color change back and forth

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
finethinhair
color change back and forth

Hello All.  seeking advice on what Henna colors to use

*seeking to first use Henna to dye hair an Irish - reddish (not orange) color for the summer, and then for the winter change to a Mahogany/Auburn color, and then back to the summer red color, keeping in mind the out growth and how this is to be handled....  Is this possible??

*my current hair is salon chemical dye color of a cinnamon color with some red but it's fading.

*my natural hair color is a light brown or as I call it a dirty dish water blonde.  I have very very little grey that can be mistaken as blonde highlights in my natural hair growth.

Is this possible to do, and if so, what products would I need.  I'm ready to order from this site but not sure what to order.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Carrie
Re: color change back and forth

For the Irish red, use a lower dye content henna like Yemen Light applied for about 2 hours.

For the Mahogany/auburn, repeat henna about 3-4 more times, or switch to a higher dye content henna and do it 1-2 times. If it's not brown enough, add some indigo to the mix (probably not more than 20-30% indigo). If you do this, you cannot lighten your hair again, though.

You can only go back to the lighter color after that by bleaching or lightening your hair some other way, like Honey lightening. You can't lighten the already hennaed hair by appying more henna or any other plant dye. You can, however, switch to doing your roots only and gradually transition them to the lighter color.

xyz

finethinhair,

I think what you want to do is not impossible, but it would be very hard to achieve reliably and then keep up.  Henna is most unequivocally permanent:  it does not fade, and adding more on top only makes it a deeper and cooler red.  So even if you started in winter with a dark auburn and treated your roots to a progressively lighter mix (with cassia added, for example, or maybe with increasing amounts of conditioner) every time you touch up, I'm afraid your hair wouldn't grow fast enough to get you to light Irish red by summer. 

If I were you, I would consider using Yemen Light (as Carrie suggested) and applying a few times until you achieve the deeper "winter" shade you want, then doing highlights when summer comes around. 

xyz

Oh, I had another idea!  How about making the henna deeper/darker (more towards mahogany) by using buxus, and then letting the buxus fade as summer approaches?  You could still highlight (chemically) if you wanted to add more brightness, something you can't do if you ever use indigo.  Once summer is over, you could start short buxus or henna/buxus glosses every other week to slowly restore the dark red again.  That might work!

finethinhair

Thanks xyz

this idea just might work for me and what I want to achieve.

So does Buxus add some darkness but can fade over time?

And when you add Buxus to regular conditioner, what does this result in? 

Can Clover powder be used to darken too? and help with the smell?

I am leaning towards using a green tea solution instead of lemon juice, do you have any suggestions for a solution to tone down the orange?

Thanks again

kelly

xyz

Kelly,

I suggested the buxus and see you have some follow up questions.  I'll try to answer what hasn't been addressed:

Yes, Buxus is a plant dye that, mixed with henna, makes darker and/or browner colors.  Unlike indigo, it tends to fade in about a month.  Also, highlighting/bleaching after buxus is OK, something you cannot do if you have indigo in your hair.  Since you want to go back and forth between lighter and darker "red" shades, you could use the fading nature of buxus to your advantage. 

You'll see the mix of conditioner and plant dyes (henna, buxus, indigo, etc.) refered to as "glosses" on this forum.  They are basically a way to dilute the dye to add minimal color--sometimes used to tone down a color that resulted too vibrant, or to perk up the color of one's length, or by very light-haired people who jwant to add just a hint or wash of color.  There's more info on how to make and use them on the FAQ section of the home page.  You'll find information on buxus there too.

I think when you wrote "clover" you mean ground cloves, right?  You can use powdered/ground cloves to help disguise the "earthy" smell of henna.  Ground ginger powder works too, as do pumpkin spice and nutmeg.  Cinammon works but makes some people develop and itchy scalp--better not use it, just in case.  None of these add-ons will do anything to change the color permantly, though.  Don't believe people who say that ground coffee or red wine will make the color redder or browner.  You might see a bit of an initial color change but it washes off immediately--and can make you jittery and dizzy!

Tea (herbal is best if you're sensitive to caffeine) and apple juice are good choices if you want to avoid lemon juice.  Different liquids might perhaps change a bit the speed in which your color oxidizes and moves from very bright orange to its final shade, but not everyone notices it and the difference is insignificant in the long run.  So choose something that will work with your scalp and hair.  Milder is always better, in my opinion, since the final shade will be the same regardless of what liquid you use. 

Hoping this helped,

xyz

finethinhair

Very helpful...

I think I'm ready to order some samples now to try on my strand test. Gonna order the Yemen and buxus, and start with maybe a 80/20 mix using green tea with maybe a tsp or two of clove powder since I like the smell of it and then test it after about 2 hrs to see if it's ready.  If it turns out too red then I'll try the buxus conditioner method for a while.  Since I just had my hair chemically dyed about two months ago my roots have not grown out that much.

I was in a Health Food store yesterday and happened to see the Rainbow Henna and can't believe that they do not warn you to not put chemical dyes on your hair after using the Rainbow henna,  no where on their packaging did they mention this, only stated that it was "organic" no chemicals added... you have to go on their website under FAQ to see about how to remove their henna, their product is very misleading.

Thanks.. will post my results after all is done.

:)

finethinhair

Thanks Carrie... I think from reading more post, I may try to stay away from the Indigo for this time..

but what is Honey lightening ?

Thanks again..

kelly

Carrie

Ktani on the Long Hair Community forum tells about the honey lightening method: 

forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php

Clove powder helps the smell but does not darken. Buxus will make the color browner and less orange.

Shirley

Henna is permenent color it never comes out, it will grow out but you cannot remove or cover it because it will come back through the chemical dye.I did my daughters very light colored hair and it was extremely red and had to grow out.

Carrie

20% buxus is not enough to change the color of henna much, so I'd use at least 30-40% buxus if you want to tone down the orange.

xyz

Yes, buxus doesn't have as "strong" a presence as indigo; you'll need more of it to "brown" your henna, especially if you choose a henna with a higher dye content.  Thanks Carrie!  (How long have you been advising people on this forum?  Just curious! You know sooooooo much, and you can see through the potential problems so easily! Good work!)

Carrie

Thanks  : ) 

xyz, I think you've been around the henna forum at least as long as I have, no?  I know I've been here since 2005 but not sure how much before that? 

xyz

Carrie,

You were "working" this forum loooong before I even found it.  I've been around for maybe 3 years?  I started bc it seemed like a good, casual way to practice my English while sharing my love of henna, and now I do it bc in my spare time I volunteer for a crisis hotline...and reading/writing helps me stay awake and alert when I'm on call at very odd times of the day!

On behalf of all of us who have benefited from your expertise and kind advice, thank you for all the years you've been encouraging us to take the plunge--and for talking us off the ledge when things don't go as planned!

Carrie

It's my pleasure : )

finethinhair

I did my strand test and did not get much of a color change.

used green tea, did one batch with 60% henna(yemen) and 40% buxus.  let henna dye release for 2 hrs with stain result on palm, mixed in buxus w/warm water and waited for  3 1/2 hrs but no red, only a very small darkening.

my current color is very light brown/auburn color now.

I don't want to use lemon juice any suggestions?

thanks