can i just henna my roots?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
samjane
can i just henna my roots?

i've used ancient sunrise henna for hair kit (medium brunette) several times now and have been happy with the results. 

problem is, i'm not able to do it myself (my sister usually does it for me) so i don't have it done nearly as often as i would like (because i think doing my entire head would be too labor intensive for me to do myself). 

is there something i can use just to do my roots?  how much growth is too much?  judging from my grays, it looks like i have about 2-3 inches (i think i last had it done it august).  what can i do to maintain my henna (and how often should i be doing it)?

also, have been using the henna for hair kit, but am wondering if i should be using the henna for gray instead.  what exactly is the difference?

thanks.

Carrie
Re: can i just henna my roots?

You certainly can henna just your roots. Most people do that once they arrive at the color they like on the length. That way you won't keep adding more color to the length and end up darker than you want.

There is no such thing as too much growth; you simply apply the henna to whatever part of the hair you feel needs more color.

You would re-henna the length again when and if you feel it needs deeper color, or if you want to go for maximum color (dark auburn/burgundy is using henna by itself, black if using henna/indigo).

If you like the color on the length as it is, don't re-henna it because that will darken the color. If  you just want to add fullness and shine, use cassia instead on the length. You can do this at the same time you're doing henna (or a henna/indigo mix) on your roots.

There are lots of methods for applying to roots. Here is an old thread about it: 

www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php

The kits for gray have a higher dye content henna for best penetration on stubborn, dye-resistant gray hair.

yaya

You can use henna just on the roots, I do this to my hair. I don't mix up as much mix and just apply to the new growth. As far as using henna for grey? I do not know about this, the compnay I buy  henna from has colors. I use is red and I have a lot of grey and it covers wonderfully. Red is best when coloring grey. What brand are you using? I can give you more pointers on how to cover up your grey if you want it, hope this helps.

Jen

Products that come in colors that don't involve mixing in other plant dyes such as indigo, cassia, etc. are considered compound dyes and are off topic here. 

yaya

The answer is yes you can use henna on roots, but I feel your main concern is that you cannot do this yourself. With this being said I am not sure how you are going to do it unless you have the help of someone else. Sorry not a lot of help good luck with it...