Using Henna to Cover Gray for First Time

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
mmoorehead
Using Henna to Cover Gray for First Time

Hi.  I am considering using Henna to color my gray hair for the first time.  My hair is naturally dark brown; however, it looks almost black unless outside in the sunlight or being held up to a light.  My scalp is very sensitive so I am careful about the products I use.  I would like to stay as close to my natural hair color as possible.  I do not want black hair.  Any suggestions and/or recommendations regarding product(s) and/or procedure(s) would be appreciated.

Thank You

Carrie
Re: Using Henna to Cover Gray for First Time

I'd recommend the Henna for Gray Hair: Dark Brunette kit:  http://www.mehandi.com/shop/graybundles/index.html

That will give you a dark brown, but not black. It doesn't fade so when your roots grow in, you can just touch them up.  If you do your whole head again the length may turn black.

mmoorehead

I have been reading other posts on the forum and I've seen it mentioned that the gray will come out some shade of red.  Will that be the case with using what you recommended?  If after using the henna mixture on my entire head to cover the gray, I only touchup the roots - would I use cassia all over for the henna-like benefits?  If so, would the cassia be applied on a different day or could I do both the same day?

Carrie

Henna alone (without indigo) will make gray hair red. Henna + indigo will make it brown. Sometimes if something goes wrong with the indigo, you'll get more red than you want; you may have seen people writing in to get advice about that? 

If you want to, you can use cassia on the length at the same time when you are doing roots touchups. They don't have to be done separately. Just apply your regular mix to the roots, then smoosh on some cassia on your length, and wrap it up.

mmoorehead

Thank you for your response Carrie.  I have natural hair that is bra strap length when stretched.  How many kits do you think I will need to color my hair initially?

Is cassia ok to use in my daughter's hair? 

Carrie

The Dark Brunette kit contains 100 gm henna and 200 gm indigo, totalling 300 gm. That is probably enough (just barely) for one treatment. If your hair is pretty thick it would be best to prepare some extra, like another 100 gm extra.  So I think it would be wise to get 2 kits in case you need more, and then you'll also have some for your roots touchups.

HennaCurls

Everything that Carrie has said is of course accurate.  I will say that I have found gray harder to be the hardest hair to color, even when I was using chemical dye.  That is probably one of the reasons I leave it on for a considerable amount of time.  I think that is as important as anything else.

cheray

I used the Auburn to cover my gray for the first time.....I had about 3 inches of gray and the rest of my hair is brown and very long (nearly to  the back of my knees when stretched, but thin and wispy  of course there.) and holy dooley, do I look like Krusty the Clown. Its not gonna get any darker and I have to wear a hat.  My plait looks great jsut not the top of my  head.How do I rectify my  undeniably orange hair? What should I have done or not done? I used lemon juice to mix by the way....Orange is not my colour Im afraid...

Carrie

If your desired color is dark auburn, get some Twilight, prepare it with something a little acidic (like you did - which was fine). Make sure you have good dye release before you apply (test on your palm for a couple minutes). Leave it on your hair for 5-6 hours or overnight if that is more convenient. That should oxidize to a darker auburn, but if you'd still like it darker, hit the roots again. After that you should only need to touch up roots as they grow in, and as there's inevitably some overlap with that process, you'll be hitting most of the hair twice with henna over time.

Or you can add in some indigo with that - 10-25% for a browner shade of auburn, 50% for a reddish brown. But I would try with just henna first, and use the strongest henna available.

If what you used was the Henna for Gray kit: Auburn, that contains a high dye content henna (not sure if that means Twilight- maybe Jen can verify? I'll PM her).

monica32

My hair is almost like a brown/black but around the crown of my hair, it is really gray.  Also in some spots it is gray. What henna color and brand would I get to do my hair. I am a newbie to all of this. I have had my hair natural for a year now. I have used a rinse twice but within two days the gray would be back. SO I have stopped using it altogether.  

Carrie

I'd suggest you get Henna for Gray -Dark Brunette.  www.mehandi.com/shop/graybundles/index.html

We're finding it's best to leave it on for 5-6 hours for best gray coverage.