Instructions for using straight alma to restore curls

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
phyl1knit2
Instructions for using straight alma to restore curls

I recently colored my hair with a combo of cassia, henna & buxus; I love the color but prior to my using this the curls had started to really relax in the outer layers of my hair - damaged from chemicals. From reading about the various products it appears that Amla is my answer but I want to make sure I'm clear on the instructions. Do I put the paste on dry or wet hair? Does my hair need to be freshly washed? I have been using Ouidad products on my hair to control frizz, do I need to wash them out prior to amla application? Thanks for your help!

ACWN
Re: Instructions for using straight alma to restore curls

I would apply it to freshly washed, towel dried hair. It will probably work better if there isnt a lot of product build up on your hair and the paste will spread easier on damp hair.

Carrie

I mix amla really watery, too - not like a paste.

curlykinks

I'm really glad to hear your how you applied the amla. I need to use amla spruce up my curls a little. I'm glad you liked the outcome. I saw a post where Carrie used Yogurt and amla. I'm wondering what the difference is in her recipe and straight amla. I'm gonna do it in the AM.

phyl1knit2

Would love to hear how it turns out. Are you going to use the yogurt? I didn't see that post & just used straight warm water. 

Phyllis

curlykinks

Here's a link to the page

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/1276

I'm also considering zizy. I've read in the forum that it's good for volume and bounce. I want both. Amla for curl def and zizy for volume and bounce. I just posted and asked if it was possible to do an amla treatment and follow it with a zizy wash.

When I was looking for the above link I saw a really old post from 2009 where they discussed using yogurt and amlo to keep hair from getting too dark from amla alone. seems if you use a lot of amla for a long time it will darken your hair temporarily. that's the other thing I don't want. I think my hair is just about saturated, but if it gets darker it'll just get darker red. I don't want a darker brown cause then it'll look black and that's not a good look for me.

I'll post here after I do it in the AM, whatever I decide to do. :)

phyl1knit2

Thanks so much! I'll report back later on my results :D

Phyllis

phyl1knit2

I followed all of the instructions & washed my hair with the nettle/comfrey/peppermint bar soap from Mehandi, towel dried & then doused my hair in the thin paste like Amla, rubbed some into my face & neck, put on a shower cap & basically killed time for 15 minutes. I rinsed out the bottle I mixed the Amla in & dumped that on my hair along with the rinse water. I really could feel a difference in my hair texture. It felt heavier & thicker while wet. I also used the Ancient Sunrise Lavender conditioner as my hair didn't really feel 'combable'. It is now dry & the hair around my face, which was the most damaged has some waves back & over all my hair feels thicker. I think this is something that will take more than one treatment & I am so glad I have an order on the way! I read somewhere to condition the hair with Amla once a month; can it be done more often? Should I alternate with cassia as a conditioner? I'm so sorry that I had to wait til my 'old age' to find out all this good stuff! 

Also, any advice on doing my eyebrows? Everywhere it says 'don't do them'; but I always did them when I chemically dyed my hair & I would love to have them match my hair instead of being grey! yuk! My thought was to take some of the mix for my hair & using an eyebrow brush, apply it to my eyebrows & then take a strip of plastic wrap & put it around my head like a head band, covering my eyebrows, but, obviously, not my eyes ;) What is the downside to doing the eyebrows? Thanks!

Phyllis

Carrie

I think you can do amla more often than once a month - I have. If you do it too often your hair will feel dry is all.

Eyebrows: The FDA does not permit the sale of henna for use on eyebrows, and as a supplier of henna, Mehandi cannot condone this practice. People do it, but we can't recommend it. You definitely would not want to get paste in your eye, that would be the downside.

xyz

Since I don't work for mehandi, I'll tell you how I have hennaed my eyebrows.  I'll warn you, though, that it's messy and a bit undignified.  If you find yourself in the middle of hennaing your eyebrows and you experience an earthquake (as it happened to me) you might end up trapped in your home because you'd rather die than run outside and let anyone see you.  Caveat emptor!

I use those silly eyebrow stencils you can find at most drug and cosmetic stores.  I adhere them to my forehead, using medical tape, as best I can and "pounce" the henna on my eyebrows using a moistened Q-tip or a stiff flat brush.  When I can't find the stencils in the mess that is my dressing room, I just cut small sections of the same medical tape (the white stuff you find in emergency kits), shape them around my eyebrows, and apply the henna.  And if I can't find either, I just create a fence or barrier with a thick coating of petroleum jelly.  I then cover the whole thing with plastic kitchen film.  Sometimes I even wear swimming goggles (because I use hard contact lenses and I'm terrified of getting anything in my eyes) or the stupid eye-covers they give you when you go to a tanning salon.  Really, do you truly want to do this?  It is simply ridiculous!  Unless you have completely gray eyebrows, an auburn eye wax/powder combo would be a better all around alternative--and it doesn't stain the skin underneath.

Now, if you want to read very funny stories--and have access to the old forum--you could search anecdotes of people using henna to dye their lower regions...the descriptions of home-made plastic underwear are hilarious. 

phyl1knit2

Thank you, xyz! I actually did my eyebrows when I did my hair last week but because I didn't cover it & it dried out rather quickly, the dye didn't take. My daughter did my hair & she was laughing hysterically at me saying I looked like Groucho Marx in a Shrek episode! I did the Groucho walk a few times & we got over it! ;) I have tried those brow powders & I can never find the right shade; usually they are too dark. I would just like to be lazy & do them with my hair & be done. 

I did laugh out loud when you mentioned the earthquake as we had one here a month or so ago & thankfully I was just doing housework! But I could so relate!!!! LOL!

Thank you very much for your very informative as well as humorous response! :D

Phyllis

phyl1knit2

Thanks, Carrie, I understand.

xyz

Hey, Phyllis, "my" earthquake was a month ago too...maybe we live in the same general area?  East coast?

phyl1knit2

Hi xyz, Yes, East Coast, I'm in Baltimore MD. :) I think it registered like 5.6 or something in that range. Glad it wasn't last Wed. when I was green! lol!

xyz

I'm in Northern VA--and yes, I WAS hennaing my eyebrows at the time!  hahahahahahaha!

curlykinks

So I did the Amla today. I used straight amla in hot water. I didn't use a lot, maybe 40 grams. I mexed it to a sort watery consistency, not a paste. I applied to freshly washed hair and left it in for 30 minutes. I rinced and when I thought it was all out I rinsed some more then when I was sure it was out I rinsed some more. I added a little herbal essense to give a little slip and then I rinsed again. I was able to get it all out with not problem. I added some conditioner and left it in for less then 5 minutes. I rinsed it out and applied my products.

It did restore my curls and a side benefit is the place where I always always have frizz is frizz free. For once my hair did what it was supposed to do. I'm hoping by using the amla I can have predictable results every time.

I'd say if you're interested in the amla, go for it.