Want to switch from lemon juice - too drying

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michele
Want to switch from lemon juice - too drying

I've been using lemon juice only to dye release my henna (Purity).  I'm finding that it's too drying on my scalp and hair and would like to switch.  I'm doing a 50/50 henna/indigo mix for three hours.  Will that change the color that I'm getting?  And what do you suggest I use?  Thanks.

ACWN
Re: Want to switch from lemon juice - too drying

No, it will not change anything besides dye release time. You can use apple juice (6 - 8 hours) or tea (1 - 4 hours), both are acidic enough and much more gentle than LJ. If you have grays you have to cover, apple juice is better to use.

Michele

That's great to know - that applie juice will be better for the grays.  I'll definitely try that next time.  Thanks!  If I go with tea - is there a brand you recommend?

ACWN

Nope, any will do. You can also add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the tea to bump up its acidity slightly if you have grays too (acid helps the henna bind better to grays), it'll push the dye release time up... probably closer to 2 - 4 hours, maybe a bit longer.

amyhenna

I'm just weighing in on my own experience...I know hair is different from head to head, but your routine is so close to mine that I wanted to respond.

I used to mix my Purity with pure organic lemon juice. It worked fine- no problems, no complaints.

Then I read that my hair might not go as dark if I used tea instead. I have grays in the front. I've been using organic chamomile tea, and it perfectly colors the grays, and leaves a pretty color. I like it better than the color I got with lemon juice. I feel like it's lighter, and less orange. (or else I got used to the orange-ishness.)

I also stopped blow drying my hair since I read that the heat darkens up the henna over time.

My natural hair color is medium brown (closer to dark than light), and my "grays" are not gray whatsoever, using Purity and organic chamomile tea. My head itches less than when I used lemon juice. (I didn't notice the itchiness until it ceased to exist when I started using tea- it wasn't extremely itchy, but noticebly "gone" when I started using tea)

Go for tea! :-)

Jen

I think that it the difference in liquid really can effect the color, especially in the first few days. Less acidic liquids will be more orange-y in those first few days, but likely mellow out to a color that would be very similar in the long run. Also some people with grays that are stubborn to take up dye and want a deep auburn color may need to stick with lemon juice. For the majority of people the switch to apple juice will work just fine.