My Adventures in Punky Colour

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cheryl_hiccups
My Adventures in Punky Colour

Some might remember that I was trying to find a way to tone away the most of the red from henna. The backstory is that I have been using henna for nearly 2 years. I love how henna protects my hair. I have the sort of hair that gets faded and has split ends if you as much as so boo at it, but not since I've begun using henna. I also have some obnoxious large flake dandruff issues. Henna helps quite a bit with that as well.

I am over the red color, though. It doesn't look bad, but it isn't my best look and I really want to be able to wear burgundy again without having my hair clash. My hair is a medium brown, almost a dark brown. I use Jamilla overnight and get a cherry cola tone that isn't quite all the way to the eggplant color some get. I do have some dark blond hair sprinkled in, particularly at my hairline around my face. I have very minimal amount of grays.

I had tried using buxus to tone the red, but I just had too much fading and it took a lot of effort to get saturation. Also, I don't think the buxus has enough green in it to get to the shade I was wanting anyway. I have avoided indigo, because I know I would not be pleased if my hair went too dark and it was permanent.

The solution I found has been to do Punky Colour glosses. (Punky Colour is a dye similar to Manic Panic.) I used a rounded kitchen cereal spoon of apple green and 1/4th of that of lagoon blue. (So, 4 parts green to 1 part blue.) I mixed it into a cup of thick cornstarch gel. (That's enough to cover my not-thick shoulder-length hair.) I applied it over freshly hennaed hair. It took a few applications to get the coverage I was seeking. (My best guess says that leaving my gloss on for 2 hours next time I henna should get the same results in one application.) I ended up with a very dark brown / soft black that completely toned the red away. I have found that washing with baking soda actually fades it the least and my salicylic acid dandruff shampoo and suave shampoo both fade it a lot.

My plan for upkeep is to henna once a month followed by a punky colour gloss. And then once or twice during the month as my hair fades back to a redder brown I'd do another gloss. This is a very doable routine for me and I am very happy with the results.

I will take pictures after the next time I gloss, although I'm not sure how well it will show up on camera.

ACWN
Re: My Adventures in Punky Colour

I just want to offer this incase you eventually get tired of having to constantly touch up the color and you find you want to have that color for a good while... try cassia over top of the punky dye. The cassia will mostly seal the color in and make it last a long while with out any real color. It will also work similarly to the henna in that it will help repair your hair, but please do strand test because some folks find that their hair REALLY doesnt like cassia and it turns their hair dry and brittle instead of soft and strong.

If you find that the cassia agrees with your hair, you may have to apply the cassia every 3 weeks as the dye and effects last about that long, so the punky dye may start to fade once the cassia is gone. But it may work out that you only have to apply the punky dye once a month or every 2 months, depending.

Cheryl_hiccups

I had thought about using cassia. I would have to do my roots about once a month anyway, though so sealing it in isn't a needful thing and doesn't really save me any steps.

1. Henna

2. Punky Colour gloss

3. Punky Colour gloss reapplication (midway through the month)

VERSUS

1. Henna

2. Punky Colour gloss

3. Cassia

See what I mean? Also, I should add that I have enough Punky Colour to do this for YEARS, because I found a really good clearance sale on it.

ACWN

Ah, I see... good point. I think one gal experimented on mixing punky colors with the henna and got some natural colors. Maybe see if that works? That way the henna is sealing in the punky dye right at the get go, or at least partially. Might be something to try out on strand tests at least.

But if you're good with how you're doing it, then great! Just throwin' out ideas incase you find (down the line) that its a bit of a pain. :)

andrea_au

Can't wait to see your pics!!   Manic Panic hasn't given me nearly as good results as you're getting with the Punky - as soon as it faded a bit, i had like a weird colour sheen on top of the henna  - so, like a turquoise sheen over red/orange - almost like two colours of tissue paper and you could see both!  interesting, but weird for hair colour! :)

If you try the Punky right in with the henna in a one-step app, please let us know if it works! 

i keep saying, if some brilliant chemist could just find a way to get lawsone to bounce wavelenghts of different colours, so you could have brown or purple or cherry red or lizard green, and yet still give all the benefits it usually does and bind with the keratin, she would be rich!!  ;)   then again, people would have to really like those colours, 'cause they'd have 'em a long time ....  

Cheryl_hiccups

I've washed my hair 4 times since I last did my punky gloss and I've faded from a cool, soft near-black to  a slightly warm dark chocolate color. In a way I really like that the color changes a bit each time I wash it. All the shades so far are variations on what I consider my ideal hair color, so I'm a happy camper.

Andrea_au, I haven't had the odd two-toned sheen at all. I wonder if that is the difference in brands or maybe has to do with the fact that I'm glossing vs. putting the green & blue stuff on straight? I should mention that I did try to use the punky colors in henna the first time, but it didn't really seem to take very well... I think the henna with it's acidity was affecting the uptake of the punky colour.

I'll be doing a gloss again in another 4ish days and I'll get a good picture then.

Cheryl_hiccups

Here's a picture I just took so you could see how it's still toned away from the red even after the punky colour gloss has faded a bit. My hair is catching the light a bit in this shot. I think it looks a bit lighter than my hair really is, but it shows the tone very well.

http://twitgoo.com/15c3tc

dani25

My goodness. Not what I thought it would be.  When you were saying  Punky Colour, I thought your hair was yellow, or green, or purple.  I like that!  So you are using the Punky Colour to tone down the red to a brown color? If I missed it, what colour are you using from the line?  - Thx, Dani

ACWN

dani - "I used a rounded kitchen cereal spoon of apple green and 1/4th of that of lagoon blue."

dani25

So, you were going for a tone down of the red for a browner color? Or were you going for blue/green? :-) - Dani

ACWN

I think she was aiming for toning it down, since red/orange + blue/green = brown

Cheryl_hiccups

I was going for toning away the intense red/orange of the henna to a dark brown. I wasn't trying to get dayglo teal hair. :D (And the picture shows it after it has faded off a bit from 4 washes. It was cooler in tone when I first did the punky gloss.)

dani25

Suddenly this has become a very interesting thread.... Thx. - Dani

andrea_au

That looks awesome, Cheryl_hiccups!!!!   Gets pen:   more green than blue, k, got that. 

Will keep notes on the Elumen, too, so we can compare - i'm wondering how long each will last over henna, versus cost overall!  since, ya know,  this is gonna be a long-term upkeep kinda thing .... :) 

Just got my first Elumen shipment on Friday - hoping the next one comes this week so I can start experimenting. :D

Carrie

Wow, that's a beautiful believable color. Nice work!

kcr

For some reason I couldn't see this yesterday, but today I can--and it is just gorgeous!

Cheryl_hiccups

Here's a picture after a fresh Punky gloss: http://twitgoo.com/15w09x

Once again, my hair looks a bit darker than what shows in the picture, but it gives a good idea of the result.