APPLE CIDER VINEGAR vs. ORANGE JUICE vs. LEMON JUICE and Henna

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
worldtraveler
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR vs. ORANGE JUICE vs. LEMON JUICE and Henna

I am about to try the Twilight Henna for the first time.  I have never hennaed my hair, only used commercial dyes in the past. My hair is growing in a ashy brown and grey is popping out a lot lately, the rest of my hair is quite damaged, had it highlighted in the past, so it is pretty dry like straw and long (mid back).

I am a bit confused about what to mix the henna with.  For those of you whom have tried various liquids, such as apple cider vinegar, orange juice, lemon juice -- can you tell me what your experience or end result was ?  

Did you prefer one over another ?

Did the end result/color look different when you used various liquids in subsequent coloring ?

Did you have less irritation/sensitivity with a particular liquid ?

I am planning to do my initial henna application for at least 6 hours or longer (maybe sleep with it overnight).  
Can you leave henna on TOO long ?  Like if you left it on for 10-12 hours, would the color turn out way too dark or be bad in some way for leaving it on that long ?

How much liquid do you use to henna ?  Have any of you measured it, to give us some type of idea - like for a 100g henna bag how much ACV/orange/lemon juice did you mix it with ?

Do you have any additional advice or tips on this - I feel a bit anxious about doing this, worried how it will come out. 

Just to review what I know (add to this or correct if I am wrong):

You mix the henna with liquid (such as those listed above) to the consistency of mashed potatoes, I am not sure of the exact quantity of liquid.  Then you let it sit in the bowl for at least 12 hours (plastic wrap over it).  

Can you let the mixture sit TOO long or TOO little (and it won't be effective)?

After the 12 hours stir it and check how the consistency is, you can add more liquid to make it more like yogurt.

Then you smear it all over your head thickly (I have long hair so I guess you pile that on top at the end) and wrap your head several times around in plastic wrap.  Then you should wait a minimum of 4 hours, preferably 6 hours or longer, then you rinse it in a bathtub filled with water, using conditioner to get it out of your hair, shampoo and condition after rinsed out.

Wait 3 days after to see the actual color.  Is that it ?

Then when the roots grow out, you mix a smaller quantity and just put it on the roots, not all over as the color will darken all over if you do that.  I never read anywhere - when you do JUST ROOTS do you still wrap your head in plastic, since if you have long hair, how would you do that (your hair would be hanging out of the plastic wrap on the bottom ?)

If I got any of that incorrect, or if you can add anything to that, please do.  I don't want to screw this up.

Thank you for all of your advice/experiences.

Carrie
Re: APPLE CIDER VINEGAR vs. ORANGE JUICE vs. LEMON JUICE and ...

I prefer less acidic liquid like chamomile tea because the color stays more red/auburn instead of rusty brown like I get with lemon juice. The color difference is not dramatic though.

If you use a less acidic liquid like tea, the dye release time is not as long as 12 hours. See details here: 

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4146

Do not rely on the clock to tell you when you have dye release. Test some on the palm of your hand and wipe it off after a couple minutes to see if you get a good orange stain. If not, it is not ready yet.

For 100 gm of powder I use about 2 cups of tea or a bit less. I would NEVER measure the liquid and add it all at once though, add it slowly so you can see how much you need. Humidity and characteristics of the henna powder itself will affect how much liquid you need so just add it slowly and stir as you go. That way you will not add too much by accident.

You won't get a weird color from leaving it on too long, but it might bug your scalp to be wet for a very long time. Longer applications give deeper darker color. Do a strand test so you will know how long to leave it on. There is no earthly reason to leave it on 10 or 12 hours. Anything over 6 or 8 is a waste of time, IMO, although some people prefer to sleep in it so for convenience sake they may stay in bed for 8-9 hours and then rinse.

You may find you only need 2 hours for your desired color. Test it to find out.

Carrie

It is fine to leave your long hair hanging out of the plastic wrap when you do roots, that's how I did it.

worldtraveler

Thank you Carrie for you reply.  I am very interested by your comment to actually try the chamomile tea instead of the 3 things I mentioned in my original post (as I too would rather have an auburn color then a rusty brown).  Let me ask you when you make your tea, how many tea bags/water ratio do you use ?  Do you steep it for a long time ?  Do you cool the tea to room temperature/or refrigerate and make it cold ?

