Getting ready to dye -- final questions before going for it!

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lila
Getting ready to dye -- final questions before going for it!

Heya!

So, I'm planning on doing a one-step hendigo. first time! :)
(i was here a while back asking about what to buy, etc; here was that thread:
http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4165  )

i bought what i think i need, and am planning on strand testing tomorrow.
i have a bunch more questions before (finally!) getting started :)

1- i read that "direct heat styling (flat iron or curling iron) will darken henna to a browner color". okay... but is that only within the first couple days? if i decide to curl it about 10 days after the dyeing, will it still alter the color then? what about blow drying?

2- does my choice of acid liquid affect the final smell? (as in, if i use orange juice, will my hair smell slightly fruity?)

3- my hair usually lightens a bit in the summer sun (lightens, and i often get like natural streaks/highlights); how will henna-ing or hendigo-ing affect that? will i still get slightly lighter streaks, or will my hair all stay the same?

4- if adding ginger (to tamper down the smell of the henna), at what step would you do it? and what quantities are we talking? is this normal ginger, as in the spice, or something else? what else would work to tamper the smell?

5- do i need to 'prepare' my hair before dyeing it, in any way...? things to do, things not to do? (i usually just shampoo & condition, nothing else)

6- things to do or avoid after dyeing? (not shampooing? or just with the henna shampoo bars..? etc)

7- how does adding amla, affect the 'recipe'? i understand amla means no acid liquid? what if i only want to add a little bit of amla...?
- i've read also some people add honey? why?

8- i read some reports of loss of volume to the hair after plant dyes...?

9- what's the concensus on deying eyebrows? worth it, or not...? would one leave it on as long as on the hair, or less...?

10- are there tricks to not have your ears/neck/forehead dyed by the henna, lol?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

ACWN
Re: Getting ready to dye -- final questions before going for it!

1- i read that "direct heat styling (flat iron or curling iron) will darken henna to a browner color". okay... but is that only within the first couple days? if i decide to curl it about 10 days after the dyeing, will it still alter the color then? what about blow drying?

No, it will do it regardless of how long after. Strand test afterwards, but if you're making your hair darker it shouldnt be a problem.

2- does my choice of acid liquid affect the final smell? (as in, if i use orange juice, will my hair smell slightly fruity?)

It might? I never really noticed the smell personally. If you find you dont like the smell, you can add a tablespoon per 100g henna of ginger or cloves into the henna paste after dye release.

3- my hair usually lightens a bit in the summer sun (lightens, and i often get like natural streaks/highlights); how will henna-ing or hendigo-ing affect that? will i still get slightly lighter streaks, or will my hair all stay the same?

It might lighten a little, but I would not count on it.

4- if adding ginger (to tamper down the smell of the henna), at what step would you do it? and what quantities are we talking? is this normal ginger, as in the spice, or something else? what else would work to tamper the smell?

See my reply for 2. :)

5- do i need to 'prepare' my hair before dyeing it, in any way...? things to do, things not to do? (i usually just shampoo & condition, nothing else)

Wash your hair directly before you apply - I mean 5 minutes before. Towel dry. If you have grays or dye resistant hair, avoid conditioner and use something like dish soap or a clarifying shampoo.

6- things to do or avoid after dyeing? (not shampooing? or just with the henna shampoo bars..? etc)

With indigo, avoid shampoo for at least 48 hours but otherwise theres nothing specific you need do or not do.

7- how does adding amla, affect the 'recipe'? i understand amla means no acid liquid? what if i only want to add a little bit of amla...?
- i've read also some people add honey? why?

In a hennigo, amla cools down the warm tones of the henna making the resulting brown more of a dark chocolate instead of a milk chocolate. Amla is acidic, so you only want to use water for the liquid. You would use 25g amla per 100g henna.

Honey can help the henna rinse out easier and can add moisture. Too much will dilute the dye. If its your first time, keep it simple.

8- i read some reports of loss of volume to the hair after plant dyes...?

People who have curl or waves will see this loosening - people with waves more so. Henna adds weight which pulls the hair down. Amla can help prevent this.

9- what's the concensus on deying eyebrows? worth it, or not...? would one leave it on as long as on the hair, or less...?

We cannot endorse it as it is not approved to be used on the face or near the eyes. I dont entirely think its worth it (I have done it) because the brows tend to shed and regrow so quickly. You would want to leave it on the same time though and cover it.

