Eyebrows? and thyroid hair

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
ladydawny
Eyebrows? and thyroid hair

hi there

this will be my first time with real henna. As I always used fake permanent dyes which was nay on brows i wondered whether henna was safe on them?

I do hope this works I have thyroid disease and ME and my hair is thin, kinked (thyroid hair) and aweful condition :( bit of grey in roots.

Any advice gratefully received :)

luv Dawnx

ladytetsu
Re: Eyebrows? and thyroid hair

I'll leave the eyebrow part to the mods, they can answer best, but I also have thyroid issues that were recently (THANK GOD!!!) controlled - henna works fine on thyroid hair.  I noticed my sheds even more and sort of freaked out a little, but it's not that I was losing MORE hair, just that each strand was now brighter and more visible so it looked scarier in the shower.  After I got my meds sorted out my sheds stopped and now I have hennaed wispy baby hairs sticking out pretty much everywhere! :)

ACWN

Henna *can* be used on the brows but because its not an FDA approved hair dye, we cannot recommend it or suggest how to use it. Its also a little pointless as the hair on your brows tends to shed very quickly and you'd be doing it roughly every 2 weeks. It also stains the skin under your brows a very intense orange for about 48 hours.

rao4400

I was actually curious about this too!  When you dye your brows to match, it makes the look that much more natural!

I did some research, and apparently in Kuwait it's actually a common practice to fill in the eyebrows, sort of a temporary tattoo eyebrow pencil.  I actually found a video online of the entire process! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yExOOgkvY48

Also, other people have attempted it, and in order to get it to work well, you need to VERY carefully put plastc wrap around it so it stays wet.  Some eyebrows are dye resistant however, so it may not work well.  Again, this is just from some basic research, but as soon an my henna comes in the mail, I'm going to give it a try!

This is the thread I found discussing eyebrow dying.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_O...

yaya

I do have a positive testimony to share with you =) I had thyroid cancer 4 years ago. After having it all removed (cancer and thyroid) I have suffered from thinning hair and sesitivity to chemicals. I  started using henna and I am so happy I made the switch. My hair is awesome I get so many compliments. I use red, I only do my roots every little bit and only a all over color every 2 months. I feel you will love henna, which brand are you looking into? As for the eyebrows I have not tried this yet....I hope this helps if you have any questions please ask and I will try to help

janmarbol

I have the same "thyroid" hair... henna, cassia and buxus made it SO much better and less frizzy... it's just another texture

bonnie

I have a solution for dark eyebrows that need to be lightened.  I use bleach for facial hair on my eyebrows and remove it before it completely takes the color away.  My brows turn kind of light brown.

saffronia

Hello ladydawny! I have "thyroid hair" as well and henna improves the texture and volume so much! I started about three years ago, and have only needed to do my roots for the last two years! I henna my brows every time I henna my roots (once a month). I found applying a light coating and covering it with scotch tape (to keep it moist and in place) works very well. I leave it on for about 1.5 to 2 hours (I have left in on for as long as 4 hours)--the results are always the same: much more natural overall look, and brightens the face up nicely. It does fade, but it is a very slow fade; not really obvious. I think you are going to LOVE the results!

desertholly

Being a natural redhead, I just do a henna glaze these days on my roots, a little part henna, greater part very thick conditioner (currently using one called "Organix" brazilian keratin therapy" - no sulfates, not too bad).  I just dab a little onto my eyebrows with my finger and kind of work it gently into the hairs, then wipe around if I get outside the brow line (which is pretty diffuse anyway).  The glaze doesn't stain my skin to notice, and the conditioner keeps it moist for awhile without covering.  Then again, my hair is light and takes henna really fast, so that's all I need to get just a little boost of color on my eyebrows, which are naturally lighter than my hair.  Long way of saying, it's very convenient to mix some of your henna paste with thick conditioner to apply to your eyebrows.  Doesn't run, doesn't dry out, leaves your brows pretty and silky soft. 

ladydawny

Thankyou so much all of you.

I am putting it on tonight, your comments really helped and made me feel more sure than ever about trying it :).

Some great tips and its fantastic to rediscover something natural that looks good. Sometimes with all the man made chemicals that are all around us, not to mention inside us , enough is enough :/

Take care all, thanks again and stay well x

Ladydawny

bonnie

Well I tried it........henna on my eyebrows.  I did get an orange halo but it lasted only a day.  My friend said that if your skin is really moisturized well, the henna won't stain much so I'm glad I tried it.