how to make celebration henna lighter/more orangy

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
curlykinks
how to make celebration henna lighter/more orangy

Hi-So last year in August 2010 I purchased Amal, Celebration henna and indigo. For some reason I was afraid to use henna. 1 year later, and I know I need to use henna. I color and highlight and I believe the color is breaking my hair since I haven't achieved any new growth for a year. I'm convinced it's the color. I'm a naturaly 3c/4a curly and haven't had a relaxer in 10 years. My color is wa reddish brown with orangy highlights. I should point out that My conplexion is cafe auleit and I think my hair color would look darker on someone fairer. Never the less, I love the warm red/brown with the orangy highlights.

I had an tube of Aveda root madder conditioner. It really brought out the orange in my hair, but the newer version (maybe it's just fresh) leaves my hair more a weird auburn. that got ome to thinking. If I use the celebration henna, I would not want to have auburn hair, and I don't want my hair to be darker. So how do I use this henna to keep my hair in the same color family and maybe even lighten it a little. What do I mix it with, and what is the ratio. Should I use another brand of henna with less dye. BTW, did I mention I have lots of resistent grey. Whatever they use at the salon I go to is the best I've ever had as far as covering the gray, but since my hair is gray (70%) and resistence, I need the dye content in the celebration or something like it. I just don't want dark auburn hair. I'm willing to become a mixologist if I need to do my hair a different color then my roots. Did I say I don't want to have orange roots and darker hair.

I have 2 boxes of Ancient Sunrise Celebration Henna Batch #041610 that I purchased from Tapdancing Lizard aka Henna for Hair.

I'd post some pics to show you what I have, but I don't see a way to do that. I could show you exactly what I have because I took a pic to the salon and she was able to give me the color. I love red hair. I think that's why I didn't use the henna last year. I was into brown and blonde. But once she did my hair red, I realized that blonde was all wrong for me.

I want to use the henna to loosen my curl pattern, so I'll be doing it often, but of course, I don't want to use the amla since it keeps your curl pattern from loosening. . And once you get the color you want won't it darken every time you henna. And if you don't henna every few weeks/months won't the color fade. Seems like a catch-22 to me.

I know I talked a lot. There is a lot of information on this site and although Im reading I stilll need some help. Thanks.

Carrie
Re: how to make celebration henna lighter/more orangy

You can post a link to your photos after you've posted them on the internet somewhere else (like on a free image hosting like photobucket, flickr, etc). But we are not supposed to post images themselves here because it takes up too much bandwidth.

Henna generally does not fade if it is properly prepared (boiling water can make it fade, though), so it does build up and get darker/redder each time you reapply it.

If Celebration makes your gray darker than you want, you can dilute it with cassia or conditioner to make it less strong. Then your gray will turn lighter, more orange instead of red/auburn. Most people would rather have auburn instead of orange, though. Once you get the length to the color you want, don't add any more henna there, just touch up your roots as they grow in.

curlykinks

Thank you. I guess what I'm saying is I don't want ot to be too dark. I'm going to do a few tests. Can you tell me the ratio of cassia or conditioner to henna. If I choose to do this kind of combination, will it get darker the longer it's on as it would with just henna. With celebration, how long to let it sit, and how long should I leave it on. If celebration with a 3.4% lawsone is too dark, I can get some other kind.  

Here's a link to the color I have. I call it orangy rather then auburn, and my base color is the darker color (in photo 2)

s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g465/coilyandkinky/

The second  photo of the girl alone  is what I have. I took this pic to my salon and she did pretty well duplcating the color. The first photo of the woman in several views. is as dark as I want to be. I love both colors. I consider auburn to be pretty dark, right?

Later:

After searching your site, I am totally confused about which henna to use. As I said I have the 3.4% celebration. If I want my hair lighter, should I use this henna. Can I lighten it with cassia or conditioner.

Carrie

I need a password to view your photo, it says.

You can make any ratio you want with henna and cassia, or henna and conditioner. Try a hairball test with 1:1 ratio of either mix and see how you like the results. If you dilute Celebration by half, you are going to get the same color result as if you used a henna with half the dye content. These mixes will give you more color uptake the longer you leave them on, just like a full-strength henna would.

curlykinks

thanks. That makes it clearer. I'm going to do the test like you say. I'm hoping I can just use straight up henna and not have to do a lot of mixing. I'm thinking of getting the cassia since it's so good for your hair. I'm going for two things. I want to stretch out my curl pattern, and I really want to stop using commercial color. And I love red hair.

Here's the link

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g465/coilyandkinky/

PW: henna

Carrie

The password is wrong, it tells me.

curlykinks

I've made the photos public.

If my hair color is similar to these and I use AS celebration, My hair will go very dark, correct? So what lawsone, or combination of cassia and celebration (lawsone 3.4%) should I use. And is it OK to use the celebration that I purchased in Aug 2010. It has been unopened sealed in the USPS box in my home with no extreme temperatures.

