Obglitory Introduction!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Djerrine
Obglitory Introduction!

Yep, like the title says, this is my obligatory introduction. In case you're wondering, I picked my username "Djerrine" because it is Albanian for "wasteland"- which I think is fitting since I live near the Sonoran Desert in Arizona. I live in a small town that has more animals than people (I'm not complaining, I love donkeys and horses), and is quite near the Mexican border. (That means that one of these days, I will finally be able to go to Mexico, just to say that I did.)

I am a full-time college student, currently studying to become a PI (it is a full course with forty classes) and also taking Forensic Science. In addition to this, I am a treasure hunter, gamer (I prefer fantasy and post-apocalyptic RPGs), and beginning gardener. (Currently growing some veggies and two varieties of catnip, I will have Black and White Sapote, Abiu, Rollinia, and Pawpaw plants shipped to me after the monsoon.) The only other interesting things I can say about myself is that I illustrate childrens' books for my Mom, who is a new author, and that I have four cats- two were strays that attached themselves to me, one is a Norwegian Forest Kitten that was given to me, and the fourth is my little rescue kitty.

Anyway, I am almost twenty-seven, and while I am new to the forums, I am not new to henna. I will be the first to admit that I am very adventurous when it comes to making paste to use on myself. My most recent adventure is one that I am currently wearing now, which I have decided to call "Chaos." So far, it seems to work exceptionally well.

But I when I do henna on others, I use a slight variation on the tried-and-true KISS recipe. The only alterations that I make to it is that I use twice as much sugar (dark brown sugar) than what's called for (because right now, the temperatures are in the triple digits and I don't want to risk the henna cracking.)

Depending on whether the person I am doing henna on has allergies or not, I may add an additional oil for scent. (I am no professional artist, I just do it for fun on myself, my roommates, and my friends.)

desertholly
Re: Obglitory Introduction!

Dear Djerrine,

Welcome.  I'm another sonoran desert dweller, though not in such a small town.  I use extra sugar as well, though I cut back of necessity during the monsoon.  I once had a large design literally melt off of a client when he got into his car (that had been sitting in the sun) to drive home.  I got a frantic phone call, drove back to meet him where the appointment had been, wiped it almost all off and retraced the design (which was fortunately just dark enough already to see).  I found out later that he got a killer stain that lasted a long time (the design was on both arms).  This was during August.  Learned my lesson on that one. 

Holly

Djerrine
Re: Obglitory Introduction!

Thank you, Holly. =3

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one in the desert that does henna. =3 You're lucky your town isn't as small as this one is, though. ^.^ (There's just rarely anything to do, though exploring when it's cool enough to do so is a lot of fun.) I can imagine it's going to be necessary to cut back on sugar when the monsoon hits, hearing that the design melted. That would have sucked something fierce, though it is good that you could at least see his design to trace over. ^.^ Talk about luck! Haha, yeah, experience is usually the best way to learn- though it would have been a real pain, especially since it looks like August is the hottest month of the year.

Yep, this is going to end up being my first monsoon, and it might sound strange, but I'm looking forward to it. I've lived in all fifty states during my lifetime, but I was raised in Arizona for several years- so it was time to come back home. ^.^