Ganga Prasad Puneet Kumar or Reshma Henna after Rainbow Henna

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
imagirlyay
Ganga Prasad Puneet Kumar or Reshma Henna after Rainbow Henna

Hello! I used Rainbow Henna to color my hair in early December (before that I used chemical dye, but it had been several months). I didn't experience any adverse reactions, but after reading some of the posts on this site, I realized it couldn't have been pure henna because it turned out a very deep brown color. I wasn't disappointed, but I was really going for a shade of red. A friend at work suggested I go to a local Indian/Middle Eastern store because they sold henna. They kept the colors behind the counter, and the elderly gentleman who worked there was of little help. Since it was inexpensive, I ended up buying "Hair Care Budgundy" by Ganga Prasad Puneet Kumar (http://www.shinehenna.com/burgundy-henna.html), and a box of Reshma (just in case). After examining the ingredients of the first dye, I realized it contains more than just henna; tatric acid, sodium perborate, resorcinol and paraphenylene diamene. While I'm not thrilled at the extra ingredients (mostly because I am not sure what they are or how they may react), I don't want to have wasted the money. Has anyone used this product? Should I be concerned that it will have a poor reaction with the Rainbow Henna that I put on a month ago? If so, is it likely that if I use the Reshma instead, I might end up with the reddish color I am hoping for?

Thanks!

Marian

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Ganga Prasad Puneet Kumar or Reshma Henna after Rainbow ...

Para-phenylenediamine is a very dangerous chemical.  At the least, it can trash your hair, at the worst, it can put you in the hospital.  Yes, you wasted money, but its better to not waste your health.  Chuck that stuff in the trash and consider the loss a bargain.

Carrie

My concern about the first dye you mention (the one you link to) is that it contains sodium perborate, a oxidixing agent - not sure what its purpose is here, maybe to give you a lighter color?? Definitely what we would call a compound henna, which is generally something you want to avoid.

I don't know if it will react badly with the henna you used before, because I'm not 100% certain what is in that one - as you say, if it gave you dark brown hair, it is definitely not pure henna. If it had indigo in it, and you use a peroxide-like chemical (the sodium perborate) it's possible you could see some greenish color in your hair, I suppose.

My second concern about the dye you link to is that it contains paraphenylene diamine. That is PPD, which is commonly used in chemical hair dyes and can cause significant sensitivity reactions, like this: 

www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/whybad.html

I have not used Reshma, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. What I read about it indicates it is just henna, but I can't vouch for it personally.

imagirlyay

Since I've used chemical dyes before, I'm not overly concerned about the PPD causing me to have an allergic reaction. I'd like to get away from it because I'd like to repair my hair, but I did just spend the money on it, and I don't like to waste things.

The Rainbow Henna claims to only contain henna (the only ingredient listed on the label), but we both agree that the results were not that of pure henna. I've only seen passing references to Reshma and none gave what I felt were pros/cons, or comments on the ingredient(s).

I'll definitely take your advice concerning the sodium perborate - that's actually the ingredient I was most concerned about as far as having some kind of reaction with what's already on my hair. I'll give the Reshma Henna a try and hopefully that product is pure henna. In the future, I'm going to plan a little better - I was totally broke and really need to get some color in my hair before Saturday, so I asked advice from someone who might know where I could get henna locally. The Rainbow Henna seems to have faded pretty quickly, leaving me with a sort of brownish color with the faded red of the last hair dye I used showing through.. and of course, my roots (one of those hair situations where you feel like it looks awful but people start telling you how great it looks - infuriating!). The directions on the Rainbow Henna seemed to be pretty rushed; mix and apply immediately for an hour. I think I'll use the lemon juice/water method with the Reshma and let it sit overnight before I apply. The package has absolutely no instructions on it, so I'll follow the ones in the guide here.

Thanks very much for your help, Carrie. I really didn't want to end up with green or melted hair (although I know a few people who'd probably think the green was cool).

MrsZDP

yikes. if that was inexpensive, like you initially said I'd follow CC's advice and trash it.  I read some info on that in the past when I was new to the henna world and they were some pretty bad reviews...some people ended up with worse hair problems than they had before...like split, dry, and very brittle hair. Some women experienced hair loss.  

didn't mean to butt in, I just used to be a girl of the primarily chemical dye's and never thought anything of it, until one day my hair had enough.  I experienced hair loss at only 35. yuck.  Since Henna my hair hasn't been healthier.  The henna I buy here, I feel is extremely reasonable and top notch. Good luck!

Jen

I understant that you have used paraphenylene diamine before without reaction, but that is actually one of the most dangerous things about it! It is a sensitizing chemcical which means that each exposure makes you more and more likely to react. Once you do react each reaction becomes more and more dangerous. What's more, is that if you're going to use a dye with paraphynylene in it you might as well go back to chemical dyes. Its undoing all the good of the henna in the product might offer.