Mixing Henna's

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
frenesi.
Mixing Henna's

Just curious, has anyone mixed different types of henna.?   I don't mean indigo or cassa into the mix. 

I mean like Yeman and say Purity.   I was thinking of mixing the two so that the Purity would

cut down alittle on the high dye content of the Yeman.

What do you think ????

ACWN
Re: Mixing Henna's

I'm not sure it would work that way. Purity's dye content is 2.3, Yemen's is 2.4. They're both pretty high. I would personally think mixing them would be combining the dye content, not cutting one down. I dont mean you'd end up with a dye content 4.7, but it would be pretty strong I'd think.

kcr

Yeah, they are too close in dye content to make any visible difference, I would think.

Just choose one or the other, and if you want to dilute the dye content, choose a different henna or do a strong gloss.

Mixing in a quantity of paprika would probably dilute it out some, but the paprika would most likely cost more than the henna. (It desn't change the final color, so don;t add it trying to do that--it is just a waste of time...but it does stretch the henna while wasting money ;P)

Carrie

Combining a 2.3 dye content henna with a 2.4 dye content henna in equal quantities would give you a 2.35 dye content mix.

Agree with the suggestion to simply make a gloss with any henna that gives more dye than you're after.

frenesi.

OK,  well thats out then.   If you use the cassa in say Purity would that cut a little dyeing

power.    Would you still have to worry about the Cassa and hair going green or is that only

if you are using it alone.?   I could use one of the hennas with less dye content but do like

the fact that the Yemen is suppose to cover the gray so well.  

ACWN

Cassia does not turn your hair green. It has a yellow dye. The only time it can cause a weird color is if your water is very hard, and then it usually turns black. Indigo can turn your hair green if you bleach it as it has a blue/green/gray dye and it can appear slightly green the first day.

A lower dye content henna isnt going to cover your grays very well. If you want to cover them, you will need to use a high dye content henna like Yemen. You can cut it with cassia depending on what color you want, or you can do a gloss which would be cheaper than cassia if you're planning on using very little henna because it would basically be the same thing.

kcr

Okay, I am not arguing or contradicting here, but a gloss of 2 oz. frozen PP in a cup of Tresemme Naturals conditioner covers my grey just fine.  It does't make it as *dark* as the non-grey hair (of which there is less and less all the time), but it is definitely not grey anymore. It looks like streaks of highlights. 

I haven't tried a gloss with the Pakistani that comes in the Fire Bundle, but when I used it with the cassia, it still covered the grey, too. So I am pretty sure that full-strength it would cover the grey.

(Note that with chemical coloring my grey was very stubborn and even if the color "took" it washed off within a week.)

Everyone's hair *is* different, though.  But if you are not aiming for dark auburn, experiment with other hennas besides the high-powered ones, even if you have plenty of grey.

Carrie

"a gloss of 2 oz. frozen PP in a cup of Tresemme Naturals conditioner covers my grey just fine.  It does't make it as *dark* as the non-grey hair (of which there is less and less all the time), but it is definitely not grey anymore. It looks like streaks of highlights. "

I'll second this. My grays aren't dye resistant at all, they'll take color from cassia, a dilute henna gloss, or whatever I throw at them. Not the darkest color, but color, yeah.

My husband's grays were very well covered (with vivid orange) by BAQ2 when we used to do 2-step henna/indigo for black. Maybe when people say things like "Punjabi Prime won't cover gray" they're talking about getting beyond the orange color on first crack?

Jen

"Maybe when people say things like "Punjabi Prime won't cover gray" they're talking about getting beyond the orange color on first crack?"

I think that's true Carrie. For those of us with dark hair, those orange tinted grays can look bazar enough to make you want to stay inside until its resolved!

I also think that everybody has different hair. Some can get gray coverage with much less dye-rich henna than others. It's as much an art as a science!!!