others, but these have been mentioned before. Black and green have caffeine and can give you the jitters, so be mindful of that.

Chamomile is typically what I use. Very strong - 3 packets for every cup. I still get dye release fairly quickly with it - I've only ever gotten 2 hours when it was blistering cold during the winter. Last time I used Mango Passionfruit and it worked beautifully.

angelstrings

So, I used the chamomile. I was SHOCKED when dye release had already happened at 1 hour. I didn't let the tea cool all the way down to room temp, but it was just warm-certainly not hot when I mixed it. But as soon as I mixed it, I noticed it left orange on my skin. I waited 1.5 hours before applying it, then by the time I had put it all over my head it was 2 hours.

Already, I am happier using chamomile. My head isn't burning and itching like it does with lemon juice. Thanks Carrie and ACWN for answering my questions. Take care--

ACWN

Just be careful, too hot and it may fade and go dull. And remember that with less acidic liquids, your window to put the henna on and get staining before demise is much smaller so its best to apply as soon as you see dye release.

Glad it worked out for you though!