Just dyed over my henna'd hair...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Timer
Just dyed over my henna'd hair...

Hello current and future henna-heads! I just did a little experiment over the weekend and wanted to share my results.

I've been henna'ing for over a year and decided that I wanted to go chocolate brown for a couple of months just to mix things up (I get bored easily), so I decided to use a chemical color. I didn't want to use indigo or buxus since I know that I want to eventually go back to a vibrant red. Anyways, I've read that dying over henna hair leads to darker results, so I chose a med brown to cover up my medium copper hair, hoping for a chocolate brown result. Well.... they aren't joking when they say DARKER! It's nearly black on the length of my hair and super dark brown on the roots (roots probably had 2 hennas). Luckily, I used a semi-perm and it should wash out and lighten up over time.

Some facts that probably effected the color:

-I have lightened the length of my hair with 30Vol developer, so that may have helped the darker color absorb better.

-I blow dry my hair.

-I've used Manic Panic and SFX in my hair.

-My last henna was 2 weeks ago.

So, just wanted to let everyone know in case they ever wanted to chemical dye their hair. I had a med copper and the light brown dye probably would've given me the color I was aiming for... I'm just glad I didn't grab the actual chocolate brown dye!

kcr
Re: Just dyed over my henna'd hair...

Do me a favor and keep us posted on how the color holds up through a few shampoos.

I am curious about how well the color stays on hennaed hair.

Timer

Well, it's been about a week and it seems to be fading a little bit. People are starting to compliment me on my hair, saying it looks like I put dark red highlights in my hair.

Pretty much, it looks like I originally had DARK brown hair with med brown highlights, then henna'd over that (because my henna is starting to show through). It's kind of nice, because a lot of people are surprised when I say that the highlights weren't on purpose The ends of my hair are not really fading at all yet, but I figured it's because they're the most damaged from when I lightened with developer and sun-in. So far, it's a nice change! But, I'm sure I'll go back to henna one day :)

kcr

Thanks for the update, Timer--that is interesting to know.

What kind of semi-permanent color did you use?

Timer

I believe it was Natural Instincs in Natural Medium Brown.

If I dye over it again, I'll probably use the Warm Light Brown to achieve that chocolate color I want.

Ess

What color do you suppose you might have achieved with say a dark neutral or ash blonde? I'm considering something like this over my hennaed hair. I go back and forth between thinking the current color is just lovely, and worrying that it doesn't suit my skin tone. So, something to tone it down? I've got buxus on hand, but my last effort with it was less than successful. Basically washed out immediately, if it did anything at all. I'm willing to try it again, but I don't want to mess with indigo.