Dreadlocks & Henna

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
rosielove
Dreadlocks & Henna

Hi =].

I was wondering if anyone could suggest exactly which Henna I should purchase if I'm looking to get a nice noticable red (nothing too orangy/brassy or kinda dark). I'm not exactly sure how to know so there is a couple of links below to a few photos of my hair so you can see my existing natural colour/length etc. Also, I have dreadslocks so any tips regarding that would be awesome too, and any ideas as to how much henna I may need.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzn4qeSfmt1qlfceoo1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxs1cmV6KS1qlfceoo1_500.jpg

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxhjaxwnmG1qlfceoo1_500.jpg

I think my hair is slightlyyy lighter than it appears in photos (I would say I have light to mediu brown), but hopefully you can get at least an idea out of those images.

Thank you <333.

ACWN
Re: Dreadlocks & Henna

Well, most of the hennas mehandi.com sells now are pretty finely sifted (with the exception of Sudina). Henna for African hair is one of the more finer sifted hennas and was originally bought by Lady C because of it - the finer the sift, the easier it is to apply and rinse from African American hair, and dreads.

If you can harvest some hair for a strand test, I would recommend that one and something lower like Yemen Light. Apply for 2 - 3 hours, but no more. Yemen Light is one of the weaker hennas mehandi.com sells and even that gives me a fairly darker auburn on my now natural color... on yours, I'm thinking it will give you a medium to dark auburn and the HAA will give you a medium-dark to possibly cherry cola color (maybe not if your color is lighter than what I'm seeing right now on my screen). Only real way to know for sure what you'll get is strand testing, unless you're brave and willing to go with what you get. We can give you a best guess, but everyone's hair is different and results vary.

As far as how much you'll ultimately want to get... well, they say 500g will dye waist length hair, but thats hair that isnt in dreads so you may want to consider doubling it. You would probably want to mix it slightly thinner than normal (which is a stirred yogurt consistancy) and then just apply by globbing it on and mushing it into your dreads. Then bind up, cover with plastic and a beanie and let sit.

To rinse out, definitely a mermaid soak - fill your tub, sink or a 5 gal. bucket with slightly warm water (enough to cover all of your head but let you breathe comfortably) and soak your hair. Swish it around to help break up the henna. Drain and repeat several times then wash your hair as you normally do.

rosielove

Thank you so much for such a helpful response! ^_^. I can't really harvest hair because most of it is all in dreads, but I thought I might just test one dreadlock... I don't mind if one of them ends up funky hehe!

rosielove

Oh! I also meant to ask, when you say wash as normal - does that mean I can shampoo straight after?

Jen

With a henna only mix, yes. If you ever decide to add indigo to your routine for a darker color than I'd suggest you try and wait a day before shampoo. Indigo is picky. Go right a head with just henna though. Shampoo really helps get the paste out!

rosielove

Okay awesome, thanks! So, the HAA is 'more likely' (I know it's hard to say anything definite) to give me a darker red than the Yemen Light? Because, I think I would prefer a 'brighter' than 'darker' and would if the Yemen Light is more likely to do that than that's cool, but only aslong as it will be alright to wash from dreads. I don't mind if it's a bit harder than the HAA, just aslong as I will be able to get it out lol! =].

ACWN

Just mix it a little thinner and mermaid soak, you'll be fine. I have no issues washing YL from my hair, but then again its not in dreads! Lol

YL for 2 - 2.5 hours will give you a brighter red that should oxidize down to a nice auburn shade on you, just dont freak out cause it will be very orange the first 48 hours and can take up to a week to oxidize. It will have a lot of copper highlights in the sun on your lighter strands, it'll all look pretty natural cause the dye is translucent. Whats darker on your hair will come out darker, whats lighter will come out lighter. Your natural color is already very warm any way, so I think it will look very good on you!