I will try that tea with Henna then - as soon as I can find out those answers (hopefully soon !!).

I have to say I am really confused about this dye release topic.  I don't know if I will know when the dye is actually released.  For this tea how long would you say (roughly) ?  So when this happens (the dye release) is that exactly when you are supposed to put it on your head ?  Does the dye 'die' after so much time, like not work as well if you wait longer than the time when dye release happens ?  I am really confused about this subject - how much time do you have after the dye is released to put the henna on your hair ?

You mentioned it is o.k. to leave your long hair out of the plastic when doing the roots, thanks for the tip.... Yet when you initially for the first time do the Henna, do you keep your hair long on your back and wrap it around like that, or do you put all the hennaed hair on top of your head and wrap it like a turban ?  I read one person who said it made their head very heavy putting it all on top - I have no idea about this, so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Carrie

I use 2 bags per cup and let the bags stay in the water until it is room temperature. I do not chill it in the fridge.

With tea your dye release may happen around 1 to 4 hours; it happens faster on a warm day than a cool day. You will know it's ready by testing it on your palm. When you see a nice orange stain after wiping off the paste in a couple minutes, it's ready. It will still be strong for use for a good 12 hours after that, and will still be giving some stain even the next day, though it will gradually weaken once it has reached its peak. If you want to preserve the dyeing capacity as much as possible, and you are not ready to use it when the paste is releasing dye, then put it in the fridge to prolong its lifespan. more about dye release here:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/39

The first time you do henna you will probably be doing your whole head. You want to contain all the hair together so yes, you would wrap or pile it up on your head in whatever way works for you. I started on the top of my head and when I have put paste on one strand, I coil it up on top of my head like a cinnamon roll. The next pasted strand gets wrapped around that, and so on, until I have a giant conehead of henna. Then I put a disposable shower cap or plastic grocery bag over it, and a warm cap or scarf/turban. Everyone has their own way. There are a ton of "how to apply henna" videos on youtube, you'll see how people do it. It is heavy, and if  it bothers your neck, then put an old towel on your pillow and lie down while it's on.

worldtraveler

Just wondering regarding TEA vs. the Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)

I read that using tea will not make the henna last as long as the more acidic liquid (ACV or lemon), so its more of a semi-permanent stain, that it will wear off faster than the acidic liquid, have you found that to be true ?

Is there a way to use 1/2 tea and 1/2 lemon.....or 1/2 tea and 1/2 ACV ?  

I want a more permanent color (for as long as possible) since this is not only time consuming to do but costly, so I want it to last as long as possible.

I also have a question regarding JUST HENNA

vs.

Henna and Amla -- I see a video here on youtube that uses a mixture of the two, and the end result is quite nice, but I have no idea about any of this as I haven't even done straight henna yet (I am worried about having bright orange hair in the end)...but I do not like an ashy result, I like warm (auburn, strawberry blonde....I do Not like mahogany, plum)....

Here is the video (it shows them using both, as well as this 'cone' technique....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZyn0c8eHU

Any thoughts on the cone technique vs. straight on (like in the ebook on Mehandi.com), as I have longer hair, mid back...thanks

ACWN

I can tell you with 100% certainty that tea is as permanent as any other acidic liquid. The only time I ever had issues with fading was when I was using a particular type of shampoo on my chemically damaged hair, but chemically damaged hair can sometimes have issues with holding onto henna due to its overly porous state.

When mixed and applied properly, henna is 100% permanent. When properly mixed and applied, fading is a fairly rare occurance unless your hair is severely chemically damaged (and has no real keratin left for the henna to bind to), it was mixed with boiling water or you happen across a shampoo that happens to strip henna from your hair for whatever reason (the type of shampoo (varies) or something to do with your hair itself).

Mixing henna with lemon juice then amla isnt entirely advised here. Amla itself is almost as acidic as lemon juice so it can be extremely drying for some hair types, so its best to do one or the other or a very mildly acidic liquid. The only real benefit to adding amla is if you have curls or a wave you want to keep or plan to do a hennigo and want to reduce the red tones of henna.