What I'm trying to achieve here is to move from commercial color, professional done, to Henna, but not lose my coppery color. I don't look good in very dark hair.

Carrie

If your hair is darker and you want to go lighter, like the 2nd model has, you would probably need to lighten your hair first, and then henna. Maybe you could bleach a few strands for lighter highlights, instead of bleaching all your hair? 

Henna won't lighten your hair, even if you add cassia to it. Mostly what cassia does, colorwise, is dilute the henna color so you are adding less orange/red color to your hair. On lighter hair, this gives lighter orange/bright copper results, but on darker hair the color is less visible.

You could try using 1:1 cassia/henna with your Celebration henna. It is fine to use Celebration that you bought in 2010; it will keep for years in its original foil package.

If you used straight Celebration I think you would get a darker red/auburn shade than you want.

Carrie

I re-read your first posts and see that you are already like the 2nd pic, and want to be like the first (darker) one. So I would suggest you strand test both the 1:1 mix, and a full-strength Celebration, applied for 2-3 hours. Be sure to let the tests oxidize for a week - Celebration takes that long to darken to its final color.

curlykinks

Hi

Thanks for your comment. I think I got the answer even though I was not clear.

I added another photo.

My hair is about the color of the girl in the third picture. I wanted to know what the ratio would be in order to keep my hair as it is. If you look closely at that picture (not really the best photo) you will see that it really has a darker base/undertone with coppery hightlights. I added a new photo, #1. This pretty much looks like my base color. So combining Photo #1, my base color, and photo #3 my hightlihg color, this is my current hair color.

I want to keep my color. I know it won't be exactly the same, but I DON'T want to go darker. So I was asking if I should use another brand with a lower lawsone, or if it's OK to use the celebration, what would be the ratio of cassia to henna.

I really appreciate your help. You don't know how long I've been on this computer trying to find answers.

Carrie

Using another henna with a lower percentage of lawsone is an option (the other option is to use your Celebration but dilute it with conditioner or cassia, as we have talked about) ... but that alone will not get your dark color (like #1) to look as light and coppery as #3. To make ANY kind of henna come out that light, on your dark hair, you would need to lighten your hair first, like with hair bleach.

curlykinks

thanks Carrie.

My hair is a conbination of the two photos. I'm really not trying to lighten as I know henna will not lighten your hair.

I'm trying to keep what I have. 

So I will dilute the celebration or get a lower lawsone henna.

What is the ratio to keep my hair like it is, and what other lower lawsone would you recommend. thanks.

Carrie

You will need to strand test, but start your testing with 1:1 ratio.  Or try Yemen Light.

curlykinks

Great! Thanks so much!!

curlykinks

Just wanted to thank the forum admin. I did a test run of the celebration, and boy oh boy. that stuff is the bomb dot com. It really covered the gray roots. I did a swatch test on shed hair, and I did a patch test on the gray. It really blends in with the darker color. There's really no line of demarcation. Maybe it blends so well because my colorist is so good. But I need to get away from the chemicals. Hence my decision to henna. Besides, I love the red.

Just putting this out there for all you curlies and kinky curlies and naturals, and particularly those with gray roots. The Celebration Henna is great. I forget what the equivelent is, but it would be the one with the highest Lawsone. I should also point out that I washed my hair several times after applying the henna. It was my week of experimentation, and I probably washed it every day. So, even with all that washing, the henna stuck.

One question because I'm a slow learner. Will the henna get darker the longer I keep it on, or will it just get brighter.

Two questions.:)  What is the benefit of lemon juice. With water you can use it right away, with lemon you wait for dye release. Is the color darker with lemon. Thanks.

Carrie

You mean with a longer application time, will your color be darker or brighter? 

A shorter application time is adding lighter/brighter orange tones. A longer application time means more dye will be taken up by your hair so the color you're adding is deeper red/orange. The color will oxidize over about a week, which means it will darken and become less bright or orange, and more of a rich auburn red on any gray hair, and rich red highlights on dark hair.

Lemon juice provides acidity that slows down dye release, so you have active, usable dye for a longer time (a day or two if you only use lemon juice and your room is not overly warm). A little acidity in the mix allows the henna to bind better with your hair. You can achieve enough acidity to get that benefit without using all lemon juice. You can use a less acidic juice like apple juice, or strongly brewed teas (herbal teas are nice for this, like rosehip, hibiscus, chamomile, orange zinger, etc - or green tea is also popular). Or you can use water with just a splash (1 or 2 Tbsp) of lemon juice or vinegar or wine.

I don't find that lemon makes the color darker, though. I saw puny, fading orange color when I used boiling water, but other than that, I don't see much color difference when using different mixing liquids. Chamomile tea may have made the color a little more red, less orange/brown tinged, but others may not have the same experience I did with that.