10- are there tricks to not have your ears/neck/forehead dyed by the henna, lol?

Vaseline. You can also do a sugar scrub (sugar in a little oil like olive oil) to help remove it on your face. It doesnt last more than a couple days on the face usually.

Lila

"1- i read that "direct heat styling (flat iron or curling iron) will darken henna to a browner color". okay... but is that only within the first couple days? if i decide to curl it about 10 days after the dyeing, will it still alter the color then? what about blow drying?

No, it will do it regardless of how long after. Strand test afterwards, but if you're making your hair darker it shouldnt be a problem."

getting back to this. it's kinda funny, lol.

will it darken *every time* i curl it? or only the first time?

thing is, i'm a dancer, and i usually only take the effort of styling (curling) my hair just before big shows. i'd hate to have a surprise like my hair changing color, at a moment like that when i already have other things to stress about, lol. so darkening a bit once, sure why not, but i'm hoping it won't darken every time (don't want it to end up completely black... though i guess i'm aiming for so dark that black wouldn't make a huge huge difference...)

Carrie

One lady used henna to get her hair a light shade of red. Then she used a curling iron daily just on her bangs. The bangs darkened to a dark auburn. I don't think it will darken hennaed hair to black, but certainly will give it a darker, browner color.

Lila

Cool, thanks for all the answers!! :)

Lila

Ok, checking i have this all right:

i'm going to do the strand test with 1:1 henna/indigo mix; but i have more indigo i bought to add in in case i want it darker than the strands come out.

I'm naturally a dirty/ash blond, but back in january i dyed for the first time, to a really dark brunette. it has now much faded, to a medium-ish brown (and the blond kinda showing through...). I am aiming for a deep dark chocolate color with some dark red reflections in the sun
- natural color: something like this:  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UyOL4SbZ74A/TF7OwIHnkII/AAAAAAAAAC4/BGYRJxfBoO...
- probably look somethign like this at the moment:  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Lpt6bBfnoE4/Ti9ALCJQxGI/AAAAAAAACyc/GcxpadisVd...
- aiming for kinda like this: the color she has at the head more than on the length:  http://www.glamour.com/beauty/blogs/girls-in-the-beauty-department/1220-...

I have long hair that is quite fine, but i have a lot of it; so counting 500g of total dye powder (so 250g henna and 250g indigo, but i could make that 200-300g depending on the outcome of the strand testing). Does that sound about right, or should i start directly with more indigo?

Amla: i have some, but don't know if i should use it. i want some red in the outcome, but not a full-blown red head lol. in my other thread, Carrie suggested trying 5% amla instead of the usual 20-25%, to get that effect.
if i want to try this; do i have to add some acidity, or will the small amount of amla be enough acid? i have tea (lemon and peach :) that i was counting to use for acidity if necessary; i also have a lemon if necessary.

Recipe for Hendigo:

1- Mix the henna powder with the amla. add water or tea?? mix to a thick paste. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest -- how long? the paper says overnight but you guys often say just a couple hours... i got my henna from Mehandi.com, it's Ancient Sunrise.

2- when hair is ready, prepare the indigo. Mix the indigo powder with water to make a yogurt-thickness paste. Mix the henna and the indigo pastes together thoroughtly; then apply to hair directly (no resting time).

3- when finished, clean paste off at the edges (forehead, ears, etc). wrap head well with platic wrap, put a towel or something over it all to keep in the heat.
Kepp on for how long? again, here the actual instructions say 2 hours, but some people keep it overnight? what's the best time to have the most intense, deep color?

4- Rinse out (instructions say to shampoo; but you say to not shampoo for 48h after indigo... Could i use the henna shampoo bars, would that clean my hair but not fade the indigo?)

is all that correct? am i missing anything?

Carrie

5% amla is "enough" acid (you don't have to use any acid if you don't want to - but amla is good for retaining curl and you'd want more like 20-25% for that purpose, and acidity is good for covering stubborn gray). I would not use additional lemon juice with amla. Using tea or water with amla is fine, either way.

How long you let the paste rest depends on how acidic the liquid is, and how warm the liquid or the room is. With 5% amla, tea, and normal/cool temps, probably in the neighborhood of 6-8 hours would be okay. With 25% amla I would let it rest 12 hours.

Recommend a warm cap instead of a towel, which adds weight and might strain your neck.

