First Fair

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seryph
First Fair

Hey guys,

Well I've been hennaing for about three years now, on myself and friends that stop moving long enough. Anyways, in a couple of weeks I have my first gig, I'm slinging at a steampunk bazaar and I just need some advice.

I'm only going to be taking small basicy designs that I know I can do quickly and well, though I'm not entirely sure how much to charge. I know like the Henna Caravan Fivers book, but I'm in the UK and I don't know how much people will pay here. Does anyone know, or could roughly guess?

I usually mix my henna with lemon juice and balsamic vinagar, and use lavender for my terp. Should I take terped henna or should I just mix up a batch without?

Oh, and information sheets, about black henna and stuff. I know someone was talking about them on here somewhere, but now I can't find them!

Thanks guys.

Mani
Re: First Fair

Since almost all festival artists price their work by size and complexity, the HC Fun Fivers book is a good place to start determining your prices.  Not sure what the dollars to pounds conversion rate is right now, but that will give you a starting point at least.  Definitely take terped paste.  Terped paste gives better, longer lasting stains and I would imagine that the lavender covers the vinegar smell.  Incidently, why both vinegar and lemon juice?  One acid should be sufficient, why the extra step?  Not saying there is anything wrong with it, so long as you are getting good stains, just curious.  I'm not sure where you can find info sheets, etc... but if you know the aftercare instructions and black henna warnings (and you should know them by heart before doing henna on the paying public), you can type them up and print them yourself.  That way, you can add your contact information so happy customers can look you up for private appointments.  Hope you have a successful first time out! 

Seryph

Yeah I know the black henna and care guide stuff by heart.

The lemon and vinegar came from a small experiment. I went to make up a batch of new henna (my first attempt with jamilia) and I didn't have anywhere near enough lemon juice, so I added lemon and ginger tea and a little bit of balsamic vinegar. The stain is amazing, on my palms it can get all the way to black, and lasts for ages! So now I use mostly lemon juice with some vinegar (I ran out of the tea).

I hadn't thought of typing them up and putting my details on, that's a really good idea. Thanks! I'm just so nervous...

Seryph

Oh, also how much henna would you recommend I take with me?

Mani

How long will the festival run?  On my very busiest day, 10 hrs, no breaks, head down and henna like mad, I used 5 and 1/2 one ounce cones.  I generally plan for 3 cones and I like to take a couple of spares, just in case.  I pack them frozen and keep them in a small insulated lunch bag with an icepack to keep them fresh.

Seryph

Well, thank you so much for your advice, I felt much more prepared just for going over it all here.

Unfortunately, the organisation of the event was really badly handled and it was a disaster. I ended up doing only four pieces in the five hours we were open and took about $20 dollars... But, now I know I can do henna out there for money.

Eliz. R.

Condolences on a poor first turnout.

I don't do fairs, but maybe consider bringing other things to henna at your next fair -- cloth, candles, wood frames, etc. That way, you're doing something in your down time that might draw interest. (I worked a jewelry booth once and did small repairs in between sales; it seemed to draw attention and get the conversation going, and while they were standing talking to me, people tended to look at the goods for sale. Also it kept me from looking too eager.)

I think that people tend to buy a story, not just an object or service. They can get anonymous-artist objects from stores. If they see you in action, that's part of the story..."I saw this person, I personally liked her work, I bought some. She put this design on my skin just for me. I'm special."