I've already commented on your other thread about that video.

Jen

Boiling your liquid, tea or otherwise is what causes risk of serious fading. Even still you should never count on it fading!

I use apple juice as my liquid and it is a nice halfway point between lemon/vinegar and tea.

worldtraveler

Are you saying that if you use tea bags, you should not 'steep them' in boiling water, which you then cool to room temperature ?

You mean, you should just put tea bags in room temperture water and use it that way ?  I don't think the tea will release anything in room temperature/cold water ???  I am thoroughly confused about this.

I don't want to have any fading no matter what method I use, so that is why I need to figure this out quick as my Henna just showed up and I want to do it in the next few days here.

I don't want a rusty brown, but more of an auburn color, yet I am not sure what I will get in the end, as my hair is quite damaged from having it ombrayed at one point last year (basically bleaching it so the ends are lighter than the top), but it is grown out now a lot.  I will show you the photos of what it looks like, then you can advise me on what you suggest.  

I see on youtube tons of videos on how people make their henna paste - but they all use lemon juice, I think one used ACV, and no one used tea -- so I am wondering why that is, and what is the best way ?????

Do you add essential oil to your henna - if so how much and what type ? Is this to make your hair softer, what is the purpose of essential oils to your henna mix ?

Here are a few photos of my hair currently:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100599585109639458755/February232012?authus...

ACWN

Do not use the tea while its still boiling/hot is what Jen means. Make the tea as normal but let it cool to room temp or chill it before you use it and be sure to brew it very strong/dark. Boiling liquid is a typical cause of fading. The only time I had issues with fading was when my hair was chemically damaged. My hair no longer is as I cut the last of the damaged stuff off not too long ago, but I still use a tea based mix and it hasnt budged.

Lemon juice is just the norm liquid, but I wouldnt really recommend following youtube vids any way as they may or may not be correct in method. Follow the instructions given with your henna, just keep in mind the dye release time difference if you use another liquid besides lemon juice.

If your hair is two toned, I would recommend coloring it back to your natural color one last time if you can. This makes things more even and will reduce color differences.

Do not uses oils in your henna, EOs may not inhibit dye uptake but can give you a headache. Most people use them for smell.

worldtraveler

O.K. - I figured as much (about having the tea cool off), I read chamomile tea in one of the previous posts, would you say that is the best choice or a different type ?  I do believe my hair is damaged (if you look at my photos I posted on this thread) and if I cut it all off I will be bald !!  My hair is long, dry and stripped (due to that bleach thing I did last summer which I regret highly now).  I was not planning to color my hair one more time though - because I don't know if that would make a difference.  I know normal hair color does fade (relatively quick, especially on hair that has been highlighted) so, even if I did an over the counter color and then hennaed over that, I don't know if that would be a good idea or not ?  Wouldn't you think that if your hair has varying shades currently, that once you henna your hair, it will look more 'real' like natural hair that has lighter and darker areas, like how natural highlights happen ?  So even if my hair is darker on top, and lighter on the ends (henna) it should still look o.k., don't you think ?   I guess I just figured it would look more natural versus all one shade all over ?  I don't know as I haven't done the henna yet.

I will not use the Essential oil as you mentioned, I am glad I checked, as I keep seeing that appear in the youtube videos people have put up there, seems like everyone throws that in.

I am curious to anyone else out there who has done henna on more than one occasion....Were your results different (better/worse) depending on what you mixed your henna with, and if so, what has been your best 'recipe' ???

Thanks

ACWN

Any tea will do. I have used chamomile, mango passionfruit and recently have started mixing my henna with Arizona brand tea. Takes about 2 hours to dye release with Yemen Light (dont just assume, always test on your palm) and I found it was plenty acidic. Plus the sugar tends to help the henna keep from drying out in places where the plastic may not entirely cover (back of neck, temples).

You shouldnt have an issue of the chemical dye fading drastically under the henna. And if your hair is drastically two toned (bleach blonde and brunette for example) the color difference will be just as drastic with the henna. Henna turns bright orange on bleach blonde hair (unless you use a high dye content henna for a longer time) and tends to keep those orange tones, even with repeated applications.

