caring for hennaed hair

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ziddy
caring for hennaed hair

I know henna oxidizes for about a week after it's put in, after that is there any care that can be done to maintain the color? I know Carrie had some test strands that changed after 12 weeks still. Is this more oxidzining even at 12 weeks or does it change from shampooing and other factors? I also oil my hair weekly, will that change the color overtime or not?

Should I use shampoo and conditioners for 'color treated' hair to prevent fading or color changes (silly question, I know, but I still consider it coloring my hair even though it's henna)? I'm sure after a couple of years the color won't be so vibrant, do I need to refresh the color every now and then by doing glosses or light 30 minute hennas?

ACWN
Re: caring for hennaed hair

The samples you're talking about are probably the tests she did on freezing henna prior to dye release and after dye release, but I could be wrong. If you use lemon juice, your color will continue to darken indefinitely, but it happens very gradually so you may not notice it for some time.

Oiling will not change your color unless you oil right before you henna. Squeaky clean hair is best.

What shampoo you use is your call, not everyone needs the same. For me Tresseme is what my hair likes now and it doesnt hurt the color. For me Suave Professionals stripped the color.

If you can stop yourself from henna-ing more than once a year, then by all means. However most of us do full head hennas twice a year (sometimes more depending on what they do to their hair and the color they have to start with) and roots every 3 to 6 weeks. Once you have the color you want, its roots only until you feel you need to perk up the color (by gloss or a full application for the normal time) otherwise the color will go dark on you and you'll have to lighten.

BBdck1

"Once you have the color you want, its roots only until you feel you need to perk up the color (by gloss or a full application for the normal time) otherwise the color will go dark on you and you'll have to lighten."

Does this mean that if you do gloss or full head with henna, the color won't go dark on you?

kcr

>>Does this mean that if you do gloss or full head with henna, the color won't go dark on you?

If you do full-head hennas, eventually it will reach saturation, which is too dark for me, so *for me* it continues to darken, just from the multiple applications.

So far, I have not had glosses darken on me, doing them exclusively (no full-head henna) since February, every two weeks.  (And I do a strong gloss with PP dyr-released with chamomile tea.)

Carrie

My hair holds on to henna like crazy so any little bit I add, be it in gloss form or mixed with cassia or whatever, will build up. I don't get fading to speak of. However, I am a henna junkie and sometimes find myself doing it even though I know it will darken. I love the rich color and the way my hair feels when it's henna-saturated, but with my coloring (lots of pink/peach in my skin) the lighter muted strawberry blonde/light auburn looks better, I think, and to maintain that I have to do roots-only.

My 12-week-oxidized-henna photos (strand tests on my Flickr page:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/  )  have had nothing done to them after they were dyed. They have not been shampooed or exposed to light. I keep them in a drawer and only take them out for photos. So the changes you see over time are from oxidation only. The more acidic mixes, like the amla ones and lemon juice ones, have more noticeable gradual darkening (browning) over long periods of time. The only one that truly faded (lost its depth of color and went to a flat dull lighter orange) is the boiling water mix.

Carrie

Oh, about care: for most people henna doesn't fade much and isn't easy to strip with shampoo so you don't have to use special shampoos.

I use a pretty strong clarifying shampoo every few weeks and my hair seems to like it. In between I use shampoo bars from Mehandi (I've tried others from a couple of the most popular vendors and yeah, they're not as good at making my hair feel very clean but moist and full of body) most of the time, and other commercial shampoos now and then, and sometimes I do a conditioner-only wash.

Now that my hair is longer (bra strap) and I've been hitting the bleach again I also use a good amount of cheap conditioner (Trader Joes, Suave, VO5 etc) on the length and don't rinse it all out - that really helps with moisture, leaving some of it in your hair when rinsing!