Henna washing off from hair roots within one wash (Asian Indian slighlty wavy hair)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
jayu_iyer
Henna washing off from hair roots within one wash (Asian Indian slighlty wavy hair)

Hi,

I'm a 30 year old indian female and have been using henna for coloring my hair for grey coverage for the last 3-4 years. I have recently also tried using indigo to shade it black.

I notice in the last 3-4 months, when i just apply henna after freshly shampooing hair, the henna stays in the roots in the orange color just until the next hair wash only. The roots of grey hair (few that I have) on the top of my head and front side, becomes white within one hair wash (grey hair turns white 1cm from root) and the remaining grey hair has the henna stain still in places (until few more washes).

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong that the henna at the grey roots washes away in one hair wash. Earlier to this in past few years, the henna used to stay in my grey roots atleast 3-4 weeks(upto 6-8 washes).

Procedure that i follow:

Henna bought from mehendi.com - mixed with brown tea water to get darker stain and leave it mixed overnight.

Wash hair in the morning and apply the henna and leave it on for 4-5 hours.

Wash off the henna in hair and apply conditioner.

This procedure that i follow, the henna at the grey roots (for some grey hair i sport) washes off to a centimeter from root within the next shampoo wash.

Kindly help.

Jen
Re: Henna washing off from hair roots within one wash (Asian ...

Your routine sounds like it should work, and probably would for many people, but some people have particularly hard to cover gray. I do have some tips that might help.

1. Try wasing with dish soap or clarifying shampoo before you henna.

2. Try adding a little splash of juice to your mix. Apple, lemon, ornage... anthing with a bit of tartness will help.

3. Try leaving it sit out only 4-6 hours. Our insturctions say "over night" but that's the right standing time when you use lemon juice! The less acidic the mix, the shorter the required standing time.

4. Try leavig the paste in your hair 6 hours. That seems to be the key timing for people who struggle with gray coverage.

Carrie

Also, if you are going to let the henna paste stand before using it, only use cool or room temperature liquid, and let it stand in a room that is about 65 to 70 degrees. Warmth hastens dye release. With warm liquid, or in a room as warm as 80 to 85 degrees, your dye release will happen possibly as fast as 1 to 2 hours, and the paste will be very tired and weak if you leave it overnight.

mimi92863

@Carrie, it also sounds like she may be putting the henna on wet hair.  I thought that you should be putting it on clean DRY hair?

Wow, just realized this is a really OLD post.  :-)

jayu_iyer

Hi, i've tried leaving in the paste for 6 hrs as well and also tried lemon juice (fresh) mixed and applied in the paste, both didnt help either :(

Any suggestions anyone?