If you dont want orange, I would very much recommend dyeing your hair so its all one even tone. You can always get a kit that has lowlights and highlights "built into" the mix. Never fear though, henna is never "flat" toned. Even if your hair is a single color, henna tends to make its own highlights since it reflects lots of red light.

Most everyone here has done henna on more than one occassion. Its best if you keep your recipe extremely simple the first few times until you're comfortable with the whole thing, then you can start tweaking it as you like.

worldtraveler

Hi, You mentioned two hours for dye release with Yemen light.... Actually I have purchased the Rajastthani Twilight, would that be also o.k. then to mix with the tea, and are you familiar if that takes longer than the one you mentioned ?  I was expecting something like 12 hours (a lot different than the two hours you mentioned for the Yemen Light).

I am starting to think I will do as you mentioned then and color my hair with over the counter stuff Before I henna.  Now the question is, HOW SOON AFTER I use the chemical over the counter stuff, can I henna my hair ?  Do I need to wait several months again until it grows out, or soon thereafter ?  
Also, when I color my hair now, would you pick a shade you actually like (like something for me chesnut/copperish looking) or would you go with the base color growing in (which is an ugly ashy blah brown with grey growing in) I am not sure what to do now, what color I need/should go with before I henna ??  

I will also try to do the recipe simple - so just 1 cup water per two tea bags (steep a long time) per 100 g. henna, and mix - that's it right ?  Or did I forget something ?  Would you do that tea water vs. tea water and orange/lemon juice (like 50/50) ?

Should I go with something like this first - over the counter color:  Ginger Twist 6.4 with highlights and color (see link)

(http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-couleur-experte-express-easy-2in-1-color...) and then follow with the henna ?  

***I just tried clicking on the link I posted and it does not pull up straight to the page, but on that site which does open, type in that box: ginger twist 6.4  and you can see it (if you click on the photo it will get bigger)

The biggest question is how long to wait after doing the color before I can do the henna ? I don't want to damage my hair to the point of no return with too much too soon - totally not sure about this ???

I don't want my hair to become way too dark with all of these things, as I can't stand burgundy, and want more gingery, copper type red, or auburn looking....

Thanks for your help.  

ACWN

You can mix any henna with tea. I mentioned it specifically because that is the henna I personally use. 12 hours is only for heavily acidic mixes like lemon juice. Tea is drastically less acidic and takes less time, between 1 - 4 hours, though it can take longer if you use something like black tea (which can give you the jitters as it has caffeine which can be absorbed through the scalp). I dont recall any one mentioning if Twilight takes longer or shorter to dye release - some hennas are faster, some are slower. The only way you can know is by testing for dye release on your palm. Never assume its ready.

You can henna your hair the same day if you want or you can wait a day or two to give your hair a chance to recoop. As I said, go with your NATURAL color that is coming in as closely as possible, this will reduce color differences. If you pick something you like, you'll have to dye your roots every time with that same color. Keep in mind that you will be covering it very shortly with henna so you need not think about the fact that you dislike the color. I HATE my now natural color with a vengance, but love the results of henna over it so it all balances out for me. I think you'll feel the same way.

I used to need about 3 cups of tea for 200g of henna, but that can vary depending on your location. Make several cups and you can always freeze what you dont use for next time. I would do at least 3 packets per cup water, steep till room temp (or just chill it with a frozen water bottle if you're not patient like I am, lol).

Not sure what you mean by "what do you do with that tea water vs tea water and lemon juice"...

I mix my henna until its a lumpy paste, press plastic wrap to the surface (you must do this), let it dye release and then use more tea to mix it smooth. Its easier to do it that way, I think. I tried mixing it smooth right off once and about killed my hand.

Be sure to strand test. I would say about 3 - 3.5 hours will give you a color you'll like, but you need to strand test if you havent yet - thats the only way you'll know for sure. Remember that it will darken over a period of a week so do not judge it by the color you get right off.