For deep intense dark color, especially if covering gray, leave on 4-6 hours. You may be able to get your desired color in less time, like 2 hours, especially if not covering gray - this is why strand testing is recommended.

Shampoo bars could fade the indigo just like regular shampoo.

Carrie

To determine if your henna paste is ready, put a dab on your palm for 2 minutes, then wipe off. If you get a nice orange stain, it's ready. If not, let it sit another hour or two, then test again. Do not rely on a clock to tell you your paste is ready.

Lila

thanks for your answers Carrie :)

you guys are such an amazing source of knowledge!!

Lila

stupid question, but... how strong does the tea have to be? say, 1 bag per cup water? or more? (and how well infused?) is it a case of "the stronger the better"?

Carrie

I use 2 bags per cup and let it steep until room temperature. Chamomile tea is what I use.

Lila

ok, thanks! :)

Lila

I did it!! i just finished rinsing out my first hendigo :)

i ended up doing 200g henna with 400g indigo (and a touch of amla and ginger). i didn't think i would, but i had to use all of it!! (long hair...)

things i notice:

- it's HARD getting everything out. especially using just water (no shampoo or conditionner, both of which i always use). i'm off to bed, but think i'll rinse again tomorrow morning before work, to be sure...

- my hair feels kinda dry. is there anything i can put on it (and maybe leave on overnight) ?

- the smell isn't overpoweringly awful, but i'm not sure i love it. i had added some ginger, but i'm wondering if there's anything else i can do now?

ACWN

The dryness is probably from the residue. You can use conditioner, just hold off on shampoo until 48 hours after you first applied if you can. Also, if you can, do a mermaid soak. If you have a tub, fill it with enough warm water to fully submerge your head but so you can breathe comfortably. Swish your hair and soak it a while, it'll help.

Ginger will help the smell of henna, but indigo has a very odd smell that is hard to mask and you cant really add anything to it because its so picky. You can, however, use a very strong scented conditioner or add a little essential oil to your conditioner to help reduce the smell when you wash your hair.

Lila

ooooh, so i can condition it? i thought i could neither shampoo nor condition. yay!

can i put any essential oil i want, or are any too strong for the hair or whatnot? i think i only have Tangerine here at the mo... how much should i add? does something like 3-4 drops for a handful of conditionner, sound right?

ACWN

I honestly dont know, I've never used an EO in my conditioner.

Carrie

3-4 drops in a handful should be fine.

Your hair will feel less dry once you have shampooed a couple of times.

Lila

I did as suggested, and it did indeed help! :) thanks! :)

I'm wondering something. I wanted to try to get some red reflections, but not too much, so i added a bit of amla (i added less than half a teaspoon, to 200g of henna powder); and i have pretty much NO red in my hair color now. strong stuff, that amla... or is it because i added so much indigo? (200g henna - 400g indigo)

so i was thinking about redoing a pure henna to try and bring out the red. thing is, that'll darken my hair, right? and i have it pretty much as dark as i'd want it...

at home i have:

-amla

-cassia

-henna

-indigo

what if i shampooed it (to get some indigo to fade) then henna'ed? or what about a henna gloss?

what would you suggest?

Carrie

That tiny amount of amla probably didn't do anything much to darken your color, so it was likely the high proportion of indigo that gave a color with less red tones.

Agree with shampooing (a lot) in the first 24 hours ideally to remove some of the indigo. Apply dish soap, Prell, or clarifying shampoo, lather up, leave on 30 minutes, repeat a couple times. That might be enough for you to see more red. If not, then follow that with a henna gloss.

Lila

waow, that seems drastic, lol...
at this point (so without stripping someof the indigo), would the henna gloss itself not be enough to add the red tones? (my hair is really nice and dark now; not black, but really really dark brown :) - i'm guessing i'll have to make a pretty strong gloss to get any effect from it)

(i'm not sure i saw the info on how to make glosses, do you have a link with instructions?)

thanks! :)

Carrie

A gloss will show up more if you have lighter hair to start with, but will still show a little if you do it on dark hair, mostly in bright sunlight.

gloss FAQ here:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/21

Lila

but it won't darken the hair any more (or, not much), right?

question; i see some people use yogurt instead of conditionner. what would the the advantages of doing it one way or another?

also: if i'd like to do a henna gloss, and also an amla gloss (for the curls); how long do i have to wait betwenn henna-ing and amla-ing, to ensure the amla doesn't turn the henna in my hair brown? (would that even happen? or does it only do that during the dye release period?)

