Test strands way to dark and ORANGE - help please

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
thomppl
Test strands way to dark and ORANGE - help please

I posted a few days ago about possibly doing henna on bleached hair.  I just did 3 separate strand tests with Purity (4 hours on strands), Punjabi Prime (5 hours), and Yemen (6 hours).  While the Yemen appears a bit darker than the others they all look really dark coppery...dark relative to my blond that is.  I only rinsed them a few hours ago so they haven't oxidized...if they even will since the original hair was sooooo bleached.

But now I'm thinking maybe I should go with either a Cassia/Henna mix or a henna gloss.  Perchance a strawberry blond is more what I'm aiming for versus copper.  Am I correct in thinking that the Cassia will make my bleached hair appear green?  Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would like to order new samples...although I used all my strands ;)...so I can get my final color before school starts back in the middle of August.

Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Test strands way to dark and ORANGE - help please

Give them 3 or 4 days to oxidize before making a final assessment; henna is always nuclear orange like that at first :D

For less color, you can leave henna on for a shorter time, or dilute it in conditioner (a gloss), or mix it with cassia. I've gotten strawberry blonde tones by using 1 tsp of henna per 100 gm of cassia. You might like a cassia mix with 1 tsp henna and 1 tsp buxus - it's a bit less bright, more warm honey color that with the buxus in there, a very natural look.  A conditioner gloss with the same amounts of henna and buxus would be similar in color.

Cassia used alone should not make your hair turn green if you rinse well and shampoo afterwards, but a strand test is always wise. It may have too much of a yellow tone for what you're after.

thomppl

Thanks for the info.  Let me make sure I got this straight before I order my samples :)  Strawberry blondish would be 1 tsp henna with 100 g cassia.  If I added 1 tsp buxus to that I would make it a little more honey colored?  I have SUPER thick hair...my hairdresser has to make a double batch when coloring my hair...so I'm thinking on my shoulder length hair I should do like 400 g cassia and 4 tsp of henna and possibly 4 tsp of buxus?  I will of course do a strand test (may go get a trim and collect the hair) but cassia would be okay on bleached hair?

thanks again!

Carrie

Sounds good. I mix the buxus at the last minute with warm water - it doesn't need to sit.

I have encountered just a few reports of greenish tint with cassia on blonde hair. Usually it seems to wash out so I suspect it may be that they just didn't get the green paste thoroughly rinsed out. Bleached hair, being more porous, might need more attention in the rinsing stage. But to be very safe, do a strand test with cassia alone on some of the bleached hair and make sure you're okay with it.

Some people also don't like the textural changes they get with cassia, complaining of strawlike dryness.  Dye-released cassia gives me thick shiny hair, but without dye release I can kind of see where they're coming from, describing the results as strawlike. My hair gets kind of poufy if I apply it without dye release. You just have to try it on your hair to find out what it does for you.

thomppl

Thanks for all your input.  I'm ordering samples tonight so I can get started soon!!!