Mix it all up and set aside only what you need for the strand test (about a half tablespoon or so), then put the rest in a ziplock, mush it flat and throw it in the fridge or freezer. Fridge if you're going to hold off a few hours to a day or two, fridge if you plan on waiting for the final oxidation results at the end of the week. If you freeze, thaw in the fridge, at room temp (out of direct sunlight) or in baby bath warm water. DO NOT MICROWAVE IT.

Kriss

I will second that using cooled tea does not make henna fade. I hennaed my hair years ago and have just done the roots since and it is just as shiney and as colorful as it was at the beginning.
The first time I hennaed I used straight lemon juice. The second time I used tea. I can't really say which was better or the difference because the first time I did not like the color. I used a weaker henna, PP, so I assume that was the reason. Though, it was a little on the rusty side.
The second time I used a stronger henna, Celebration, with tea and l liked the color and just have been doing my roots ever since. I just ran out of Celebration and just ordered some Twilight to continue on my roots. I will probably be getting tea again to mix the Twilight up.

worldtraveler

Thanks Kriss for your observation on that - I ordered the Twilight too, so hopefully now it will have as great a result as you have had with Celebration.

Wow, well there seems to be a good consensus on the tea...

I will definitely do it with tea then (not lemon juice).  What type of tea would you recommend ?  I know someone mentioned Chamomile, then on some other posts I read some people talking about 'red zinger ?' tea... then I have heard green tea, so I am not sure which teas are the most acidic ?  Do you know ?  Would LemonBalm tea be good ?  I have so many types of tea, I have no idea.  Does anyone mix several varieties, or just stick with one type ?  I do remember to use 3 tea bags per one cup of water...

Now the question is when you mix your henna, for instance I ordered 500g. of Twilight.  It came in 100g. bags - do you mix each 100g. bag separately (in its own bowl) and add liquid for just that 100g....OR do you combine 400 or 500g. and then just add the liquid (as a combined amount)???

I am still not exactly sure on the quantity I should mix - if anyone has seen my hair, its about mid-back (on my photos).  So if you can give me an idea of how much henna, how much water/tea bags that would be great....and any recommendation on types of tea ? (like 4 bags = 400g. henna to 4 cups of water that has 12 tea bags in it)???  Is that ratio right ?

After you steep the tea (can you do it a really LONG time, like overnight ?  

Or would you only keep the tea bags in the hot water for a shorter period of time ?  

Then once the tea is lukewarm/cold - then you mix small amounts of that into the henna, correct ?  Cover with clear wrap and wait.

Then within roughly ? 4 hours or so ?  the dye release should happen (which you need to check for) and then you can put the henna on - correct ?

I arranged this coming Thursday (4/19) at local beauty academy/training school - a guy who works there said he would help me put on the henna, since I need a hand - so I have an appointment with him at 11:00 AM on Thursday.....so the big dilemma here also is, when do I actually mix my henna, so it can be ready for me to bring in to the hair academy ?

I should also have wet just washed hair (no conditioner, just clarifying shampoo) right before putting on henna, correct ?  I can do it at the salon then I guess...

Well I know there are a lot of questions here, hope you can help me - the countdown is on...

Thanks for all of you with your help...

Jen

Yes, I would steep the tea before bed, and mix the henna when you get up. The timing should work out just fine!

I don't use tea, so hopefully someone else can fill you in on what tea to use and how strong to make it.

I don't measure my liquids because how much liquid the henna will take up varies so much depending on the batch and weather. I would say prepare at least 1 cup per packet of henna. If its not enough you can always top it off with juice or water to get the texture right.

There's no need to mix the packets separately. Put as many as you think you need in one bowl. They are packaged that way so that someone who doesn't need a whole lot of henna for each application doesn't have to have a lot of leftover powder in an unsealed packet where it won't keep as long.

Carrie

I use chamomile tea, 2 bags per cup, steeped until it cools off to room temp. If I don't have enough tea, I use water for the rest. After you mix the tea with henna powder,  let it sit around 4 hours.  Test it on your palm before using it to make sure it is staining.

More on dye release times for different liquids in this FAQ:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/4146

I never measure the liquid either. Just add it slowly so you don't add too much and end up with henna soup.

