How can I tone down the copper/ orange color?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hennabrown
How can I tone down the copper/ orange color?

I have brown hair with copper highlights naturally. Now that I've started going gray and I use henna I love how healthy my hair feels and I'm happy with my hair color in indoor light. I'm outside often, however, and in the direct sun my hair seems a brassy orange rather than the rich brown I see when indoors. Is there a way to tone down the orange color? I am currently using a cassia, buxus, henna mix. I've used indigo in the past, but don't want to go too dark. Did I see you can use buxus as a secondary application? Does using vinegar or distilled water help? Would increasing the ratio of buxus help? Does anyone add amla to buxus with the cassia and henna??? I'll strand test whatever I do, just looking for some solid ideas to get to a cooler brown. Thanks in advance! I was about to go to a salon, but am nervous about using chemicals and don't really want to...

Jen
Re: How can I tone down the copper/ orange color?

You're always going to see some degree of orange/red shimmer to your hair in outdoor light with henna in your mix. Not much you can do to completely avoid it. I do have some tips to help you tone it down.

First, that buxus gloss may do exactly what you want, but it will most likely make your hair a little darker too. Like you said, a strand test is in order. The good news is that if you don't like the look, it will likely fade a little eventually.

I have heard that a little black walnut powder makes for more opaque coverage and therefor less red/orange shine in the sun. I can't say I've tried it though!

I also don't know about buxus and amla. I can't remember hearing of anyone trying! Since the dye molecule in henna is very similar to cassia, and buxus at least behaves similar to indigo... I'd have to guess there's at least a good shot that the result would be similar. If you try it, please keep us posted!

Carrie

I found that a 2-step with buxus does mute the orange glimmer in sunlight (and the shine in general, unfortunately) of henna. 

When buxus first become available through Mehandi I tested a buxus/henna/amla mix and found amla didn't enhance buxus uptake the way it does with indigo, but don't let that stop you from performing your own experiments!  Mixed directly with buxus, I believe amla's acidity would inhibit buxus dye release, but if you mix amla + henna, then add separately mixed buxus + warm water, you should be okay.

Kimberlee

I've been doing a 50/50 buxus/yemen mix and adding in amla.....  1-2 tbl spoons.  I just did it this last time w/out (out of amla) and I can see a difference in my grays.  They almost have a blonde-ish sheen now (after 2 weeks) - this wasn't the case before.... Not sure how it worked.  I don't think it "darkened" my hair at all, but maybe helped it fade out less quickly??   I am ordering amla again.  I was initially trying to get some of my waves back....

Carrie

Thanks for reporting on that! when did you add your amla - before dye release or right before application, or ?? and are you mixing the buxus separately with water, or are you using any acid with it?