any advice to get brownish highlights ?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Camille
any advice to get brownish highlights ?

Hi ! I've been using henna on my haif for two months now, and I also did hendigo to get my lenghts to match my darker roots... however the hendigo does not get me any brownish higlights... I have a dark reddish color and i'd like to make it look like a little bit more ''chocolate''... I know henna can only darken the hair and I'm satisfied with the results, but if you have any advice as how to get browner highlights I'll be glad to hear them...

maybe trying a cassia gloss ?

Jen
Re: any advice to get brownish highlights ?

I'm a little confused about where you are now and where you're trying to go. Your hair is dark red now, and you want to lighten it to get a brown highlight? I'm having trouble imagining the shade of brown that would be lighter than a dark red. Maybe you have some photos or links to similar colors?

Camille

Hi Jen sorry I can't figure out how to put pictures in a post :(

maybe the word lighten is not the right one as red is already considered lighter than brown but basically my hair is a dark auburn and I'd like to go a little more brown... and I'd like my highlights to be more golden and less red that's why I'm talking about cassia...

what do you think ?

Carrie

You can't post a photo here but you can post a link to a photo posted somewhere else on the internet. You can post a link to your own photos if you create an account on a free image hosting site like photobucket, flickr, imageshack etc.

You can make your dark auburn hennaed hair more brown by doing a brief indigo gloss on it (like 1 Tbsp indigo per cup conditioner applied for 30 minutes, say). You can make your current mix come out browner by increasing the amount of indigo in your hendigo mix. But these shades of brown will be at least as dark, or perhaps darker than the dark auburn you have now.

To get golden highlights you have to start with lighter hair, like blonde or gray hair. Using cassia on hair that is already darker than your desired color will not give you the golden highlights you're after because plant dyes only add transparent color to what is already there. Cassia's dye is a weak light yellow/gold so it will not show up on hair that is darker than white or light blonde.

Since you have already using indigo on your hair, it would not be safe to try to bleach in some highlights, unfortunately.