Any of the teas you mention will be fine. Mixing them is fine. Adding more water at the end is fine. Letting the steep overnight is fine (it won't get "too strong" - that is not a problem here).

For your length of hair I'd guess you want to prepare 300 to 400 gm of henna - 400 if your hair is thick or wavy. Applying to damp, towel dried hair will make it go farther and many of us find it easier to apply to damp hair.

If the guy applying it for you has not done this before, show him some photos or videos of what the application process looks like - it goes on thick like cake frosting, not soupy like the hair dyes he is used to. It cannot be "combed through" because that would pull your hair out! It's like having mud in your hair. Creamy fluffy mud, but still.

free ebook with photos here:  http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

Kriss

I believe I just used pomagranate tea and I believe it had green tea in it.. It smelled good but in the end my head still smelled a bit grassy :o).  I didn't use chamomile because I have a ragweed allergy and chamomile is in the ragweed family. I didn't want to chance having a ragweed on my head for hours.

I originally just mixed my 500g batch all at once in one bowl. Anything you don't use you can just stick in the freezer for later use and that way you don't have to go through the pain of mixing and dye release over and over again. You will probably have some left over for your roots later. My hair is thick and it was about to my waist when I originally did it and I had some left over.

How nice you have someone at a beauty school help you. It is so nice when you have help. 

enid_zelda

I am fairly new to this too, and one thing I have learned, don't be too worried!  I used to get all upset about measuring and timing and have since learned it's not that big a deal.  I even did the "mix with boiling coffee" because that's what the junk store henna said to do!  And still, no disasters.  There are LOTS of different ways to use henna, everyone has a different way they do it, it seems.  Women have used henna for millenia without measuring cups.  This string is interesting for me because I use diluted lemon juice and dye release 12 hrs, but now I know I should be testing it on my hand AND, I don't have to use the lemon juice anymore!  Lemon juice seems to irritate my scalp.  The first time I used henna I put ginger powder in it and man, bad idea!  Burn!  It is frightening the first time, because you know you can't use chemical dye over it, after a couple trials, and reading lots on this great forum I discovered that I LOVE henna.  I love the dimension the color has and it's fun for me to see the little tweaks I can make here and there.  One dumb tip from me is that I never use plastic wrap, it makes my head sweat too much, and then the henna runs.  I use a plastic shopping bag tied in front and then a knit cap over top.  Just my two cents.  Good luck!  =D

worldtraveler

Thank you to all of you for all of the extremely helpful advice, it makes things so much easier knowing things ahead of time.  I think its so helpful to many others out there too who read these forums for information, so thanks to all of you who spend the time to reply, I read all of your great advice - and will incorporate all of your tips....

Yes, Enid, I think that makes me fear less - knowing that women have used henna for thousands of years and were plain out experimenting - not knowing how much of this and that, but just did it !  I guess I need to not worry so much, and just go for it, and hope for the best!

I haven't read that tip before - not to use plastic wrap but a plastic shopping bag tied in front with a knit cap - that's not dumb !  I appreciate your tips, all of you whom have helped provide advice on this, since your experiences help the rest of us out there, and hopefully we can pay it forward as well....

Just wondering about that plastic shopping bag/knit cap idea - does the bag have enough of a 'seal' to keep it warm enough, I thought it was supposed to 'heat' up with that wrap ?  I have no idea - the end result is the same either way though, right   With plastic wrap or with shopping bag/hat ?

I think I will need to write a detailed schedule of what to do on what day at what time, so I can keep this all organized.

Alsi

I've only ever used lemon juice, as I have been told that this produces the most vibrant color. Orange juice would be worth a try; the color would be more subtle. Apple cider vinegar would stink, I would imagine. Lemon juice was never irritating; I used a mixture of about 50% lemon juice and 50% tap water, give or take. You could use distilled water instead of tap water. 

Honestly, I always get bored and want to get the henna off as quickly as possible. I usually last around two hours, maybe more if I've found a really good movie to distract me. 