ACWN

Amla does not have a dye, it will not turn anything brown - that is what indigo does when used with henna. There is no benefit to turning it into a gloss that I know of.

Carrie

I've used about 25 gm of amla in water to add body. I didn't call it a gloss because it's not a dye but it's the same idea, you're diluting it a bit more than usual. I've also heard of people adding amla to their shampoo for the same purpose. No need to wait before or after using amla.

Not sure if it would make any difference ghenna lossing with yogurt vs conditioner. Conditioner might smell better. Yogurt might be a little more moisturizing? With henna I think the color would come out the same. I would not use yogurt with indigo, as I think it might weaken the dye more.

Lila

ok, will try it then :)
i understand it's better to let the henna dye-release Before adding it to the conditionner?
so like, 3 tablespoons of henna, let dye release (a couple hours in tea), then mix to about 1 cup conditionner. (does my hair have to be moist when i put it on? or dry?) let sit for a couple hours.
correct?
can i add ginger or a few drops essential oil to the conditionner (mine has a pretty neutral smell) ?

@ ACWN:
what i meant with the amla making brown, isn't dye from the amla, but the effect it has when mixed to henna (removing the red tone, and darkening a bit the color).
if i put them together in a gloss; or if i first do a henna gloss then apply amla to my hair; will it have that effect? it would be really counterproductive if yes, since i'm trying to add red tones, not remove them....

Carrie

That's what I do, let the henna paste release dye then add to conditioner. Befoire you put it in conditioner, test the paste on your palm to make sure it is staining. It's fine to add a few drops of essential oil or a tsp or so of ginger powder to a henna gloss.

Using amla after using henna will not change the color permanently. For me, using a large amount of amla toned down the color very slightly for a week or two. VERY slightly. Using a small amount of amla probably would not affect the color at all, is my guess.

Lila

ok, so i did it!
i did a pretty potent gloss LOL. i used 4 tablespoons of henna, let it dye release with tea, then added about 1 cup of conditionner, mixed, put it in and kept it in about 3hours.

i got red reflections alright ^^ i don't know if it's a visual illusion because of the orangey reflections, or if the gloss lightened my hair, but it definitely appears a tone lighter now. i think it's cos of the reflections.

the "darkness" i had before was just what i wanted. i don't know if it'll darken? i did it a couple days ago, it would've darkened by now if it was going to, no?

if not. should i do a light indigo gloss? i just want it a touch darker.
how do indigo glosses work? i just mix it directly and apply, no waiting time? or do i have to do a henna-indigo mix? what proportion would you recommend?

i'mloving that i can play at 'tweaking' to get my color perfect, without risking damaging it like chemical dye would!! :)

Lila

using cassia and/or amla would have no effect, right?
i'm trying to think of what would be just enough to darken my hair just a touch :)

Carrie

If you want it a touch browner, make a weak indigo gloss (1 tablespoon indigo per cup conditioner) use immediately, apply for maybe 10-15 minutes.

If you do not want it browner, but darker red, use henna again instead, or a mix of say 90 henna/10 indigo, applied for 1-3 hours. The longer you leave it on, the darker red tones you'll get.

Lila

so, the indigo -- do i do *just* indigo? or must i include some henna in there? if i do pure indigo, my hair won't turn blue? lol ^^ ((yes i know, strand test... but i don't have that much hair left on my brush LOL))
i read somewhere that indigo doesn't mix with conditionner...?

also. i'm wondering why the reflections are so orange? is it because i started from a blond base? or does that have nothing to do with it?

Carrie

If you use indigo by itself on white hair it could turn blue/green, yes. If you use indigo on hennaed hair it will make the hair brown.

Indigo mixes with conditioner just fine. Conditioner weakens the indigo but that is okay because if you wanted the dye to be strong, you'd be using paste instead of diluting the dye in a gloss. 

If you put henna on blond hair it does come out orange at first, unless you use a very strong henna and get maximum dye uptake, or you repeat the henna a time or two more until you build up more red/orange dye in the hair and it starts to look darker red.

Not sure what you mean by "reflections" but hennaed hair in bright sunshine will always sparkle bright orangey red, even if you have used henna so many times it's pretty dark red/auburn or even burgundy -it's just a characteristic sparkle that henna has.