Amla Gloss?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
BBdck1
Amla Gloss?

Hi, I was just wondering if amla would have any affects if it is mixed into a henna gloss? Henna has straighten out my waves somewhat and I was hoping to get some it back. Is it a better idea to just use amla by itself because I feel like I'm wasting a lot of amla (>100g vs 1:4 ratio of amla:henna or even less in a gloss).

Also, I know that amla give you back waves but does that revert my hair back to being frizzy. I like how henna reduce the frizziness so I'm worry that amla will revert that.

Carrie
Re: Amla Gloss?

I use 100 to 125 gm of powders to dye my hair but if I am doing an amla treatment by itself I would only need about 25 gm. You can mix amla really thin and watery, not like a paste. It would also be fine to add it to a gloss, you should still get some effects. I am not sure what will happen as far as frizz but I can say I don't recall anyone complaining of frizz from using amla. It doesn't smooth out and remove frizz like henna does but I don't think it would increase it.

andrea_au

I've been using amla in a gloss to encourage my waviness.  I just mix about a teaspoon into a small handful of 'cone-free conditioner and apply as I would the conditioner, but i leave it on a little longer (maybe 10-15 minutes).   lots of wave, no frizz (when mixed with a light, non-heavy condish).   you might need more amla if you have longer hair, or if you need to encourage your wave a little more - mine is just borderline wavy, and the amla gives it soft, loose waves.  hth

BBdck1

Thank you for the replies. I've been wanting to do a henna gloss and an amla treatment and now I can do them both at the same time. I know that you have to wash your hair hair right before a full henna but do I have to wash my hair before I do a gloss?

I'm also a little worry that amla will make my henna more brown. I'm trying to get it to stay as red as it can. Will that be a problem or will the the changes in amla be pretty un-noticable?

Carrie

The color change is slight.

BBdck1

Do I have to wash my hair before I gloss like I would a full application? 

Jen

It's a good idea, yes. Natural oils in your hair can seal the hair and prevent henna, amla, or other treatments from making good contact with individual hairs.

mamaherrera

If you do want to do an amla and henna gloss together, do you mix each separately with water and then to your conditioner, or how??? Alos, do you think if you add some amla as well, you'll still get some color to retouch those roots?????  Do you need to wait for dye release in the henna before doing a gloss or no?

Carrie

You'd use however much henna you want in the gloss, and for the amla you would use 1/4 of the henna amount (amla is acidic so you do not need any other acidic ingredient). Mix henna powder and amla powder together with enough water to make a yogurt-thick paste and let it sit 12 hours for dye release. Then add that to your conditioner.

You can also just add the powders straight into the conditioner but they will take some amount of time to release dye, so I like to let the henna release dye first so I know how much dye-action I'm going to get.

mamaherrera

Thanks for that Carrie, I didn't know you could right away mix the two powders together, that's good info!!  Please don't forget to check out my thread that I made off of your suggestion for getting a light brown for my greys, it's titeld: getting creative with henna/cassia/indigo