Root Touch Up

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Robbie
Root Touch Up

Hi everyone!

I was reading an old thread about root touch up because the next time I henna, it probably should be just a touch up. I don't want my color getting too dark (have only henna-ed twice). Well, I found that nothing seemed to be resolved as to how best to do it....not really. It surprised me, since I am sure, doesn't EVERYONE do root touch ups? The thread is at:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/1344

I am using Twilight and have about 20% grey (if that matters..lol)

ACWN
Re: Root Touch Up

There is no "best" way to do it, its whatever works well for you. We can suggest ways to try it, but beyond that.. theres not much else.

Carrie

Some do roots, Some do their whole head each time if they don't mind getting darker.

The link you posted is the best one I've got saved since the old forum is down, unfortunately.

There is no universal agreement about the best way to do ANYTHING, is there?  :-))

so you have choices!  You can do it with a tint brush and fine partings (that's what I do). You can do it with a catsup bottle or tint bottle. You can do it with a carrot bag. You can do it with a root shooter (like a big syringe). You can braid your hair in tiny braids all over your head and smoosh the paste in with your fingers. You can try a new way each time and figure out what way YOU like best, because there is no best way.

Robbie

Thanks Carrie for the various ways to choose from.

It helps learning the various methods. Anyone else what to share what works for them? lol

Of course, my concern is getting too much henna on the previously dyed hair.

kplinds

I usually start by oiling my ends to protect them from the henna. Then, I put the henna mix in a ziplock bag and snip a little hole in the corner to use as a makeshift applicator.

I apply the henna by parting my hair and appllying the henna in a thick line down the center of the part, then spreading the henna across the hair about an inch on either side with a gloved finger.  Then I move over about one inch and make another part (folding hennaed roots over to the other side), apply more henna, spread it, etc.  I've tried other ways, but I found that for me it's best to be very systematic about the application (in closely spaced overlapping "stripes"  in order not to miss any spots - and this is increasingly important as my roots get grayer with age!  I do everything else the same as a whole-head application.

After Ive done my whole scalp, I give myself a little scalp massage in order to further distribute the henna and minimize the chances that a gray hair has escaped being covered.