No, you can't leave henna on too long. I would only be worried if it were to dry out or something; then it would be hard to scrub out from your scalp. You need to be patient and carefully work the henna out, or you can pull some hair out along with it. Length of time depends on the specific henna. There is a "golden period" of time that, once the henna has been activated with liquid, that it will release the most dye into whatever it comes into contact to. Usually, that's about one and a half to six hours. If you mix the henna in a food container and then seal it, leave a white plastic utensil (fork, spoon, knife, spork, whatever) in there with it. When you can see that the fork is beginning to turn red where it has contacted the henna (I always leave it overnight), then you will know the the red color is activated and ready to use. Beyond that six or so hours, the henna will not release any more dye and you will be wasting time with it sitting on your head. I wouldn't recommed leaving it on overnight, unless you are a really heavy sleeper and have your bedding completely covered.

Specifically, I am not sure how much liquid to henna the ratio is. I just add a little lemon juice and water at a time and mix, until it looks just right. Too liquidy, and it will spill out from the plastic cap or shower cap you've made. It gets kind of irritating after awhile. 

So: mix your henna with your liquid of choice, let sit overnight, smear onto your head. I always start with my part and the crown of my head and work outward. Then pile my hair on top of my head and cover the roots. Massage and work the paste into your head. Wrap with plastic wrap (though I would recommend a shower cap over that, and maybe wrap a towel over that. the more warmth you can keep in there, the better). The color is always evident to me immediately, though I have light hair naturally. It looked carroty orange to me at first. Very vibrant for the first six or so hours. Then it fades for the next few days to a milder (though rich) red. Like any dye, it will fade more over time as your hair grows out and when you wash or oil your hair. 

If you just wanted to do your roots, 50 grams of henna would be MORE than enough. You could even try as little as 25 grams. Yes, wrap your head in plastic wrap and wait as many hours as you did the first time, if you were happy with the color. And yes, pile your hair on your head. Since you are getting your roots, that includes the underside of your hair too. You can also do a full-head application, though the more you do that, the darker the color will get; it actually starts to look brunette with red undertones, if you do it enough. 

Just relax and have fun :) It's for beauty! And it is very difficult to mess up with henna, it really is. Even if you do make a mistake, your hair won't be damaged or miscolored or anything; it is nothing like a dye. Oh, a little tidbit for you: henna can get messy. Put towels or newspaper down on the floor when you're ready to apply. If you spill any, wipe it up immediately; it will stain. Make sure to use gloves, simply as a stain preventer. I don't recommend the bathtub rinse; you will wind up having to clean the entire bathtub to make sure nothing stains. Use a sink rinse or the shower. It's easer. Best of luck to you!

worldtraveler

Thank you for the tips - its always great to learn new things on how others have done it.  I don't want to end up cleaning the whole bathtub either - so will do the shower !!  I just hope I can get this color right.  Thank you for your advice !

Carrie

totally recommend the bathtub soak, it shortens the time so much and makes it easier on your hair so you don't lose as much in the rinsing. I do the soak for 5 minutes, then immediately drain the water and start showering and conditioning to finish the rinse-out. The shower water cleans up the tub for me so there is no extra cleanup. I never have to scrub the tub after henna this way- but when I used to simply shower out the henna without a pre-soak, the force of the shower would splash henna paste all over the walls of the enclosure and THEN I would have to scrub!

worldtraveler

Thanks Carrie, that seems to make sense, so if I got it right - just soak your head full of henna in a warm bathtub of water, and rinse using conditioner to get as much out as possible - then shower the rest out (shampoo and conditioner), right ?  I will try it this way - because I could see it splatter everywhere like you mentioned !!!

Carrie

That's right, just lie down in the water and swish your hair around underwater, gently. If you want, you can then apply a big handful of conditioner and rinse that out in the same bathwater - the conditioner further loosens the paste and henna residue.  The water will be very dark green/brown, but don't worry about it staining your skin or whatnot - it won't stain and henna is good for skin in any case. Then apply more conditioner and shower out the rest. I always shampoo once I feel all the paste is out, and finish with one final conditioner rinse. Takes about 15 minutes all told, soaking and showering.

I keep an empty plastic quart container in the shower for pouring water on the tub enclosure walls in case any henna splashes there - it's easy to rinse off if you do it right away after you finish rinsing out the henna. Never had to scrub as long as I rinse henna off when it's fresh.