Sadaf Henna Black

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christy
Sadaf Henna Black

I purchased some Natural Henna Black at a local reputable Indian grocery.  It is Sadaf name brand and is labeled as Superior Quality.  This company apparently is located in Los Angeles California and is a Mediterranean Gourmet foods company.   It is a greenish powder and has a use by date stamp.  Is this natural henna?  Is it safe to use on skin?

thanks,
Christy

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Sadaf Henna Black

No way on earth is it henna.  If it smells like frozen peas, it might be vashma, fermented indigo, which is often sold as "black henna".  its not henna, and its not black, but that's what it used to be called.

Vashma is pretty useless on skin, unless you want a slightly moldy look.

Christy
Re: Sadaf Henna Black

Thanks.  We recently went to Panama City Beach, FL and my daughter got a black henna tattoo at the new Pier Park Mall there that caters to tourists.  The girls running it were Middle Eastern.  Fortunately, she did not have an adverse reaction.  I am just EXTREMELY glad that i found out about this before I got one.  I have very sensitive skin and already have some serious health issues. I certainly didn't need any more.

I sincerely appreciate all the information on this that you have provided here.  I think I will stick to making sure I purchase Henna that is legit to put on my kids.   Also, with all the instructions you have here, I can create mehndi using my own gels.   I already have cosmetic grade colors and metallics because I use them in making glass beads (my other hobby).

Thanks so much for everyone's effort on this site

Christy

Tallahassee, FL USA