You can also start off with a gloss, which is henna diluted in cheap conditioner. This will give you some color, but wont go too dark on you. And it will be fairly easy to rinse out. I just recommend thickening the conditioner with corn starch before mixing the henna in cause it tends to melt and drip.

A weak gloss will be 1 tablespoon per cup conditioner, a medium gloss will be 2 tablespoons and a strong gloss will be 3 tablespoons. These will give you a hint of color, a bit more obvious color and a fairly obvious color change.

You'll mix the henna, let it dye release, then mix it into however much conditioner it takes to saturate your hair. So if you do a weak gloss and it takes, say, 4 cups of conditioner, you'll want 4 tablespoons. 8 for a medium and 12 for a strong gloss.

And then from there you can build up the color as you like until you're at a full strength application, if thats what you want to do.

rosielove

Awesome awesome advice, thank you! Here's a slightly unrelated question, do you think it would look super weird if I didn't also dye my eyebrows... Is that something I should do? Also, due to a sensitive scalp I will be using apple juice instead of lemon, will this change the colour at all?

ACWN

No, the color has more to do with the dye content and the starting color of your hair. Less acidic mixes tend to start our more orange and dont go quiet as brown when they oxidize while stronger acidic mixes start out less orange and tend to go more brown/rusty after oxidation. But the end result is roughly the same after about a week.

You can do your eyebrows if you want, but its at your own risk. Henna is not an approved hair dye and is not deemed safe to apply near the eyes, so we cant give you much advice about it. People do do it, and I've done it myself in the past... but your brows shed and grow in very quickly that its really not entirely worth the orange stain you'll have on your skin for two days.

Carrie

Henna is approved by the FDA for use as a hair dye, but not for skin use (and not as eyebrow dye).

Quoting from the FDA page: www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/productinformation/ucm1...

"Henna, a coloring made from a plant, is approved only for use as a hair dye, not for direct application to the skin, as in the body-decorating process known as mehndi."

ACWN

Oh, oops. I knew it wasnt approved for something, dont know why I thought it wasnt an approved hair dye. My bad!

rosielove

Haha, okay - will NOT be doing my brows! Thanks again everyone, such great help. I've ordered my Henna and now just have to wait for the mail. I'll post some pictures once it's all done!

rosielove

Hi there again everyone!

So I finally got my henna in the mail (Yemen Light). I wanted to test one dread first so I mixed a small amount with apple juice (I have a sensitive scalp) and left it overnight. In the morning I tested the dye release and after a minute on my palm there was an orange stain (so it was ready). I put it on one dread and wrapped it up on plastic for just over 2 hours after previous discussions/recommendations on this thread. Washed it out (suprisingly easy haha!). So it was super bright orange at first, which I expected. It has now been around 30 hours since then and the colour is still pretty orange and not really red like at all. Is it too hard to tell, or do you think that that is simply the result of my hair with henna? Can the colour relaly change that much?

Thanks again ^_^.

Jen

It might get darker yet. I'd try to wait a bit longer before you do anything to correct it. If after a few more days its still orange, another application of the same will fix you right up, then in the future use a higher dye content henna like henna for African hair (easiest to rinse from locks) or Twilight, and you should be able to get there in one application.

ACWN

Give it at least a full 72 hours (three days) before you really judge it. Mine is usually very orange the first 48 hours and then begins to really darken down on day three. Lesser acidic mixes will start out very orange too, so thats something else to keep in mind.

Now, if after 72 - 96 hours its still too orange.. then I would recommend strand testing maybe a three hour and a four hour application time - if you're willing to sacrifice another dread or two. A four application will give you a darker color than a 2 hour application will and a three hour should split the difference pretty well for you. Remember that henna builds up in layers so two back to back 2 hour applications will be darker than a single 4 hour application and may be too dark for you.

It may just be a case of needing more time rather than a stronger henna. I really dont think you need a stronger one because you really dont want it all that dark.

Jen

I get auburn on my grays with a three hour application of Twilight with an apple juice mix.